What Do You Want to See at Worlds... Dance | Page 5 | Golden Skate

What Do You Want to See at Worlds... Dance

beabstress

On the Ice
Domnina & Shabalin were only put 1st in the CDs in Vancouver since based on Europeans the judges knew that was the only portion of the event they were even something above competent in at that point, and the only way to sneak them on the podium and prevent the dreaded all North American sweep was to put D&S 1st in the compulsories.

Actually, I thought it was a very fair decision to have D/S in first after the CD. And I'm no D/S fan. I think they should have been far below third in the OD and FD, however, but as you say, that would have paved the way for a North American sweep, which the ice dance world was not ready for.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
The NA sweep wont happen in 2014 either with the Olympics being in Sochi. I would bet money on 1, maybe 2 medals going to the Russians (not saying they wont deserve it, but even if they maybe dont they will still be there) with the other 1 or 2 going to NA couples.
I think it will happen someday at the Olympics but maybe not for awhile.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:) Pogue..That CD was a lovely treat to have with my coffee..

As far as I can tell , your lip-reading is perfect.

I read the meaning as dismay over the Dom/Shabs still being on top, and for M&C that would mean further to climb..But to believe Meryl's expression would reflect her opinion of V/M , you would have to believe all the congratulatory hugs and back slapping that took place later were all put on , which seems ludicrous to me.

npa..I don't know if anyone did take Scott's comment badly , I just know there are some who would try to make something out of it , if they heard it . It isn't in me to try to seek them out and quote them...:biggrin:

Last edited:

herios

Medalist
Initially I said my wish list to be "exactly" like IP's, as it looked like I was writing it:)
Now, with Faiella / Scali sadly out, a revision is required, I want their place in top 10 to be taken by Chock / Zuerlain, just because I think having all 6 teams from NA in the top 10 would reflect the current state in ice dance worldwide.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
The NA sweep wont happen in 2014 either with the Olympics being in Sochi. I would bet money on 1, maybe 2 medals going to the Russians (not saying they wont deserve it, but even if they maybe dont they will still be there) with the other 1 or 2 going to NA couples.
I think it will happen someday at the Olympics but maybe not for awhile.

I think Vancouver might've been the best chance for a medal sweep to happen, actually. Now Russia's in a rebuilding phase, and their swath of junior teams (and current crop of seniors) @ projected growth makes that seem unlikely.

Initially I said my wish list to be "exactly" like IP's, as it looked like I was writing it:)
Now, with Faiella / Scali sadly out, a revision is required, I want their place in top 10 to be taken by Chock / Zuerlain, just because I think having all 6 teams from NA in the top 10 would reflect the current state in ice dance worldwide.

I'd have to think about that a bit, but I'd probably agree.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I forgot they had to do qualifying.

Keeping them down in eighth for now. Top five is within reach, but the stars must align.

herios

Medalist
For W/P to make it into the top 5, I think the alignment of the stars will need to include the top 5 or 6 couples all dropping out of the competition en masse.

That is almost like trashing, because you just put them candidates for 11th, and they are better than that. Their realistic target is 7-9th, regardless what the top 5 might do.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Assuming Virtue & Moir compete teams that Weaver & Poje have no chance of beating would be: Davis & White, Virtue & Moir, Pechalat & Bourzat, Bobrova & Soloviev. Teams they probably have small hope of beating at this point too would be: Kerr & Kerr, Faella & Scali, Crone & Poirier, Shibutani & Shibutani. I would say 9th or 10th is their most likely result. Of course you have to shoot higher.

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
Assuming Virtue & Moir compete teams that Weaver & Poje have no chance of beating would be: Davis & White, Virtue & Moir, Pechalat & Bourzat, Bobrova & Soloviev. Teams they probably have small hope of beating at this point too would be: Kerr & Kerr, Faella & Scali, Crone & Poirier, Shibutani & Shibutani. I would say 9th or 10th is their most likely result. Of course you have to shoot higher.

