Pairs prospects | Golden Skate

Pairs prospects

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
So, I guess since they won the Mont Blanc Trophy with a high score (199+), Volosozhar and Trankov are in?

oleada

Record Breaker
Yes, they met the minimum score, obviously ;)

My bet is on a S/S, V/T & K/S podium, with S/S as favorites for the gold. Now, they have the highest scores so far, but they're also skating well. P/T seem a bit lackluster this year. They've got the SP down, but they've yet to have a clean SBS jumping pass in the free program all season. They also tend to struggle with levels, which isn't a problem for V/T or S/S. They also have weaker SBS spins & lifts than the other two teams. But if they put it all together, they'll be up there. It should be a great battle between those four teams for the podium :)

Bazarova/Larionov are likely top 5 finishers. The next 5 spots for the top ten should be interesting, as the following six teams can place anywhere from 6-11th depending on how they skate on the day.

Duhamel/Radford
Moore-Towers/Moscovitch
Lawrence/Sweigers
Evora/Ladwig
Yankowskas/Coughlin
Berton/Hotarek

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Does Canada have three spots? You mention Lawrence/Swiegers. I'd like for them to go, but...

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Lawrence and Swiegers unfortunately won't be there.

I'm not sure what to think about podium placements at the worlds now. I think that Savchenko and Szolkowy will be on the podium for sure, probably gold. I was ready to maybe predict Pang and Tong in 4th before this 4CC, but they did skate really well, at least in the SP (I didn't see the LP but I know they got a high score/won). I'm thinking now that the podium will be Savchenko and Szolkowy, Pang and Tong, and then a Russian team, not necessarily in that order. Which Russian team? Kavaguti/Smirnov or Volosozhar/Trankov, but I honestly can't say which I think it will be! After the top four, pairs is kind of like dance, the order could be mixed up on any given day. Don't forget Hausch/Wende could sneak into the top 10.

oleada

Record Breaker
Does Canada have three spots? You mention Lawrence/Swiegers. I'd like for them to go, but...

You both are right! I totally brain farted on that.

And I agree about Huasch/Wende - they've improved so much this year. I've been impressed. Their SBS triples are excellent.

blue-idealist, P/T did win, but their score of 128, while a season's best is lower than V/T, S/S and K/S have scored all year. They've really struggled with the side by side jumps all year (only did 2T and 2A-1A here).

mousepotato

On the Ice
Top season scores.

S/S 210.72 - GPF
K/S 203.61 - EUR
V/T 199.84 - MBT
P/T 199.45 - 4CC

I think only S/S are guaranteed a medal and I can't even give them the gold for sure because none of the four are very consistent including them.

V/T will have to perform as well as they did at Russian nationals to be on the podium, if they perform like they did in Italy, it will be hard for them to beat the top two if those two teams are on. I think the scores they got at nationals were too high (esp PCS) I'm thinking the range they got in Italy was more accurate. I have heard that they weren't really trying but I'm not sure if I belive that, it's the last competition before worlds, there is no way they wouldn't have done their best to work out the kinks.

I would have thought P/T were losing it until I saw them at 4CC, they are really coming together. They can get a medal (I don't think they will get gold) but if they make any errors I think they'll end up in 4th.

K/S have a great free skate and they seem to get better every time they perform. They need to get their nerves under control but Yuko is competing at home so that may help. I hope they have put the injuries and time off behind them and perform well. I hope they can finally perfrom a level 4 ds, not sure if they will put it in yet. I'm sure K/S and S/S will be happy the rink is heated!

The top 4 is really anyone's game to win or lose. Same for the 5th though 10th place.

mousepotato

On the Ice
P/T really need to fix the timing issues as well. That is the same problem they had at the Olympics. At this level they can't give up even one point.

bekalc

Record Breaker
V/T will have to perform as well as they did at Russian nationals to be on the podium, if they perform like they did in Italy, it will be hard for them to beat the top two if those two teams are on. I think the scores they got at nationals were too high (esp PCS) I'm thinking the range they got in Italy was more accurate. I have heard that they weren't really trying but I'm not sure if I belive that, it's the last competition before worlds, there is no way they wouldn't have done their best to work out the kinks.

There was talk that the altitude bothered V/T. I do think though in terms of intricate choregraphy etc, they need some more time. I really think next year will be their year. My feeling though is they will be the team with the Russian federation's support, and really long term wise I see them challenging S/S in the future more than K/S.

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
The Germans heavy favorites for gold. Volosozhar & Trankov and Kavaguti & Smirnov both with a shot of gold or silver, V&T with slightly more IMO, but both with the danger of falling to 4th too. Pang & Tong with a shot of silver or bronze, no shot of gold this year, and right now look most likely to finish 4th. The 3rd Russian pair with an outside shot at bronze, and most likely to finish 5th, could finish lower than 5th only with a disaester.

Then after that the Canadians with a good chance to take 6th and 7th and get 3 pairs for Worlds but only if both pairs have very good competitions. The Americans most likely below the Canadians. Takahashi & Tran somewhere in the top 10, possibly the #1 Italians too.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Hausch and Wende GER have a decent chance of earning top ten, in which case Germany will very possibly get 3 pairs for next year.

