Jason Brown was AMAZING! What was NBC thinking?! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown was AMAZING! What was NBC thinking?!

lavender

Record Breaker
I love Jason's long program. I decided to watch it for the first time yesterday and I wind up watching it 3 times. No one seems to be talking about him. I wasn't really into his short but his skating in the long has won me over. I think he has more talented than Evan and if he improves as he gets older he will definitely be better.

Last edited:

feraina

Record Breaker
I love Jason's long program. I decided to watch it for the first time yesterday and I wind up watching it 3 times.

Only 3? ;) I started at 11:30, and had to peel myself away at 2:30. :p

It's amazing that he received not a single -GOE mark from any of the judges in the FS, unique among the men. And all his elements got some +2's except for two jump elements. He really maxed out on the GOE's, a direct reflection of the perfection of his performance.

What I don't understand is how he could have gotten less than 7 in skating skills and transitions, especially transitions. I thought he had more numerous, better choreographed and more smoothly skated transitions than anyone else. At lease they gave him 7.54 for performance/execution in recognition of the stellar show he put out there (personally I would've given him more if Dornbush & Miner got 7.71, and Rippon got 7.96), but oh, well, for a first-time senior, those are good PCS's.

If he medals at JW, he will have earned a GP assignment for next season; and if he wins then he's likely to earn two spots, as JW champions often do. But Hersh's article seems to suggest that he will stay on JGP circuit next year. Maybe he and his coach want him to try out the 3A in programs in JGP first? That could be wise. Although Patrick Chan and Adam Rippon are both struggling through their 3A-learning phase in the full glare of the senior circuit, and have been doing all right so far. I think Jason is way more naturally talented than Evan Lysacek, I understand he and his coach don't want to get ahead of themselves, but I think he should aim higher than Evan did at this stage in his career. I wish singles skaters could do JGP and GP simultaneously like pairs. Sui/Han and Takahashi/Tran did very well this season down that route. They got the opportunity to get add new technical difficulty and get comfortable with their programs early in the season on the JGP circuit, then go out and test waters at the senior level too without high pressure/expectation to do amazingly well (though both did). Both of these teams grew by leaps and bounds this season, and I think being able to do SGP as well as JGP really helped with that.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Jason's fabulous SP is also on youtube now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaTW6dT3Yjc

Of all the American kids, he's the only one I would be giving huge PCS scores to.

He was severely wuzrobbed in this SP, particularly in PCS.

The reasons are all bad:
1. He's only 16
2. It's his first US Nationals
3. He doesn't have a 3A

The crowd gave him huge standing ovations for both performances (SP & LP)

I wish him huge luck at Jr Worlds, because if he wins, he will surely go senior next year :)

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Enough with the praise, it's time to nit pick.

Why does he do that 2flip~2axel sequence in the FS? And it was intended to be a 2flip, since he does two 3flips elsewhere in the FS. Even if he gets across the board +2 on the GOE (which he didn't at US nationals), it's still a lower score than the base mark of a 2axel/2toe combo. Is he incapable of doing combos after an axel jump? If he can, he really should change that to a 2axel/2toe combo. This would add +.62 to his base marks and give him more time to add another transition or take a breather.

Ponytails are never cool. Please chop that abomination off.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just saw Jason's LP at Nationals on YouTube. Wow he was incredible. Great speed and flow and he never telegraphed his jumps it's like they just came out of nowhere. I see great things for this kid. He won't even peak until 2018 so 2014 might be more of a learning experience for him just like Turin was great experience for Lysacek.

I like the ponytail. He looks like just another skateboarder... other skaters may not take him seriously. Hehe. Strategy.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe Jason will be the Shaun White of men's skater. Hasn't worked out to bad for Shaun now has it? Granted figure skating is a bit more old fashioned than the snowboarders. LOL

Nadine

Record Breaker
Well I think he should try ice dance as well, he reminded me of an ice dancer out there, all's he needs now is a partner. I think he should do BOTH.

Btw, the first time I saw him I thought of Mitch from the 1993 movie "Dazed and Confused" ~ :cool:

http://a.onionstatic.com/images/articles/article/25718/mitch_jpg_300x1000_q85.jpg

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/pho...encaps-dazed-and-confused-9550986-720-480.jpg

http://www.ourkitchensink.com/wp-co...nd-confused-mitch-kramer-our-kitchen-sink.jpg

http://www.keira-anne.com/wp-conten...onaughey-jason-london-wiley-wiggins-pic-2.jpg

childfreegirl

Final Flight
I just watched both programs. I loved them. I like the ponytail. He's different. I like different. Maybe that just makes me weird. I remember seeing the videos of him last year at Nats. I loved him then too. :thumbsup:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Enough with the praise, it's time to nit pick.

