Black Swan 2010 release | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Black Swan 2010 release

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought it was a weird film. Not sure if Portman's performance deserved the Oscar. The young girl - Jennifer Lawrence - who was nominated from Winter's Bone did put in an Oscar worthy performance.
Lad, can you give us some reasoning of why you're saying this??? Can you give a side by side comparison of Portman & Lawrence's roles and why one did or didn't deserve the oscar?

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lad, can you give us some reasoning of why you're saying this??? Can you give a side by side comparison of Portman & Lawrence's roles and why one did or didn't deserve the oscar?

I guess not, hmmm.

ranjake

Final Flight
Tuesday morning (the day it came out on Blue-Ray) it was available on Comcast on demand. I rented it- and watched it 4 times over the course of 24 hours! Still just love it. Winter's Bone is a very good movie and a GREAT book, imo- and Jennifer Lawrence was great- but I still would've given Natalie the Oscar. Different strokes, I guess. To me, Natalie has more of a transformation; but they are both great performances. I think 'The Black Swan' is a weird film, which is part of why I love it, I guess- I like weird- and I love that the film is many things, not easily put in a box.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Finally saw it!!! I think I may have to watch again; there was so much going on. I did like it. It took me a while to figure out what was going on with her body and ohhhhh the hangnail incident just made me shudder.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Yesterday, I finally watched a film that I have wanted to see for years. In fact, ever since it came out nearly 13 years ago. From before the pandemic, I had been doing a search on the Sky EPG every day to see if it was being shown on one of the Free To Air channels in the coming week. A few days before Christmas, it finally came up with a result (on the Irish language channel, TG4, as it happens. But, don't worry, they do show films in English). And I got around to watching it today.

And you know what... I didn't like it. At all.

"Black Swan" was not at all what I thought it was going to be. I always thought it was basically a performance of "Swan Lake", but with a Hollywood star taking on one of the roles (in this case, it would be Natalie Portman playing the Black Swan, which would explain the title change). Kinda like the 1993 film of "The Nutcracker" (which I watched during the pandemic), where Macaulay Culkin played the title role.

I certainly was not expecting it to be a horror film centered around the preparations for a new performance of "Swan Lake".

Although I have always loved Tchaikovsky's music, I don't actually know the story of "Swan Lake". So, I thought watching a film version starring an actress that I always liked would be a good way of finding out, and putting the music into context. So much for that theory! I guess I'll just have to find a performance of the ballet on BBC4 or Sky Arts or something.

For most of the film, I hadn't a clue what was real and what Nina was imagining. And I hate films and TV programmes that are like that. Because I end up getting completely lost. And I was well and truly lost during "Black Swan".

Mind you, it probably didn't help that the whole way through I was looking at Lily and thinking "I know you. I've seen you in things before. But, I can't for the life of me remember your name!" :drama: It was really bugging me and, when I finished watching, I was straight onto the internet to find out. It was Mila Kunis.

If you like horror films and ballet / classical music, this film would be perfect for you. But, I don't like horror films. I am far too squeemish.

But, at least now I can say that I've watched it.

CaroLiza_fan

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Final Flight
Country
Canada
Yesterday, I finally watched a film that I have wanted to see for years. In fact, ever since it came out nearly 13 years ago. From before the pandemic, I had been doing a search on the Sky EPG every day to see if it was being shown on one of the Free To Air channels in the coming week. A few days before Christmas, it finally came up with a result (on the Irish language channel, TG4, as it happens. But, don't worry, they do show films in English). And I got around to watching it today.

And you know what... I didn't like it. At all.

"Black Swan" was not at all what I thought it was going to be. I always thought it was basically a performance of "Swan Lake", but with a Hollywood star taking on one of the roles (in this case, it would be Natalie Portman playing the Black Swan, which would explain the title change). Kinda like the 1993 film of "The Nutcracker" (which I watched during the pandemic), where Macaulay Culkin played the title role.

I certainly was not expecting it to be a horror film centered around the preparations for a new performance of "Swan Lake".

Although I have always loved Tchaikovsky's music, I don't actually know the story of "Swan Lake". So, I thought watching a film version starring an actress that I always liked would be a good way of finding out, and putting the music into context. So much for that theory! I guess I'll just have to find a performance of the ballet on BBC4 or Sky Arts or something.

For most of the film, I hadn't a clue what was real and what Nina was imagining. And I hate films and TV programmes that are like that. Because I end up getting completely lost. And I was well and truly lost during "Black Swan".

Mind you, it probably didn't help that the whole way through I was looking at Lily and thinking "I know you. I've seen you in things before. But, I can't for the life of me remember your name!" :drama: It was really bugging me and, when I finished watching, I was straight onto the internet to find out. It was Mila Kunis.

If you like horror films and ballet / classical music, this film would be perfect for you. But, I don't like horror films. I am far too squeemish.

But, at least now I can say that I've watched it.

CaroLiza_fan
Couldn't agree more :frown:. Having taken ballet and other dance classes for years as a kid and adult, I bought the DVD version, as I always do with films, of what I thought from reviews was a film about a dancer with psychological problems. Yuck. As you said, a messy and confusing horror movie. I didn't even bother to watch the whole thing. Tossed it into the charity bag for the next thrift shop trip.