Entry Lists/Predictions | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Entry Lists/Predictions

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
he also posted a picture of the gash and it is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo gross... my toes will not uncurl and I saw the photo over five minutes ago! ICK!

Thank god I missed that! I feel bad they're season has been cut so short:(

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Tonichelle the pic wound up being in my news feed, all I can say is gross and I hope they gave him great pain killers.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I can't believe I looked. I thought it would be post stitches , not pre. It looks awfully deep.
How horrible for them !

Antilles

Medalist
Utako Wakamatsu, who had a successful career as a pair skater (a few podium finishes in GPS and 4CC) competing for Canada, retired when she realised she would not be able to represent Japan in the Olympics as her partner was not willing to obtain Japanese citizenship - or was it not possible for him to do so perhaps? - my memory fails me here.

Wakamatsu actually competed for Canada, and was going to try for Canadian citizenship. She had a change of heart the year before the Olympics, and decided she did not want to give up her Japanese citizenship. Not being eligible to compete at the Olympics for Canada was a disappointment for both partners. There was never discussion (that I am aware of) of Fecteau trying for Japanese citizenship. I think that would have been considered more difficult to achieve than Canadian citizenship, and therefore was not considered.

mot

On the Ice
Wakamatsu actually competed for Canada, and was going to try for Canadian citizenship. She had a change of heart the year before the Olympics, and decided she did not want to give up her Japanese citizenship. Not being eligible to compete at the Olympics for Canada was a disappointment for both partners. There was never discussion (that I am aware of) of Fecteau trying for Japanese citizenship. I think that would have been considered more difficult to achieve than Canadian citizenship, and therefore was not considered.

Thank you so much for your clarification! I'll add a note to my original post to avoid confusion.

I sometimes wish IOC would loosen the regulations for pairs and couples with different nationalities, and allow them to represent one of the countries. It must be such a hard decision to make - whether to take nationality or chance for competing at the Olympics. I know such a change could open a can of warms in more than one way, but still...

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
Oh my God, that is horrible. :cry: I wish Jeremy a complete recovery. By the way, I also saw the photo, and it looked so gross!

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
He had also posted that it was his fault, he and Caydee were doing side by side jumps and he did not have speed coming out of the jump and Caydee' s blade hit his leg. Hope he recovers quickly!

gold12345

Medalist
Oh my god, poor Jeremy Barrett :eek: That wound is so nasty! I had trouble looking at it and things like that normally don't bother me. Wow. So sad it had to happen right before the competition too. I hope he recovers quickly.

NMURA

Medalist
Thank you so much for your clarification! I'll add a note to my original post to avoid confusion.

I sometimes wish IOC would loosen the regulations for pairs and couples with different nationalities, and allow them to represent one of the countries. It must be such a hard decision to make - whether to take nationality or chance for competing at the Olympics. I know such a change could open a can of warms in more than one way, but still...

I don't think that would ever happen. The main actors of the Olympics are nations, not individual athletes. Japanese citizenship regulations are extremely strict. The conditions are -- you have to live in Japan for ten years, with a permanent job, and sufficient Japanese language skills. Tran has almost no chance to obtain it. But without a national pair team, Japan cannot participate the Olympic team competition. The JSF have to do something about it. Considering the size of Narumi Takahashi, I think some of the Japanese junior men can handle that. The JSF and the JOC can supply necessary funds, coaches and training facilities.

ILoveFigures

On the Ice
Here are my predictions:

Men: At least 2 Japanese men on the podium, if not all 3 of them.
Ladies: It will be a fight between the 3 Japanese and the 3 Americans with Phaneuf tossed in there.
Pairs: I will be mighty surprised if Pang/Tong don't win this.
Dance: Most likely D/W will win, but we still haven't seen the shape of V/M. Canada and the US will dominate the podium without doubt.