What Do You Want to See at Worlds... Dance | Page 9 | Golden Skate

What Do You Want to See at Worlds... Dance

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
D/W, V/M, P/B, B/S, I/K, K/K should all be added to the list of looking "off" since they also all have about the same height difference .

It's not really the height difference, it's that Paul is quite skinny and is probably only about 10 lbs heavier than her.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
blue_idealist.. you may be right, there.That could explain why I thought at first that there was a greater height difference between them than there actually is. The answer could also partly lie in the fact that they are different body types.( e.g. Paul's legs seem longer , proportionately to his height / torso length than Vanessa's do to hers. ) Their bodies don't move similarly, so they can actually be doing the same thing at the same time,but don't appear to be in perfect unison. (I'm sort of thinking out loud here.. :think:)
Anyway, I do see some improvement , but Paul still seems too detached from his partner, for me.

My sister and I were discussing the esthetics of partnering the other day ...and how we hate it when having a "connection" is automatically, or exclusively equated with romantic or passionate expression . She reminded me of a quote about one of the greatest partnerships in ballet , Fonteyn and Nureyev, to the effect that there existed between the two " a sort of super human courtesy " Although it takes two to make a couple ,I believe this "courtesy" must primarily appear to emanate from the man . Look to Scott Moir as an outstanding example of this in ice dance. Everything from the inclination of his head ,to the postion of his body, to what he is projecting emotionally, either in sync , or in solo highlights, complements what his partner is doing. Not everyone will be able to do this as well as Scott , no matter how hard they work ( he has an innate ability in this area that you can see in their earliest videos ) but I'm sure Paul can be a lot better at it than he is , currently.

Completely OT...pj had an article up on cbcsports today about P/I being in holding pattern as alternates , in which she mentioned that David Islam believes it's good to go to outside choreograhers "like Z/S"...:confused: Since P/I have not been to them before, I wondered why Z/S should be mentioned. Why not Haguenaur or D/L ,who they have been to ?.. Or is it just a mistake...PJ gets mixed reviews from me as a writer /commentator so I don't know..it could just be her using a misleading example...It could be her dropping a hint before it's time ( or she could be messing with us ;) ) I didn't know where to put this, or if it deserved it's own thread, since it seems premature to be going off on a tangent about P/I's next year's programs now..just FYI.

ETA; There are other interesting tid-bits as well ; http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/pjkwong/2011/04/focus-main-priority-for-canadian-alternates.html

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I think its kind of a mixed up quotation sort of situation.

What the discussion is about is that choreography for next year won't start till after Worlds-and that's over a month later than most years. The busiest choreographers, the ones who do choreography for the largest number of teams (not counting their pairs & singles work), have to be Z&S. They will have the biggest logjam.

It will definitely be a problem, but not for V&M or D&W, for sure.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
;) It doesn't seem too likely does it ? It's not as if Z/S will have a lot of time on their hands..:laugh: or any lack of students of their own to choreograph for. I think it's probably just some awkward writing ( but it did make me and my coffee sit up and take notice this AM )... and I did love hearing about them running out of room on their diagonal step sequence . :biggrin:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I would like to see (for next year) Vanessa and Paul working with Camerlengo, as well as Dean. I think he could do wonders for them, as well. I know Vanessa and Paul's coaches often post or come to Goldenskate, so I hope they read this suggestion. I think C/P are a great team, and it would be nice to see them grow into even more versatile performers.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I am excited to see the new free dance of Carron and Jones in Worlds because I saw the new program in Lyon Gala Stars du patinage et de la gymnastique and loved <3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gA1HQ2OA80&feature=related

Hi Mattieu, it's good to see you posting again. :) Loved Carron and Jones new program. Also I was so happy to see Delobel and Shoenfelder. :love: Oh, how I missed them.

I am looking forward to seeing your posts at the worlds to hear inside stories of the French ice dance scene.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Today is Alex Shibutani's and Elena Ilinykh's birthdays :) I wish them both a very good debut at worlds!

alithia

Final Flight
I think I prefer Carron and Jones new program to "Paint in black".It makes them look better.
I really want to see Capellini/Lanotte,I'm very curious about their programs and shape.

I've been following the russian press the last couple of days and boy they sound pessimistic.Maybe the fact that they're promoting their second team more than the first adds to their pessimism?Especially after reading Averbukh's interview he really can't wait to make I/K Olympic champions and then put them in his lucrative ice show.Especially his comments about D/W and V/M being technical and not artistic as I/K had me rolling on the floor.
What is funny, the more I read the more I am convinced that the will finish behind the Shibutanis after all.
And also it seems like they totally forget about the existence of C/P and W/P.Why not let the skaters talk on the ice for once?

alexeifan

On the Ice
I like V/M best, hope they win. With this being in Russia, I'm getting somewhat nostalgic... missing the days of 1998 Russians going for gold :(

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Isn't the top 10 for Ice Dance at this Worlds essentially very easy to predict and also very concentrated country-wise? Not the exact placements but the top 10 itself? It feels like it will be:

*3 Canadian teams
*3 Russian teams
*3 American teams
*The top French team

I don't follow Ice Dancing as closely as Singles but it seems like the scores Dance teams receive don't fluctuate as much. Which means that going by scores this season, those 10 teams are probably set.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Well, there are only two dance teams from Russia.

The reason it seems set is this season saw two retirements (F/S and Kerrs, both top five teams last year), another top ten contender WD (Hoffman/Zavosin), but yeah, scoring fluctuates less.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Oh the Russians only have 2 Dance entries? Well that's less fun. But then it's pretty much set in stone that the Canadian and American teams will all place top 10, right?

herios

Medalist
Oh the Russians only have 2 Dance entries? Well that's less fun. But then it's pretty much set in stone that the Canadian and American teams will all place top 10, right?

Well yes, but remember, the extensive discussion if Weaver /Poje will make or not the top 10, the arguing back and forth, until the above mentioned retirement (of the top european teams) as well as the WD of the hungarians happened.
This will be an unprecendented event, where the NA teams could outnumber the European squad in the top 10, first time ever, therefore a milestone.

Well, it also may not happen, if one of the top teams from US or canada makes major boo-boos.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
.. Barring something massive fluke-y

Right now, outside the N. American teams, we have

Pechelat/Bourzat (France)
Bobrova/Soloviev (Russia)
Ilynikh/Katsalpov (Russia)
Cappellini/Lanotte (Italy)

Making out the top ten. Now, I think there are two teams that could sneak into the top ten with a blindingly awesome performance and mistakes from the other teams: Carron/Jones and Zhignanshin/Gazsi. Z/G are capable of level four waltz sequences (only team at Euros to do so) and are darkhorse top ten candidates. Their SB is only two points less than C/Z.

herios

Medalist
.. Barring something massive fluke-y

Right now, outside the N. American teams, we have

Pechelat/Bourzat (France)
Bobrova/Soloviev (Russia)
Ilynikh/Katsalpov (Russia)
Cappellini/Lanotte (Italy)

Making out the top ten. Now, I think there are two teams that could sneak into the top ten with a blindingly awesome performance and mistakes from the other teams: Carron/Jones and Zhignanshin/Gazsi. Z/G are capable of level four waltz sequences (only team at Euros to do so) and are darkhorse top ten candidates. Their SB is only two points less than C/Z.

While I agree with everything you said, but Cappellinni / Lanotte hasn't been skating almost at all all season after a bad debut. So i would not say that they are sure bets for a top 10, because they have not proved anything all season, while they ended the last one on a major down note.
Or have you seen some great new material they have prepared for this event i missed somehow?