BackStage Barbie

On the Ice
Now that Duhamel/Radford put up those great programs, I have to think they'll potentially be in the mix. Here are my predictions. Keep in mind that I am dying for the US to qualify a 3rd pair team so in placing them 6th/7th I may be just a tad partial.

1) Savchenko/Szolkowy
2) Voloshozar/Trankov
3) Kavaguti/Smirnov
4) Pang/Tong
5) Bazarova/Larionov
6) Yankowskas/Coughlin
7) Evora/Ladwig
8) Moore-Towers/Moscovitch
9) Duhamel/Radford
10) Takahashi/Tran

mousepotato

On the Ice
I know this is across 4 competitions but it's fun to look at the numbers anyway....

Seasons highest SP Scores:

S/S - 74.40 GPF
P/T - 71.41 4CC
K/S - 69.49 EUR
V/T - 68.30 MBT

Seasons highest LP Scores:

S/S - 136.32 GPF
K/S - 134.12 EUR
V/T - 131.54 MBT
P/T - 128.04 4CC

Seasons highest Total Scores:

S/S 210.72 - GPF
K/S 203.61 - EUR
V/T 199.84 - MBT
P/T 199.45 - 4CC

zizi

Rinkside
My dream podium is S/S,V/T,K/S. Too bored for P/T's programs.
They cannot handle any new choreography. Only to reuse old actions and tricks for many years can they skate well.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I think Duhamel and Radford will be ahead of both US teams. I'm a little worried about Moore-Towers and Moscovitch since they seemed so tired at 4CCs. I don't want them to fall out of the top 10.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm not as worried about the chances of the US pairs. Both had to be exhausted by US Nationals, which was an epic pairs competition. 4CC's followed that so closely. And then all the angst over Mark's boot in the SP. I expect both teams to skate much better at Worlds! Now it's possible that one or more of the Canadian teams will skate better than the US teams even so...

Dramahkween

On the Ice
Montalbano/Krasnapolski will be going! I'm so happy that Danielle is recovering well!! She has a photo on her Facebook page of her X-ray taken after that freak accident in Bern...YUCK! Her shoulder was severely dislocated...It happened the morning of the SP too....I really am surprised how fast she is coming back. Apparently she was on the ice about a week and a half after getting home from Euros! I really am a fan of theirs- I was before, but now even more so because Danielle's drive and determination really inspires me! I'm gonna think of her next time I complain that I'm sore or have a little pain! LOL
http://www.facebook.com/?sk=lf#!/pho...810025&theater

I really hope they make a nice comeback and that she can stay healthy now!

mousepotato

On the Ice
Montalbano/Krasnapolski will be going! I'm so happy that Danielle is recovering well!! She has a photo on her Facebook page of her X-ray taken after that freak accident in Bern...YUCK! Her shoulder was severely dislocated...It happened the morning of the SP too....I really am surprised how fast she is coming back. Apparently she was on the ice about a week and a half after getting home from Euros! I really am a fan of theirs- I was before, but now even more so because Danielle's drive and determination really inspires me! I'm gonna think of her next time I complain that I'm sore or have a little pain! LOL
http://www.facebook.com/?sk=lf#!/pho...810025&theater

I really hope they make a nice comeback and that she can stay healthy now!

I'm glad she is doing well and can compete. I can't see the picture, you must have to be her friend. Not sure I wanted to see it anyway. Dislocations are gross enough when they happen to Kawaguchi I hate to think somene else has to go through that.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Total Average Score from this season's top 12 teams going to worlds:

1 SAVCHENKO, Aliona / SZOLKOWY, Robin GER 203.13
2 VOLOSOZHAR, Tatiana / TRANKOV, Maxim RUS 199.84*
3 PANG, Qing / TONG, Jian CHN 190.43
4 KAVAGUTI, Yuko / SMIRNOV, Alexander RUS 188.16
5 BAZAROVA, Vera / LARIONOV, Yuri RUS 177.43
6 MOORE-TOWERS, Kirsten / MOSCOVITCH, Dylan CAN 170.55
7 YANKOWSKAS, Caitlin / COUGHLIN, John USA 162.86
8 DUHAMEL, Meagan / RADFORD, Eric CAN 162.58
9 EVORA, Amanda / LADWING, Mark USA 157.27
10 TAKAHASHI, Narumi / TRAN, Mervin JPN 156.23
11 BERTON, Stefania / HOTAREK, Ondrej ITA 156.20
12 HAUSCH, Maylin / WENDE, Daniel GER 147.59

*Only 1 international competition.

With those numbers I say S/S are huge favorites but any combination is possible for the top 4 teams and it sucks cause they are all really high quality and I already feel bad for the pairs that ends up 4th..

After that is Bazarova/Lariono alone for the 5th spot.

Down the rankings, the canadians have the edge over the american teams.. but the japanese and italians can crush their hopes for the 3rd spot.