Ice Dance - Free Dance | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance - Free Dance

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It's impossible to say. If Tessa & Scott were strapped for cash, it would be crazy. But as far as I can tell they're not, and Igor had so many teams at 4CC's that the tariff for shipping, housing & feeding a coach would not be prohibitive.

However, IMO it would have been easier and cheaper to do a Senior B with Marina and Andreev & Khokhlova in Europe if all they wanted was international feedback on the SD. Likewise, the judging while perhaps a bit inflated would have been a better take on what European judges would give the program.

I think she had managed to skate through pain before and thought she could do it again. And couldn't, or found she didn't want to take the risk for 4CC's.

wallylutz

Medalist
However, IMO it would have been easier and cheaper to do a Senior B with Marina and Andreev & Khokhlova in Europe if all they wanted was international feedback on the SD. Likewise, the judging while perhaps a bit inflated would have been a better take on what European judges would give the program.

Except a Senior B competition will most likely consist of International Judges who don't have ISU Championships credential and therefore, will not be the ones at the World Championship. Their feedback will not be as practical as the ones from 4CC even though only one of the 9 judges was actually European (Russian).

I think she had managed to skate through pain before and thought she could do it again. And couldn't, or found she didn't want to take the risk for 4CC's.

I think that's the most likely explanation although I also get the impression that the injury is more serious than what they are telling us. It is never a good idea to tell the whole world you are injured because they might just end up perceiving everything you do as an injured athlete = subpar. It wouldn't surprise me they are downplaying her injury, whatever it is.

callalily

On the Ice
Speaking cynically here, if they only wanted SD feedback they'd have withdrawn after the SD, citing the flu or some other circumstance. Bailing during the FD makes no sense as a strategy. It just reinforces the notion of an injury, which they would want to downplay, if anything.

I am not a cynic. They have soldiered on through difficult circumstances in the past, not acknowledging any problems. Now that the Olympics are over, though, Tessa may be more willing to acknowledge pain or stop because of it. I believe that Tessa experienced pain during the FD and felt unable to continue, or felt it unwise (in the sense of risking worse injury). I hope that this is truly a minor injury (not something worse).

sar

Rinkside
ok.. so i've held off saying this... I love Tessa and Scott...and hope she is physically well... but has anyone actually thought that this was the plan all along... like maybe just go out and do the short...or maybe because of the errors early in the FD ... she thought I'd better bail now.... please don't yell... just asking everyones opinion.... :confused2:

That thought has crossed my mind. With the errors, they may have felt they were kind of out of 1st anyway.

Watching 4CC on TV, I was a bit taken aback to see D/W skating to a slow Puccini Waltz and then a grand Verdi Waltz. It seems they were saying, we can do what V/M do. It doesn't work for me. I prefer their dramatics and they should have brought a bit of sadness to the Puccini. The Verdi was fine but didn't overwhelm me.

Loved the Shibs and their Carousel Waltz.