Junior Grand Prix Final | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Junior Grand Prix Final

Thanks BG - Alexander Shubin it is. Hope we get to see him this season. After Evgeni, I don't see any World podium contenders in Russian men. So maybe Shubin will fill the bill since Abt is not doing what we all would like him to do. And where oh where is my favorite Ilia Klimkin?

Joe

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Alexander

He made the final warm-up group at Lalique this year. He skated his LP with mistakes, but really took a beating in the scores, I'm not exactly sure why.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Re: let's not get confused

berthes ghost said:
Miki Ando was 3rd at last year's JGPF. Yukina Ota was 1st and Carolina Kostner was 2nd.

Hi berthes ghost, :)

Just wanted to add to your post, as concerns the wonderful Miki Ando. Since I keep stats on those skaters whom I find intriguing, as well as being personal favorites, wanted to share with y'all Miki's phenomenal record thus far in Juniors (as far as winning titles & setting records):

MIKI ANDO (JPN, 12/18/87, 160 cm.)

1st - 2001 JGPF (Bled, Slovenia, 12/01)
1st - 2003 JGPF (Malmo, Sweden, 12/03)
***Note: has won the JGPF twice thus far - trying to find out if that is the most won by any one individual (so far, going back to 1999, it is).***

1st - 2001 Japan Jr. Nationals (11/01)
1st - 2002 Japan Jr. Nationals (11/02)
1st - 2003 Japan Jr. Nationals (11/03)
***Note: tied w/countrywoman, Shizuka Arakawa, with the most consecutive Jr. National Titles won by a Japanese woman ever.***

By the way, Miki has also won every JGP competition she has entered thus far ~ impeccable record. The only exceptions to that were at 2002 JGPF (placed 2nd) and at 2002 Jr. Worlds (3rd) & 2003 Jr. Worlds (2nd).

One more thing, Miki also became the 1st lady skater to land a quadruple jump - 4S - in international competition at the 2002 JGPF in The Hague, Netherlands (December 2002, age 14 yrs.).

***Note: Miki Ando & Midori Ito share a few things in common: both come from the land of the rising sun (aka Japan), Midori 1st woman to land a 3A in competition (Miki likewise as concerns the 4S), both born in Aichi, Japan, and both their names begin with the letter"M". Will think of more later.(;^)***

Peace & Love, Nadine

"Having a dream, I will go up into the sky" - M.F. Thomson
:love:MIKI ANDO - Fire Bird - Rise of the Phoenix!!!!:love:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
And where oh where is my favorite Ilia Klimkin?
Well, Ilia's coach did die just a few months ago. And it was the coach that really brough Ilia up as a skater from scratch. I am sure it was quite dramatic for Ilia to loose him.

He is now coached by Kudryavtsev (coach of Sokolova, former coach of Kulik, Butyrskaya, Volchkova). Kudriavtsev is an excellent coach, but my guess is that it will take them a while to adjust to one another.

Kasey

Medalist
ya know....if you have a very talented, up and coming junior competitor who is coached by the current Olympic champion, I think it is of interest to some people....it has not happened before, and there is some thoughts of how Yagudin's success will affect Griazev, whether it would "rub off" or such. Sure, maybe Lycesek is a fully worthy skater of recognition, and maybe now after winning here he will get more. But apparantly the writer felt that the other story was more interesting to a greater number of people. Whether she should be ridiculed or crucified for that is for each to choose.

Kasey