Flesh colored material on costumes. Yay or nay? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Flesh colored material on costumes. Yay or nay?

Snoopy

Rinkside
I think it looks OK when the nude part matches the skaters' skin tone properly. Probably help them feel more secure too - no wardrobe malfunctions!

I don't really see why skaters want to create the illusion of nudity in the first place. Is it so that they can portray naughty ladies doing triple Lutzes and straight line footwork sequences?

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I don't really see why skaters want to create the illusion of nudity in the first place. Is it so that they can portray naughty ladies doing triple Lutzes and straight line footwork sequences?

For some, maybe, but for others ... well, it's not like one can skate securely with strapless dresses (actually, that goes for walking too, always have to make sure your dress isn't falling down!).

Examples of using illusion fabric in a "classy" way:
1. Alissa Czisny - http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_DE66jWjE8X4/TCTc3bazwdI/AAAAAAAAAyQ/yoXlBaf0q1Y/s1600/alissa.jpg
2. Yuna Kim - http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4137/4868556269_1e4aeed76b.jpg
3. Michelle Kwan - http://www.apakistannews.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Michelle-kwan.jpg
4. Caroline Zhang - http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1385/4727023010_a8d2788fa2.jpg

Last edited:
^ To me, these dresses look like the top is falling down anyway. Wouldn't they look prettier if the illusion fabric at the top was replaced by regular fabric the color of the dress?

I don't see how it aids Yu-na Kim's program if, from a distance, it looks like her back is out (but it isn't.)

aftertherain

Record Breaker
^I don't think so, because then they'd start looking more like gymnastics outfits or swimsuits with skirts.

And I don't know what you mean about Yuna's costume ... :think:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
^ I do, but if everyone dressed like that, it'd be a little boring, no? (And I think she's the only person to have made light-green work in a figure skating costume...)

And I quite like the rhinestones/silver sequins cascading down Yuna's costume. They're very sparkly. :biggrin:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Skating costumes change with time, and fashion. New fabrics have facilitated and enhanced the very athletic and complex movements of comtemporary skating, much like they have in other sports.

Figure skating is an esthetic sport and female skaters are girls and young women who like to look and feel pretty, as well as au courant.

As well, these days most skating programs and music are thematic, unlike just a few decades ago. Costumes have become part of the character portrayal. Together with the advance in fabric technology, skating costumes have evolved from large heavy dresses of the early days to sporty short dresses to today's high fashion specially designed to be elegant, sexy, or whatever required for characterization, preferably in a way flattering to the skater and pleasing to the judges.

Of course male costumes too have developed similarly.

Landing

Rinkside
As well, these days most skating programs and music are thematic, unlike just a few decades ago. Costumes have become part of the character portrayal. Together with the advance in fabric technology, skating costumes have evolved from large heavy dresses of the early days to sporty short dresses to today's high fashion specially designed to be elegant, sexy, or whatever required for characterization, preferably in a way flattering to the skater and pleasing to the judges.

Exactly: the costume does make a difference in the interpretation score. It might be a 5% difference but it still matters. A flamenco routine in a white swan dress will surely be disapproved. I can’t blame the skaters who are trying to get their plusses here. However, the fake skin costumes make a bit bizarre/theatrical impression even if it is the most appropriate outfit for the Afternoon of the Faun.

Me, I always fancy a skating dress which still looks like a dress – and the normal skating boots! (Tights over the boots are probably the worst invention ever.) :)

seniorita

Record Breaker
I meant, it looks like we are seeing her bare back.

I see what you mean about gymnastics outfits. But do you like this? (I do.)

http://www.fullissue.com/wp-content/uploads/Peggy-Fleming.jpg

I love the lemon dress of Flemming, the color and design look contemporary to the Nasa missions of that era. :)
Yuna´s dress was amazing , what are you talking about:unsure: It has a great design in the back, like an evening dress, it looks like her back is bear but it isnt, very succesful tone fabric, but I suspect for the skater it is more secure to have a fleshtone fabric in case all this Swarovski fall apart at one of her 3-3s:biggrin:
I used to mind sleeveless dresses long ago(yes Kwan´s also sometimes) but now I m fine.
Speaking of deep cuts that the fabric serves the design> best dress ever pour moi. I dont know how it would work if the whole area was blue up to the neck!

Ah, Peggy Fleming's famous chartreuse dress. She was so elegant as a skater, with an aristocratic quality to her movement. Her mother made that dress; in those days skating costumes were a considerably less elaborate affair, and barely a blip on a skater's expense list.

Going in the opposite direction of flesh-colored expanses suggesting--well, flesh--here's an example of completely covered up: Lucinda Ruh in a cat suit. At a height of something like five foot nine, Lucinda is one lady who can carry it off. And then there are the spins and the spreadeagle, and an Ina Bauer to rival Shizuka....wow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG8tfmkvGDc

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
^ Plus, Sasha is one of the few skaters that can do that tights-over-boots thing. :clap:

I think the issue is with the skating boots. Hers are fitted without jutting out at the ankles.

As with most things, how illusion fabric looks on a skater depends on its use and abuse. Over-use and mismatched skin tones are two big boo boos.

Landing

Rinkside
^ Plus, Sasha is one of the few skaters that can do that tights-over-boots thing. :clap:

Nope.

I’d suggest white boots and white tights, well suited to her image. Why the very idea of bare legs on the ice is supposed to be esthetical?

Johar

Medalist
Tights look like they would feel oppressive to skate in as opposed to bare legs, but I am overweight and going off of how tights feel on me.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Tights look like they would feel oppressive to skate in as opposed to bare legs, but I am overweight and going off of how tights feel on me.

But the tights add warmth and speaking from experience, it's much nicer to fall in tights as opposed to bare legs. Skating tights tend to be looser than ballet tights, definatly more comforatable.

mskater93

Record Breaker

Go skate in shorts/skirts and bare legs (and fall a couple times) or sit through an event in shorts/skirt in an arena without the heat on and come back and tell us how oppressive they would feel. ;)

Tights are also helpful for keeping "things" in under your dress.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Sorry to bring this up again, but are pants banned for ladies' costumes? I kinda miss them.

No, but not many use them, maybe because they are tough to pull of. This season I can only think of Fumie Suguri's LP (shudder). Last season Polina Shelepen (LP) and Ekaterina Bobrova (OD) used them.

prettykeys

Medalist
Thanks, sequins! I'll check them out. I think pants are trickier on the fit/design but when done right, they might be fab. Looking for solid examples, though, because I don't remember any outstanding female pants outfits right off the top of my head (maybe Michelle's black body suit.)