Ice Dance - Free Dance | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance - Free Dance

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I haven't been able to get the feed to work, so I didn't see. What exactly was Kaitlyn's reaction? Was she sad or angry or something else?

Little of both, but it was self directed - ie, she was annoyed and disappointed that they didn't skate well.

jcoates

Medalist
I haven't been able to get the feed to work, so I didn't see. What exactly was Kaitlyn's reaction? Was she sad or angry or something else?

The look on her face said "Oh not again!" Not really anger or sadness, but frustration.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker

When the score came up and it was a seasons best, she seemed pleasantly surprised--guess she thought that with their mistakes it would be lower. Then with the placement came up there was a little rueful grimace and one of those "dad gum it so near yet so far" kinds of reactions. Especially since they could see the margin 3rd vs 4th was so slim. I suspect also it was losing to C/P specifically.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
This is so sad. While I am happy for D/W & the Shibs, I would have much rather that American teams beat Canadians fair and square by having everyone skated the best of their abilities.

jcoates

Medalist
Comparing the scores between this event and Euros (I know this is not an exact science), the Shibs seem set up to have a head to head battle with I/K and K/K for the 4-6 range if V/M do not compete, 5-7 if they do and skate up to their standing. They have definitely been passing I/K score-wise since mid season and with K/K being prone to occassional sloppiness, they could sneak ahead of them too. Will be a very interesting event.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is so sad. While I am happy for D/W & the Shibs, I would have much rather that American teams beat Canadians fair and square by having everyone skated the best of their abilities.

I can see your point, but there's also the point that in sport, you have to be prepared to deal with anything, and that can be quite difficult when you have a personal tragedy and choose to still compete or a sport-related distraction with your equipment or the skater(s) right before you had problems. It all goes with the territory of being a sports athlete. It certainly isn't an easy task for any of them.

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Comparing the scores between this event and Euros (I know this is not an exact science), the Shibs seem set up to have a head to head battle with I/K and K/K for the 4-6 range if V/M do not compete, 5-7 if they do and skate up to their standing. They have definitely been passing I/K score-wise since mid season and with K/K being prone to occassional sloppiness, they could sneak ahead of them too. Will be a very interesting event.

So I guess we are assuming B/S are now going to be ahead of I/K, K/K, S/S, and C/P? Do keep in mind B/S were even behind C/P at the GP final. Then again I expect the Russian fed. will start pushing for them hard as we near Worlds and if V/M dont compete they will push hard for them to win the bronze behind D/W and P/B.

Sackie

Medalist
But W/P would have gotten second without the missed element. It received no score and would have given them at least another 5 points (not to say how it would have helped their PCS mark). Which would have put them in second! It must be hard for them to know this. But it does give them something to build on and know that when and if they skate clean they can be up there at worlds!

jcoates

Medalist
So I guess we are assuming B/S are now going to be ahead of I/K, K/K, S/S, and C/P? Do keep in mind B/S were even behind C/P at the GP final. Then again I expect the Russian fed. will start pushing for them hard as we near Worlds and if V/M dont compete they will push hard for them to win the bronze behind D/W and P/B.

These hypothetical placements are based on everyone skating cleanly. B/S made numerous errors at the GPF. I think the closeness to Russian Nats put them off a bit.

Of course errors can happen with anyone, so you never know. None of us saw V/M withdrawing based on how they skated their SD.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I can see your point, but there's also the point that in sport, you have to be prepared to deal with anything, and that can be quite difficult when you have a personal tragedy or a sport-related distraction with your equipment or the skater(s) right before you had problems. It all goes with the territory of being a sports athlete. It certainly isn't an easy task for any of them.

I agree that it's not easy when unforeseenable tragedy like V/M occur. It could definitely affect the following team. At the same time, I remember how well Jeremy Abbott handled long delay for his SD at this year's nationals. He stayed focused throughout the bizzar "necklace" hunt incident. Many commented that Jeremy a couple of years ago could have definitely rattled and let it affect his performance. So I guess it goes both ways.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Yeah, but they still would've been behind on the FD to the Shibs. Much like C/P, they have a dance that hasn't gone over well

That third Canadian spot seems to be drifting off in the distance.

wallylutz

Medalist
I agree that it's not easy when unforeseenable tragedy like V/M occur. It could definitely affect the following team. At the same time, I remember how well Jeremy Abbott handled long delay for his SD at this year's nationals. He stayed focused throughout the bizzar "necklace" hunt incident. Many commented that Jeremy a couple of years ago could have definitely rattled and let it affect his performance. So I guess it goes both ways.

Age does come with its benefits. ;)

wallylutz

Medalist
Yeah, but they still would've been behind on the FD to the Shibs. Much like C/P, they have a dance that hasn't gone over well

That third Canadian spot seems to be drifting off in the distance.

What makes you say that when they would have won Silver if skated clean and not rattled by the bizarre incident before them? :confused:

beabstress

On the Ice
I agree that it's not easy when unforeseenable tragedy like V/M occur. It could definitely affect the following team.

And that's where the "sport" aspect comes in. At that point, it's not about what your program IS, it's just about doing it. I'm not at all surprised that W/P made mistakes. They're not the most reliable, or the toughest, team out there.