Ladies Short Program | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Ladies Short Program

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Rachaels new SP is much nicer. Too bad she still has that godawful LP. And I dont think hardly anyone talks about Rachael being overscored generally. Nationals this year was about the only time some people thought she was gifted. Usually she isnt scored with much genororisity.

Miki Ando is a whole other story altogether. However this year is a whole new level of score inflation. She is the Patrick Chan of womens skating minus all the brilliance of Chan who falls aside is clearly the best skater in the World today otherwise, which Ando amongst her gender certainly is not.

She was gifted this year at Nationals? :confused:
Miki improved so much. Her jumps remind me of Irina. Good for her.

I would put Miki first, Rachael second, Mao third, Mirai 4th, Alissa 5th.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
My thoughts on the Ladies:

- Miki's performance was my favorite, boy did she shine beautifully skated and executed
program.

- Loved Mirai SP even tho she got dinged on her jumps.

- I thought Rachael's performance was quite lovely. Much improved since Nationals, glad
she toned down the flailing in her footwork section.

- I always love Mao's skating but her SP imo lacked her sparkle, I miss that from Mao.

- Chelzie, loved her costume I enjoyed her and also Kwak's programs a lot, I think they
both did a decent job.

Alissa and Akiko did not have their best performance but I am sure they will be bringing their A game for the FS.

Wishing all of the Ladies good luck tonight.

jovani2293

On the Ice
Today, I think each of the girls got the scores they deserved. People need to get off Miki's back. She skated clean which in figure skating is a major part of the score and it is what wins title and earns you good scores. No matter if you accept it or not, that how is goes. The second part is the PCS and being ARTISTIC is not the only way to get a high score in this part. A great skate, like the one Miki skated, earns a high PCS. She has been skating clean in the long and the scores have shown it and now the scores are showing in the short program. She might not be Kim, but she is a champion. She is finally showing it and just because you don't like the fact that she is skating amazing, earning great scores, and winning, it doesn't mean you can bash on her.

lilshorty

On the Ice
What I liked best about Miki's program is her solid, fluid-like jumps and her effort to be more lyrical. Aside from that, "Gabriel's Oboe" is beautiful music but she still skates sort of mechanical to it.The program is front loaded with jumps and choreographically it does nothing to highlight or showcase the beauty of the oboe's chords. A program does not just consist of a pretty song, a pretty dress, and jumps. But oh well, if it's working for Miki... She still deserved to be first though, imo. But I would probably switch Mao and Rachael. I did not see Alissa's program but with a fall, I felt that maybe Akiko should have been above her even though she didn't skate that well either. But Alissa also gets heavy GOE on her non-jump elements, so it more than makes up for it.

I think Rachael has lost some weight and it looks great. The girl is serious. More power to her. I like this Rachael - she is really selling it. Overselling it in the fw section, IMO, but still, a big improvement.

Also, is it possible she redid her dress in a lighter yellow? Or is it just a different light? At US Nats it looked gold, here more lemony. I like it much better.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I wasn't able to watch this but I just want to say what a pleasure its been to read the last few posts & the complimentary points they've made about the girls. I hate reading the snarky, negative remarks by posters who can't appreciate the dedication & hard work all the competitors put into their programs & doing their best.

lilshorty

On the Ice
I think Rachael has lost some weight and it looks great. The girl is serious. More power to her. I like this Rachael - she is really selling it. Overselling it in the fw section, IMO, but still, a big improvement.

Also, is it possible she redid her dress in a lighter yellow? Or is it just a different light? At US Nats it looked gold, here more lemony. I like it much better.

I noticed it too. Rachael's a hard worker and has made tremendous improvements in her skating. But for me, the yellow is not a good color at all on her. I think it clashes with her skin tone.

Reginald

Match Penalty
It looks as if Rachel Flatt has proven to everyone that she is better than Mirai Nagasu (and its not just a "Nationals" thing).

burntBREAD

Medalist
It looks as if Rachel Flatt has proven to everyone that she is better than Mirai Nagasu (and its not just a "Nationals" thing).

Jump-wise. Mirai had problems in her first two jumps passes (slightly two-footed lutz and UR, and edge call on the flip). Mirai's 2A is better than Rachael's, as are her spins and speed. Rachael is better mental strength-wise, though, so I'd actually put them about even. If everything comes together, though, Mirai is better IMO.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
Jump-wise. Mirai had problems in her first two jumps passes (slightly two-footed lutz and UR, and edge call on the flip). Mirai's 2A is better than Rachael's, as are her spins and speed. Rachael is better mental strength-wise, though, so I'd actually put them about even. If everything comes together, though, Mirai is better IMO.

Not to mention that one can't make sweeping statements like that based on just on one competition, let alone the short program (i.e. ONE THIRD, point value wise) of the competition

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I noticed it too. Rachael's a hard worker and has made tremendous improvements in her skating. But for me, the yellow is not a good color at all on her. I think it clashes with her skin tone.

I totally agree. I think her hair needs to be styled better as well. I get that she wants to look more mature on the ice, but her current style makes her look much, much older than she should. Nice to see that she's made improvements in her skating though.

P.S. Mao Asada's dress is a huuuuuge improvement! :biggrin::thumbsup:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I thought she looked thinner, too. It was a big improvement. (Skating is such a harsh sport, but you do what you have to do). The style of her dress is very good for her, but yellow is a difficult color for just about everyone. But the color is growing on me, too. Well done, Rachael!

ibauer

Rinkside

She's proved it to you. I still think she's one of the dullest skaters since Nancy Kerrigan.