why i don't think they will ever put michelle kwan into any hof | Page 2 | Golden Skate

why i don't think they will ever put michelle kwan into any hof

I don't know why, Seniorita, but we are brimful of Halls of Fame over here. There's one for everything; baseball, football, even rock and roll. The thing you put your handprints in is what used to be Graumann's Theater, something that's separate from the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Graumann's was a completely commercial affair, not a hall of fame--though some amazing people ended up imprinting themselves in the concrete.

This Wikipedia list of Halls of Fame is pretty mind-boggling:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_halls_and_walks_of_fame

In our country, I'd say the Baseball Hall of Fame is probably the best known. For instance, I'm not a baseball expert, but I can name a lot of Hall of Fame players. I couldn't tell you who's in the football one or the basketball one, though I know that they must exist.

There is a World Figure Skating Hall of Fame, and it's in Colorado Springs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Figure_Skating_Hall_of_Fame

Well, this is confusing: the U.S. Figure Skating Hall of Fame is located within the World one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Figure_Skating_Hall_of_Fame

I guess a skater could be a member of both, and I anticipate that Michelle will be.

A, so this is what it is MK Trophy, the most popular athlete of US. I didn't know this! Makes sense now!

The official name of the award itself is the Skating Magazine Reader's Choice Award. People who subscribe to this USFSA magazine can vote for their favorite U.S. skater. (The 1991 winner was Tonya Harding.)

Michelle won it seven times, so in 2003 the USFSA thought it was no fun if the same person won every year (sort of like U.S. Nationals), so they re-named the trophy the "Michelle Kwan Trophy" and declared Michelle to be ineligible to enter the contest any more. :laugh:

Synchro teams have won twice. I guess by the time everyone on the team voted, together with their friends and families, that added up to a lot of votes.

For the 2009-2010 season, when Evan Lysacek won the World Championship and the Olympic gold medal, the winner of the Reader's Choice Award was ...Johnny Weir. :)

Hey, everybody, vote for Alissa for 2011!

Ok, I thought hall of fame is this thing you put your step or your hands in mud on the street somewhere in LA(?) and then they make it a star? And it is your own tile. No?

As Toni says, the star thing is the Hollywood Walk of Fame. They honor people in the entertainment business. For instance, both Lassie and Rin-tin-tin (two dogs -- a collie and a German shepherd -- who starred in television shows of the 1950s and 60s) have their stars there.

Lassie's most famous line was, "Woof!", which means "Timmy fell down the well!"

In terms of acting talent, I'm afraid we have to admit it -- Michelle is no Rin-tin-tin.

Sonia Henie is there, though. For her movies, not her competitive skating.

As Olympia mentioned, the hands and feet thing is Grauman's Chinese Theater. (Unfortunately for Michelle, there is nothing Chinese about it. :) ) Only one athlete is honored with his hands in the mud, Kobe Bryant last year.

The selection process for the World Figure Skating Hall of Fame for 2011 is going on right now. Here are the nominees. Notable are Lori Nichol, Sonia Bianchetti (world's biggest thorn in Cinquanta's side),and "Mr. Frack" of the ice comedy team of Frick and Frack. :rock:

http://www.worldskatingmuseum.org/2011_nominees.htm

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
The selection process for the World Figure Skating Hall of Fame for 2011 is going on right now. Here are the nominees. Notable are Lori Nichol, Sonia Bianchetti (world's biggest thorn in Cinquanta's side),and "Mr. Frack" of the ice comedy team of Frick and Frack. :rock:

http://www.worldskatingmuseum.org/2011_nominees.htm

don't forget the Olympic Hall of Fame...

Skate Canada/Canada in general have different Hall of Fames as well.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
why-so called eligibility-sarah didn't give it up-she just didn't skate. however because michelle is chinese, and usfsa federation, past skaters don't like her they will use the "eligibilty" to keep her out of it despite fulfiling every other way.not to mention her race.
why that makes me upset is they went out of their ways to bend the rules for tara to get to worlds, went out of their to help nicole behind scenes with her issues, they went out of their to help belbin get into olympics with citizenship, helped sasha get two gp events, bascially didn't have to skate all that way for olympics.

