Pairs FS 4CCs | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Pairs FS 4CCs

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Y/C program was gorgeous but looked cautious from the stream. SBS jumps good, spins good, lifts fine. Not sure if difficulty was up with the Canadians'. One major mistake: she popped the throw triple sal to a single. I don't think it will be enough to overtake L/S though. 111.72 total 166.97 and 4th place. Too bad no medal. If they had gone clean in SP and FS, I think they would have the bronze.

Great day for the Canadians, two medals and 5th (near tie with Y/C for 4th).

Shaba22

Final Flight
Final Results:
1 Qing PANG / Jian TONG (CHN) 199.45
2 Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD (CAN) 181.79
3 Paige LAWRENCE / Rudi SWIEGERS (CAN) 171.73
4 Caitlin YANKOWSKAS / John COUGHLIN (USA) 166.97
5 Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Dylan MOSCOVITCH (CAN) 166.22
6 Amanda EVORA / Mark LADWIG (USA) 157.30
7 Narumi TAKAHASHI / Mervin TRAN (JPN) 152.63
8 Mary Beth MARLEY / Rockne BRUBAKER (USA) 144.46
9 Yue ZHANG / Lei WANG (CHN) 138.93
10 Huibo DONG / Yiming WU (CHN) 135.10

gold12345

Medalist
The Canadian pairs did really well today. I can't help but feel so happy for Meagan Duhamel to be doing well after such a rough year last year. And she learned a triple twist! It's not great yet, but I'm surprised she's got it now. I even see some small improvements in how she presents herself. She and Radford did a great job today, and their reaction to their placement/score was just great! Now if only they could fix that leg wrap, those lift positions, etc. But it's really turned out to be a great year for them.

shusterbutski

Rinkside
Really happy with the results for the Canadians, it will be interesting to see where M-T/M and D/R can place at worlds. That FS score for D/R is really impressive, I like what I saw at nationals and am thrilled at their result, hopefully they can skate clean in the short. M-T/M weren't their best, hopefully they can take what they learned from this competition and make it work for them at worlds. Hopefully most of the performances will be posted on YouTube.

icemusings

On the Ice
Pang and Tong were good here and seem to be peaking at the right time. I saw them really perform their program for the first time all season.

Swiegers and Lawrence were good but there are things they can do to improve their GOEs. My feed froze in the middle and I understand he had some problems on his sbs jumps.

Duhamel and Radford skated really well. If she can work on her air positions in the lifts and clean up some of their jumps they could consistently be among the best in the world.

Yankowskas and Coughlin lost the bronze medal because of a mistake on their throw triple salchow which she singled. It just seemed like she didn't get enough height on the takeoff. This really is a spellbinding program and I think if they can go clean with both programs at worlds they'll place well.

icemusings

On the Ice
Really happy with the results for the Canadians, it will be interesting to see where M-T/M and D/R can place at worlds. That FS score for D/R is really impressive, I like what I saw at nationals and am thrilled at their result, hopefully they can skate clean in the short. M-T/M weren't their best, hopefully they can take what they learned from this competition and make it work for them at worlds. Hopefully most of the performances will be posted on YouTube.

In fact, their free skate score is the 5th best for the season at any ISU competition!

shusterbutski

Rinkside
Thanks I was actually going to ask because I figured it was one of the highest scores this season. Awesome for them!

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Amanda & Jeremy are NOT married yet. They just got engaged over the Christmas holiday but haven't made any wedding plans yet. I'm so sorry to hear that Jeremy's grandmother passed away. I knew she'd had a stroke recently but I hadn't heard the other news. I'm sure that was heavy on Amanda's heart today. :cry:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I couldn't bring myself to the Jeremy injury thread again. That photo was just scary. Now I'm even a bit afraid of watching pairs skating.

On a happy note, congratulations to P/T and the Canadians! P/T are going to get married soon.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Did anyone see the medal ceremony? It was restaged after the FD because the Chinese nation anthem wasn't played at the Pairs' medal presentation due to technical problems.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
^^ I didn't know about the grandmother. Sorry to hear. I didn't realize Amanda and Jeremy were already married--thought they were still engaged. Regardless, yes they each have had a full plate of worries off-ice.

they're still just engaged. No way could they have slipped in a wedding between their engagement over teh holidays and training for nationals/worlds.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Is Sochi in the plans for P/T after the wedding? If so there will only be a third podium spot for the Olys.

I think its a good idea for P/T to go on top with a world medal (hopeing another world title, but unlikely, the germens are the fav right now). Get some rest and if they still have the fire by Sochi, they can come back. Only problem is who is going to keep the 3 spots for China?? Zhangs need to come back strong next season to keep at least 2 spots for world, and Sui/Han are still too young and unlikely they will finish in top 10 in their first year.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Is Sochi in the plans for P/T after the wedding? If so there will only be a third podium spot for the Olys.

I don't think there is any wedding plan for P/T at this point, unless I completely missed his proposal, which is supposed to be an elaborate event. I found this Jan 4 write up in the Chinese press.

Tong's two goals for 2011 are 1) to establish a skating club, and 2) to propose to Pang properly. He intends it to be an important and very romantic event, making sure it will be most memorable for her. However, he hasn't figured out how to do it yet.

He talks about the pressure since the Olympics, having to carry Pairs skating for China with S/Z's retirement and the Zhang's injury, while facing the challenges from the German and Russian teams. The busy schedule and intense attention make it more difficult to train but they are motivated and confident.

Tong says that ever since the announcement of their coupledom, he has to take a lot from Pang. Now he can't act out if he is upset during training like he used to. Pang just smiles at him without disputing that statement.

The relationship brought about two romantic programs but they had to go back to the old SP because the judges disapproved the new one.

Last edited:

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
Just an OT thought on T/T:

I get that they're Japan's only internationally viable Pairs' team, but WHAT ON EARTH was JSF thinking sending them to 2 JGPs, 2 GPs, JGPF, 4CC, JWC, and WC?

I feel that 8 ISU events in a season is a bit much, no matter how much you're that country's only hope.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
GirlT continues to mess up SBS jumps. They really have potential to medal at Worlds if she's a stronger jumper. BoyT should find a strong jumper in canada to pair up and represent his country. But he seems like a whatever-laid-back-relaxed type, so they aren't going anywhere.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
On Feb. 16, 2011 from Ice Network, Pang/Tong are planning to get married after the Worlds.
"The wedding will definitely take place after we compete at worlds." Tong said.
Asked if they will have an on-ice wedding celebration ala Shen and Zhao, Tong laughed.

"It will be even greater than that wedding," he said.

Last edited: