Ice Dance: SD Thread | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance: SD Thread

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice

WTH Enidan.

KKonas was just filling out the countries of origin of the jugdes list that herios originally posted, and Mr. You-Hwa LEE's nationality (the 9th and last judge on that list) just fell outside of the box due to a typo. Nobody's insinuating that judge #7 was from Korea, and moreover, responding to that by taking a jab at Japan is lowly / completely unnecessary.

ILoveFigures

On the Ice
Depends. If it's an error and those fives should be eights (using the keypad), then another judge might have been lower than that set and those would've been thrown out. Regardless, a more honest set of marks would be higher.

Okay, very curious now.

The judges put their scores in on a touch screen infront of them, so I don't really know if this is a typo (though it is a possibility). The 5 and 8 are far apart.

I wish everyone could appreciate both D/W & V/M. They are two amazing teams, and have something I would consider quite a rare talent.

Lissy

Medalist
Is Tessa back to being a redhead? It looks like it in the beginning of the video but I can't quite tell. I sure hope so. The red suits her so much better than being a brunette.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
I'm really shocked at how good V/M look. I'm not thrilled with the program, but they looked really polished, albiet a little reserved. I think we can officially consider them favourites for gold in Tokyo now. I think it'll turn out to be a real battle. BTW, i'm dying of happiness for W/P :)

KKonas

Medalist
WTH Enidan.

KKonas was just filling out the countries of origin of the jugdes list that herios originally posted, and Mr. You-Hwa LEE's nationality (the 9th and last judge on that list) just fell outside of the box due to a typo. Nobody's insinuating that judge #7 was from Korea, and moreover, responding to that by taking a jab at Japan is lowly / completely unnecessary.

Sorry for the confusion. I was indeed fillling out the country the judge is actually from - not making a charge of impropriety. Judge Lee is indeed from Korea according to the official List of Judges from the ISU.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
But who says this was an error? Obviously the marks are ridiculous and I'm sure the judge will have to explain why he/she did this. But how do we know that this isn't just a case of someone really really hating V/M for whatever reason?

ETA: Yes, I'm sure the judge will have to explain the marks. And will perhaps not come back to international competitions if he/she insists on them. Explaining it as an error is easier, I agree, but IMO it's not the only explanation. It wouldn't be the first time that judges marked in spiteful and absurd ways, though perhaps not as blatantly as that. :unsure:

Hmm, How dare that judge marked V/M out of the corridor?:laugh: He might not be invited to judge next year.;)

I want V/M to win. But D/W win is equally good as long as V/M is no lower than a silver.

LEE is a Korean last name.

Last edited:

aftertherain

Record Breaker

1. "Lee" is either Korean, Chinese, or American (European?) last name (though, judging by the first name, it can be assumed that thejudge is of Korean nationality).

2. But if you were thinking that KKonas was calling out the Korean judge and thought it should be your duty to insinuate all kinds of things by calling KKonas a Japanese person, well, I don't know where to start.

3. On another note, any one have a vid link to D/W? Not a particularly fan of ice-dancing, but I saw V/M's and thought their routine was quite nice. Since D/W and V/M are quite close in score, I figured theirs would be good as well.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
1. "Lee" is either Korean, Chinese, or American (European?) last name (though, judging by the first name, it can be assumed that thejudge is of Korean nationality).

Yes, some Caucasians have last name Lee. But Chinese doesn't have this last name. With the same pronunciation, the Chinese way of spelling is Li. I have a friend who has a last name Li. He didn't like the way the western people pronounce it. So he changed his last name from Li to Lee after a few years living in North America.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Tessa and Scott look to be in fantastic shape, that SD was effortless for them. Personally the program isn't particularly memorable, i don't see much of a theme or a story, but they skate to the music with such grace and fluidity you almost don't need anything more. There really aren't any truly memorable short dances this year, W/P is very good, and Marlie and the Shibs did good but yeah, the standard isn't that high imho.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:biggrin: Not everything has to have a story.. But it does have a theme. It's supposed to evoke the Gatsby era..and I think it does it well. Though I don't want to get into some big story or involved symbolism of my own invention , it does make me feel it could be taking place at some country house or mansion in an era well before TV ,when young people entertained themselves by putting on records and dancing. Everyone knew how to waltz ,and Tango was having one of it's world fads. To me, it's just a glimpse of what might have been going on at any given time anywhere in Europe or NA in the teens or 20's. (Also suggested by the lowered waist of Tessa's dress and the cut and fit of Scott's vest, tie and shirt.)

It just strikes a chord of recognition of many photographs of the era and of scenes depicted in countless books and movies..it might be any one of them or none of them , but I get the feeling.

ETA..Yeah there's just a handful of SDs that stand out ( in a good way ) to me, for different reasons V/M, D/W , Shibs, W/P, R/T..maybe B/S, though I think I liked the old one better than the new, and P/I's worked for me , though I know it didn't for everyone.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Agreed, colleen. The great thing about that SD is the way it feels both timeless (evoking feelings of youthful beauty) and classic (it feels rooted in an era gone by). Those little nuances that they do so well are sprinkled throughout (love the hop before the lift, the arm placed behind the back in the opening of their first step sequence).

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Yes, some Caucasians have last name Lee. But Chinese doesn't have this last name. With the same pronunciation, the Chinese way of spelling is Li. I have a friend who has a last name Li. He didn't like the way the western people pronounce it. So he changed his last name from Li to Lee after a few years living in North America.

How strange. Everyone I know pronounces "Li" as "Lee". And yes, the Chinese way of spelling it is "Li", but I suppose I was referring to the Western way (which opens up a variety of ways to spell Chinese last names ...).

emma

Record Breaker
ImaginaryPogue and Colleen O'neil's discussion of V/M SD is so great - it really resonated with how I felt watching it but could not articulate - so thanks! I am so impressed at how they command the ice even after a "time out". I can't wait, though, to see the "next three in line" too. It is just so amazing how good these skaters all are. wow.

cotillion

Rinkside
One of my best friends growing up in Saskatchewan (only for a short time, Gasp!) was Gilda Lee and she was Norwegian and the man that ran the corner store was Lam Lee (we called him Lee Lam)and I think his family was from China! So many peoples have the name Lee it seems. Back to short dance , V&M have a lovely SD, but for me W&P have the best SD on the planet, truly breathtaking, and this is usually what I think of V&M, by Worlds it should be perfect.