Number 1, Michelle is not Chinese, she is American. Number 2, Michelle is the most beloved US skater of the past 30 years, by both the fans and the USFSA. When--not if--she is inducted, there will be a big celebration and lots of publicity by the US federation. You can count on it.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
As far as I know, there are 2 halls of fame for skating. There is the U.S. Hall of Fame and the international Hall of Fame. I think you have to be retired for 5 years to get into either.
So let's say Michelle officially retires when she turns 70 in 2050, she will be eligible for both halls of fame in 2055. :)

niami

Rinkside
For the 2009-2010 season, when Evan Lysacek won the World Championship and the Olympic gold medal, the winner of the Reader's Choice Award was ...Johnny Weir. :)
Evan won the World Championship in the 2008-2009 season, and he won the 2009 Reader's Choice Award.

heyang

Record Breaker
Michelle is an American of Chinese ancestry - that's the way I describe myself, as well.

I seriously doubt there's prejudice against Michelle in the skating world. As other's have cited, she IS American skating - winning US Nationals 9 times, representing the US at 3 Olympics and umpteen World Champions. If you ask many in the general public, there are many who think she won the Olympic gold multiple times.

I don't think she has to declare her retirement. However, I do think the 5 yr waiting period begins after her last season where she did not attempt to compete. Torino was 2006. So, if you count 5 yrs from that point, she should be in consideration this year or the next.

BTW, it took 7 years for Sarah Hughes to be inducted into the US hall of fame. She last competed in 2003. Meno and Sand were also inducted in 2010 and their last Olympics was 1998. Kristi entered the hall of fame in 1998 - 6 yrs after her last eligible competition. Lipinski entered in 2006 - 8 yrs after her last eligible competition in 1998. Kerrigan didn't enter the HofF until 2004......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Figure_Skating_Hall_of_Fame

I couldn't find anything official on entry qualifications.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
1. Purely on merit base, Michelle should have no problem being inducted into both the US hof and the International hof.
2. Let's then take into account the political considerations.

US Hall of Fame:
"Politically correct" conscious inductee selection members will go out of their way to induce Michelle so as not to look like they are "racists." :p;

International Hall of Fame:
If I follow the UN model, most European nations except Britain may look for ways to undercut US inductees in the name of "providing counterbalance to the US superpower";
Russia of course will veto anything favorable to US;
China tends to take the same position as Russia except Michelle is ethnic Chinese, so China may come around;
Japan will be "doubly favorable" to Michelle because Japan in general loves anything American, and Japan feels guilty toward Chinese;
Korea will go with the flow, especially since their national heroin, Yuna idolizes Michelle;
Islamic nations may take dim view of what the "infidels" do. However, thankfully, too few Islamic countries currently are active in our sports, so their opinions have negligible impact at the time of Michelle's induction.Whew!

So anyway you look at it, Michelle is the shoo in! :laugh:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
^^Looks like the Kween can't lose with your expert analysis. ;)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Michelle is an American of Chinese ancestry - that's the way I describe myself, as well.
Thank goodness there is someone who understands semantics and using them correctly.

I say the 5 year clock starts ticking 3 years ago at least.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The original premise is ridiculous, IMHO. I am confident that she will eventually be inducted into it. She is certainly deserving of the honor.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I say the 5 year clock starts ticking 3 years ago at least.

It probably only started ticking last year. At 2009 Worlds she was still saying "maybe I'll come back, I'm doing Triples again, we'll see"."

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
To my knowledge, the clock starts when she officially retires.
We may have to wait years or decades.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
We may have to wait years or decades.
LOL, good point. What if a skater goes to adult am? would this mean that they never would get inducted? - purely hypothetical, I don't see why they wouldn't go for the pro status if they were that much in the media eye / in the "top spots."

this makes me wonder if anyone has done this? Is it even a possibility?

Snoopy

Rinkside
I think Michelle will be in the HOF, she is one of the (if not the) most decorated American skaters. Aside from that, she is certainly one of the most beloved. Unfortunately, since she did not win an Olympic gold medal, she will be left out of any tributes for gold medal winners, naturally. I can't imagine that the USFSA would have anything "against" Michelle as she did so much for US figure skating and even kept her nose clean while she did it. She's a shoo-in and I wouldn't worry about it.

heyang

Record Breaker
Michelle is a guarantee for the halls of fame.
It's Sarah I'm not so sure about.

Sarah Hughes? For which HOF? She's already in the US FS Hall of Fame. I can't say that Sarah deserves to be in the Olympic or World FS Hall of fame? THen again, I don't know if she's continued to promote skating behind the scenes or not.