I think this is a very fair assessment. On a good day, when they have a fabulous SD and a really, really clean FD, they could beat any or all of these teams to finish in 5th. Without 0 for their spin element, when there was a tripping on a skirt problem, they would have been 2nd at 4CC. They have more than a small hope. Their SD could easily put them in the final flight of the FD, and with a clean FD, a 5th place finish would not be shocking.

herios

Medalist
I think this is a very fair assessment. On a good day, when they have a fabulous SD and a really, really clean FD, they could beat any or all of these teams to finish in 5th. Without 0 for their spin element, when there was a tripping on a skirt problem, they would have been 2nd at 4CC. They have more than a small hope. Their SD could easily put them in the final flight of the FD, and with a clean FD, a 5th place finish would not be shocking.

Pangtongfan forgot that Faiella and Scali won`t compete, therefore many of the second tier teams who could beat Cap-Lan would move up one spot.

beabstress

On the Ice
That is almost like trashing, because you just put them candidates for 11th, and they are better than that. Their realistic target is 7-9th, regardless what the top 5 might do.

I wasn't saying that to trash them. I sincerely don't think W/P will do better than 10th unless a few wacky and unforeseen things happen to the couples up at the top. Having the *skill* to be better than 11th is one thing--but having the *mental composure* to be the same is quite another. Things seem to be either plateauing or going downhill for this team. I just don't see a miraculous jump to a high place happening.

herios

Medalist
I wasn't saying that to trash them. I sincerely don't think W/P will do better than 10th unless a few wacky and unforeseen things happen to the couples up at the top. Having the *skill* to be better than 11th is one thing--but having the *mental composure* to be the same is quite another. Things seem to be either plateauing or going downhill for this team. I just don't see a miraculous jump to a high place happening.

All right,we shall talk afterwards

colleen o'neill

Medalist
It must have to to with points..they hadn't been to world's for the previous 2 yrs. ( nor had they been sent to any "B" events, so their GP points alone wouldn't be enough . This is an assumption , I don't know the actual point breakdown.:)

:biggrin: If it's not wishful thinking, I do think it's at least a bit premature to say they've plateaued or are going down , considering the reception their SD has had all season ,and the overall improvement they've made , which has been pointed out by commentators all year . And although I have said myself, that they need to keep working on their mental game , there is improvement there as well , compared to previous years.

They've had a series of unfortunate glitches during their FD all season , and for the most part have managed to pull it together and not fall apart.

Maybe they'll break out of it at world's.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It will be because there were only 2 Canadian teams at last year's worlds. They finished high enough to earnspots for 3 couples for the following year, but the lowest ISU-ranked team will have to go through qualification. If the three couples are V&M, C&P and W&P, the lowest ranked team is W&P. However, if V&M opt out of Worlds, the lowest ranked team would be Paul and Islam, and they would be the team that would have to qualify.

C&P are rated 4th with 3162, V&M are rated 5th with 3000 pts., W&P are tied for 6th with Bobrova/Solviev with 2897.

It's a weird and sobering thought that if W&P had done a place better in the GPF and finished second at 4CC's, that V&M would be the team having to go through qualification. There is something very distressingly wrong about this system that hooks the qualification to the federation and the standings rather than the team.

W&P have a qualifying score to compete at Worlds-after all, they competed at the GPF and 4CC's this year, not to mention 2 Grand Prix's. If there had been 3 teams last year, and the third team had finished high enough (I know it's 18th in men's) W&P wouldn't have to qualify. But they do.

Ravensque

On the Ice
All things aside. Perhaps because of the fact the W&P have to qualify, it may help them get their nerves under control and give them some momentum........think? I hope so.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
D'oh !...Thanks, doris...and the real story makes me :rolleye: and :unsure: . That's pretty bizarre..

ETA: Ravenesque...I like your scenario. I'll be hoping along with you.

Last edited:

cotillion

Rinkside
Thanks for the info, and I hope like heck that having to skate in the prelim will help them rather then scare them off! They can be rather skittish! IMO they DO have the best short dance this year of any team, totally sublime!! Go Canada.