Why does he do that 2flip~2axel sequence in the FS? And it was intended to be a 2flip, since he does two 3flips elsewhere in the FS. Even if he gets across the board +2 on the GOE (which he didn't at US nationals), it's still a lower score than the base mark of a 2axel/2toe combo. Is he incapable of doing combos after an axel jump? If he can, he really should change that to a 2axel/2toe combo.

It's stylistically much better than a 2Axel-2Toe. Thus, if the judges actually knew what they were doing, he would in fact be receiving more points for that 2Flip+2Axel sequence because it improves the choreography of the program.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
It's stylistically much better than a 2Axel-2Toe. Thus, if the judges actually knew what they were doing, he would in fact be receiving more points for that 2Flip+2Axel sequence because it improves the choreography of the program.

Haha, if judges knew what they were doing. You funny... looking.

Speaking of funny looking, how is a 2flip~2axel sequence stylistically better than a 2a/2t? I have no preference for one or the other, and the timing of a 2a/2t can be fitted just as well into the musical accents in that part of the music. And if he can tano up that flip I'm sure he could tano up that 2t, if that's the stylistic superiority you mean. I don't see how one jumping pass is more stylish than the other. Unless you have some personal preference for 2flips or jump sequences ending with 2axels, which is fine and all but the judges can hardly be expected to share your taste in this one regard.

feraina

Record Breaker
Speaking of funny looking, how is a 2flip~2axel sequence stylistically better than a 2a/2t?

Lots of people do 2A-2T, how many do 2F-2A? ;) That alone makes it more stylish in my book. :rock:

Plus, the timing of the 2F and 2A are perfect for the music, individually.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
It's choreographically superior because it comes out of nowhere. After landing his 3Loop he quickly moves across the width of the rink and goes into a series of turns. We think he's just going to keep skating around the corner of the rink, that kind of pattern and movement do not indicate an upcoming jump at all, but instead he's suddenly doing a tano 2Flip and then adding to the surprise of that moment by following it up with a bigger jump - the 2Axel. It's a great moment; the proportion and timing of the sequence is very pleasing.

A 2Axel-2Toe would require more of a setup and probably look small rather than unique, even if there was a tano arm used on the 2Toe.

feraina

Record Breaker
It's choreographically superior because it comes out of nowhere. After landing his 3Loop he quickly moves across the width of the rink and goes into a series of turns. We think he's just going to keep skating around the corner of the rink, that kind of pattern and movement do not indicate an upcoming jump at all, but instead he's suddenly doing a tano 2Flip and then adding to the surprise of that moment by following it up with a bigger jump - the 2Axel. It's a great moment; the proportion and timing of the sequence is very pleasing.

A 2Axel-2Toe would require more of a setup and probably look small rather than unique, even if there was a tano arm used on the 2Toe.

That's what I meant, Blades said it better. :)

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Of course a double jump requires less setup and is more of a surprise, but that applies to any jump in the program. Doubling any triple to fit in more transitions, however, would not help with the scores.

In this case, this is a jumping plan that forces Jason to use a jump sequence even though he doesn't have to. Jump sequences get a steep discount under the COP, skaters should avoid them unless they're really necessary to fit in the maximum amount of allowed jumps that a skater is capable of. Jason has plenty of surprise jumps (like the 3sal at the end directly out of footwork, or the 3lutz/3toe out of a reverse direction loop at the beginning, come to think of it, would a 2a/2t require that much more setup from Jason?) in the program already, and plenty of nice choreographic moments in the program. A not so nice surprise is if someone beats him by .62 points, which is what he loses with the jump sequence.

Of course this is a minor minor nitpick. And really, the real problem is how the COP penalizes jump sequences. I'm sure Jason can win just fine with the sequence, but if he loses by those points I'mma say I told you so all the same.

Last edited:

lavender

Record Breaker
If Rohene Ward choreographed that long program then I hope he starts to get more business.

feraina

Record Breaker
come to think of it, would a 2a/2t require that much more setup from Jason?

I think it would. If you look at both his SP and FS, 2A is the jump that stands out as needing the longest setup time from him, everything else comes straight out of and into footwork/transitions. Oh, actually, the 3R takes him some time to set up as well, and that's one jump he doesn't get very high GOE on, although the one he did here was already way better than the ones he did at Sectionals or JGP's.