The best triple axels, 3A jumpers, and some other random stats. | Page 4 | Golden Skate

The best triple axels, 3A jumpers, and some other random stats.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Kulik wasn't coached by Mishin. Viktor Kudriavtsev coached him before Tarasova did during his last two eligible seasons.

Right.

Mishin coached Umanov, Yagudin and Plushenko.

Right.

Of course Umanov left Mishin after the 98 season for Tarasova as well.

You mean Yagudin. Urmanov never left.

Easy to get all this mixed up with all the coach swapping going on.

True.
Also with all the Alexeis.

Kulik wasn't coached by Mishin. Viktor Kudriavtsev coached him before Tarasova did during his last two eligible seasons. Mishin coached Umanov, Yagudin and Plushenko. Of course Umanov left Mishin after the 98 season for Tarasova as well. Easy to get all this mixed up with all the coach swapping going on. I had to verify that I was correct before posting. :)

Kudriavtsev did teach excellent jump technique however. Another example was Viktoria Volchkova's sky high triple lutz.

Thanks so much for the correction! The minute I said Mishin, I felt it was wrong. Kudriavtsev certainly did right by his students. Between Ilia and Volchkova, his reputation is secure. Viktoria made some of her contemporaries look as though they were just doing twizzles on the ice by comparison. Or, as my late skating buddy used to say, as if you couldn't slide a piece of paper under their jumps.

jcoates

Medalist
Right.

Right.

You mean Yagudin. Urmanov never left.

True.
Also with all the Alexeis.

You are of course correct. I was rushing when I typed and screwed that bit up. Thanks for catching it.

Thanks so much for the correction! The minute I said Mishin, I felt it was wrong. Kudriavtsev certainly did right by his students. Between Ilia and Volchkova, his reputation is secure. Viktoria made some of her contemporaries look as though they were just doing twizzles on the ice by comparison. Or, as my late skating buddy used to say, as if you couldn't slide a piece of paper under their jumps.

You're welcome. I agree about height in jumps. I really miss it. There used to be a bit more a thrill to the risk of jumping and watching skaters do it. It did not matter if it was a quad, triple, double or big open single. The height made all the difference. Browning, Boitano, Orser, Petrenko, Urmanov, Yagudin, Robin Cousins, Sabovcic, Fadeev and Chris Bowman all jumped higher than many of the top men today.

On the ladies side, there's just no comparison with Ito, Harding, Beilman. Virtually no height among far too many of them and there always seems to be a phantom triple or two. I know UR and edge calls are to blame for some of this, but I get the feeling that for many skaters, it's a matter of confidence or just playing it safe. It would be nice to see some sort of points bonus for a full compliment of triples awarded to encourage greater mastery.

Last edited: