flip is trippin | Golden Skate

flip is trippin

Mel on Ice

Spectator
I'm having the hardest time with the flip. My setup and pick in is good, and my flow out is good. My issue is a more than slight two-foot takeoff. At the last minute, that free leg just crumples.

My coach is getting frustrated and I'm beyond annoyed with the jump - think too hard and it falls apart. Don't think at all and you're back to square one.

Hints, tips, suggestions?

mskater93

Record Breaker
You've worked to no rotation variety? You've worked the 1/4 flip (1/2 flip that lands on take off foot)? Think about pulling back more so that you are tall over the picking side as you leave the ice and pressing the shoulders down and pulling the core UP.

jjane45

On the Ice
Two-foot take off? Is your landing solid on one foot? Practice lifting the free leg higher stopped my two-foot landing, not sure if that helps you.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I had a problem of heavily two footing the take off on my flip. I basically kept the riding the edge around my toe pick and up so the tracing on the ice showed the skating dge going past the pick in mark and often around it. The only thing that has fixed this for me is to concetrate on driving the skating (ie not picking) knee up and soon as I pick in. If i concentrate on the stretching back to pick in and driving the free knee up then the edge stops about a blade length before the pick mark (which i'm told is about right). It took a long time to unlearn the bad technique I previously had so good luck.

Ant