Ladies Short Program | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Ladies Short Program

YunaBliss

On the Ice
No, I noticed the edge problem. Miki has HUGE jumps, and today, terrific choreography, BUT she didn't seem at all comfortable with the choreography-none of it flows, and yes, I wish she would learn to extend her leg and point her toe. By the way though, Yuna also fails to point her toe-bugs me to death.

When i meant miki lacked artistry, i didnt mean she didnt toe-point... Toe-pointing has absolutely no relevance to whether one is able to artistically express herself. One could toe-point to umpteenth degree and yet demonstrate zero artistry.

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
I meant in terms of score inflation and being the judges pet, not in terms of skating ability (where Chan is light years ahead).

I know what you meant. ;) pangtongfan, we already know you don't like Miki, so stop acting like a troll everytime she skates.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I know what you meant. ;) pangtongfan, we already know you don't like Miki, so stop acting like a troll everytime she skates.

I second that. PTF made your point. You think Miki doesn't deserve top skater status. We get it. We just don't agree with you. :)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

Little surprise a Miki Ando fanatic would tell others to be quiet about her overscoring (note I am just one of many in this thread pointing out Andos disgusting overscoring). As fans of the sport those of us who care about the sports well being will not be quiet about disgraceful and unjust scoring which is unfair to the skaters and has already nearly destroyed the sport. Scores like Miki Andos ridiculous completely unjustified scores all season are the exact reason you are all watching this event through cheap internet feeds since nobody can be bothered to televise the farce figure skating judging has become anymore.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Little surprise a Miki Ando fanatic would tell others to be quiet about her overscoring (note I am just one of many in this thread pointing out Andos disgusting overscoring). As fans of the sport those of us who care about the sports well being will not be quiet about disgraceful and unjust scoring which is unfair to the skaters and has already nearly destroyed the sport. Scores like Miki Andos ridiculous completely unjustified scores all season are the exact reason you are all watching this event through cheap internet feeds since nobody can be bothered to televise the farce figure skating judging has become anymore.

Um, I would appreciate if you didn't speak for all us fans. Yes others feel the way you do, but not every figure skating fan does. Many people have pointed over and over again why we believe Miki gets the scores she gets, yet you keep banging the "unfair and corrupt judging" drum.

And I think it's a bit much to blame Miki Ando for the downfall of skating. We're watching internet feeds from Asia because figure skating is MORE popular over there.

Anyway, I've leave it that. You can go ahead and continue on your Miki-hating. I'm not going to debate anymore.

Last edited:

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker

I couldn't care less if people like Miki or not, but enough is enough. You don't see me here acting like a jerk just because I don't like this or that skater. And if you think Miki's overscored, blame the judges, not her.

Okami

On the Ice
Little surprise a Miki Ando fanatic (...)

MikiAndoFan#1 is anything but a "fanatic". I've never seen him being disrespectful towards other skaters, and he regularly posts on the forum dedicated to other skaters.

Miki went through many struggles during her career, but one would have to be blind (or not watch her programs at all :p ) not to notice that she improved a lot this season. She has programs that suit her well, she improved her step sequences (they go better with the music), the use of arms/hands and her spins. I'm particularly impressed with the twisted sit spin position (which Miki seems to have invented, I don't remember seeing it before) and beautiful classical position on the sit spin in the CCoSp. And while her recurring back/shoulder injury prevents her from having a deep back bend in the layback spin or doing the Biellman, she makes up for it with nice arm positions and acceleration during the spin.

I love her entrance into 3L - bang out of nowhere, a'la Oda. Her knee bend on the landings improved as well and she holds the landing edge longer than in the past.

mcc

Rinkside
I couldn't care less if people like Miki or not, but enough is enough. You don't see me here acting like a jerk just because I don't like this or that skater. And if you think Miki's overscored, blame the judges, not her.

Sure, skaters should not be blamed by the scores they got. We should blame the judges who gave +0.2 GOE on two footed and underrotated combos of Asada.

Lily.Grace

Rinkside
Yeah how can Asada get credit for such horrible jumps? I don't get it...
I really loved Rachael and Mirai:)
Sure, skaters should not be blamed by the scores they got. We should blame the judges who gave +0.2 GOE on two footed and underrotated combos of Asada.

miki88

Medalist
As always, I'm not surprised by the baseless arguments some posters make for unfair scoring for skaters they don't like. :rolleye:

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Yeah how can Asada get credit for such horrible jumps? I don't get it...
I really loved Rachael and Mirai:)

Well Asada has been underscored last season so much because of unfair downgrades on her 3A( like 2010 worlds) that I would not mind if the judges would have given her +3 on her jumps today. I'm exagerating of course, but her combo today was fully rotated, and only in the replay it seemed slighty 2footed. In real time, I thought her combo was just fine

oleada

Record Breaker
I thought Miki was really good last night. She's never going to be most artistic skater, but she did a good job with the music - felt it more than usual.

What I was really impressed with was how good her skating skills looked. Her flow, speed and ice coverage were top notch and along with Nagasu, the best of the night. Sometimes she can look labored, but that was not at all the case last night.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I just watched some of the programs..

Akiko and Rachael were the highlights for me. I'm still sad Akiko's not going to Worlds. Mirai was pretty good as well, and of course Miki. This new SP is better than the one she was using at the beginning of the season, but it's still a little lackluster for me.

Cynthia looked uncomfortable as soon as she got on the ice, and through the program too. It sucks that she fell on the lutz (and that Alissa did too), but she and Alissa are still in good positions going into the FS.

It was good to see Mao not singling jumps, but she's still not back where she was last year.

Andalusia

Final Flight
Most of the SPs are up on YouTube except Mirai's, for some reason.

Those kvetching about Ando's scores need to can it. I don't normally like her skating, but she was clearly the best here. The jumps were fab and everything else looked really crisp. Mao looked sharp and focused but the jumps were half-heartedly done. Rachael was satisfactory, but we know this is about the best she can do even when clean.

Layfan

Record Breaker

Those kvetching about Ando's scores need to can it. I don't normally like her skating, but she was clearly the best here. The jumps were fab and everything else looked really crisp. Mao looked sharp and focused but the jumps were half-heartedly done. Rachael was satisfactory, but we know this is about the best she can do even when clean.

People are complaining about Miki? Whatever. She was far and away the best last night. I liked her new SP and I thought she showed more softness and lyricism than utual. She was terrific.

Thanks to everyone for the pbps and comments. I"m glad to see there's such a strong little night owl community. I'm normally one too but last night I just evaporated.

So happy to see the new Miki -- the soft, feminine look, the haunting music, and the program all came together for her this season - and the arm-flailing (which I actually liked until it turned up in all her programs) is gone. Put that together with her incredible technique and you have a beautiful champion. I loved the smile when she landed the 2A. I also love her camel spin (however brief!) - she's one of the few to do it with perfect line and a totally straight standing knee. Do NOT understand her sad demeanor in the K&C, it certainly didn't seem to be Morozov's message.

mskater93

Record Breaker

If anyone finds Mirai's can the post a link? Miki looks like she believes in this program in the same way Rachel looks like she believes in hers more than the previous SP. Miki just skated it lights out from a power perspective.