Men's Long Program | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Men's Long Program

Treeloving, you are sooo lucky! Thanks for conveying what it was like to see Daisuke live.

There are a lot of skaters that impress me while they're competing, but only a few make my life list. I know that Takahashi will be one of them, right up there with Kurt Browning and Michelle Kwan. He's definitely Hall of Fame material to me. What he does to music goes beyond brilliance and enters the realm of magic.

I just came back form watching him live. He is even better than in youtube. I don't really crazy about his program when watch on youtube,but watching him live I cry when he skated. I don't know how to explain, he was just too extraordinary.

From my experience tonight, I really feel that every skate fan should watch him live one.
I couldn't agree more and to that end I hereby request that the Japanese fed send him to NY, NJ, and all the major American cities forthwith. We are Dai-deprived over here.

ETA: Did people catch the poster in the crowd with the little mop-haired cartoon Daisuke? Love it! And oh boy, does he look glorious in slo-mo.

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker
I just came back form watching him live. He is even better than in youtube. I don't really crazy about his program when watch on youtube,but watching him live I cry when he skated. I don't know how to explain, he was just too extraordinary.

From my experience tonight, I really feel that every skate fan should watch him live one.

Oh, definitely. I certainly liked Daisuke when I watched his skating via Youtube and video streaming, but I really became a huge fan after watching his La Strada live. For someone who's not very tall in real life, Daisuke just skates like he's eight feet tall and owns the ice--in common parlance, he's beyond fierce!

Anyways, his skate here at 4CC reminded me of his skate at the Olympics last year (big fall on quad, great on everything else). Hopefully this means that he'll be even better at Worlds, just like last year!

sigrid

On the Ice
Yes, he did, before the GP season started, in Japan. Went downhill from there, though he got the fight knocked into him in Skate Canada by the clash with Patrick.
Exactly, I just read this on icenetwork:

Adam Rippon spoke about the ongoing challenge of mastering the triple Axel, a jump he was unable to land here: "I don't know what the problem has been. When I started out in the summer, it felt much better. I think, even though it sounds silly, winning the free skate at the Japan Open [in early October] spooked me because I didn't know all my hard work would pay off so quickly. I'd rather learn this lesson this season rather than one closer to the next Olympics. I have to completely change the Axel technique."

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Adam better start improving quickly because of all the young guns coming up. Dornbush already has it over him in terms of jumps but i also want to see how Jason Brown develops. He's just a triple axel from being a threat as soon as next year. Throw in Miner, Armin, Keegan Messing and it gets crowded at the top.

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why doesn't Jeremy get the levels on his footwork? Anyone know?

:confused: I guess because he doesn't wonderlessly flail his arms uncontrollably out of their sockets while ignoring the music and scatters through it hysterically like he's being eaten alive by fire ants?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm still bothered by the fact that Abbott isn't going to Worlds over a .19 difference when he proves time and time again that he will put up higher (much higher) scores than Miner internationally, but oh well. Who needs a medal threat at Worlds? :rolleye: :disapp:

I'm happy for Abbott that he put in two solid performances, but he didn't really sell if for me that he should have been on the world team. Quite frankly, if it wasn't for Kozuka's meltdown for the SP, Abbott would have been OTP.

That aside, Jeremy made too many mistakes and left too many points on the table. I'm not too convinced that Jeremy is a medal threat given his tech as of late. (The three Chinese skaters actually beat him in TES.) I'm ready to see if the young ones can rise to the challenge.

And I say this as someone who is a huge fan and really love his programs this year. He has not skated his LP clean at all this season, which is a shame because I'm sure that clean it's even better.

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Jeremy didnt exactly show he was a medal threat for Worlds here. He was beaten by the #4 Japanese man. He made the podium since Kozuka bombed the short. When you add in Chan and the top European men he would be a medal long shot at Worlds at best based on anything he has shown this season thus far.

That said I agree entirely he should be on the team over Miner. A margin of 0.19 at Nationals in no way should overcome the huge difference in ability and performance this season between them.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Yuzuru's arms go with the music while Dai's arms are a distraction to the music. Kozuka is a male version of Ando, very calculating but not much in interpretation. Nobi is the best of the three, imo. However: Yuzuru will lead Japan into Sochi.

I completely disagree with your assessments of Dai, Kozuka, and Nobunari. How are Dai's arms a distraction to the music? He uses his arms better than anyone else in the entire current competitive field in his Short Program.

Kozuka has wonderful, subtle interpretation. Or at least he did in previous seasons. He has been trying something different this year and it's not really a good match. Hope he switches back to the style that fit him. Nobunari is easily the weakest of the three and is the one that should be compared to Ando.

Layfan

Record Breaker
:confused: I guess because he doesn't wonderlessly flail his arms uncontrollably out of their sockets while ignoring the music and scatters through it hysterically like he's being eaten alive by fire ants?

Heh. I really don't know. I'm ambivalent about his arm work in his SP. Sometime I really like it and sometimes I think it's too busy. But it's definitely deliberate and choreographed to the music - not at all flailing.

I'm thinking more his feet - it's hard for me to judge but it always looks swell and smooth to me. So I'd be interested to know where the judges think he is lacking on footwork.

BTW, I agree with the posters who have said that Jeremy didn't really prove himself a formidable medal threat there. Medal contender, yes. But not the guy to beat for a medal. Then again, nobody did except for Daisuke.
I don't know... I think Jeremy just hadn't been able to regain his form from last year for whatever reason, boot problems or wear and tear or whatever. I think next year is going to be rough for him.

wallylutz

Medalist
I'm happy for Abbott that he put in two solid performances, but he didn't really sell if for me that he should have been on the world team. Quite frankly, if it wasn't for Kozuka's meltdown for the SP, Abbott would have been OTP.

The fact is, he still beat Kozuka in this competition and we know Kozuka is Top 5 material at Worlds and the current Japanese Champion. Would any of the 2011 US World Team member be able to beat Kozuka at this competition in lieu of Jeremy? I doubt the answer can be a convincing yes. Chances are, many people would doubt that.

That aside, Jeremy made too many mistakes and left too many points on the table. I'm not too convinced that Jeremy is a medal threat given his tech as of late. (The three Chinese skaters actually beat him in TES.) I'm ready to see if the young ones can rise to the challenge.

True, he was far from perfect though if the selection criteria for World Team is perfection, then none of them would fit either because they too have a lot of small issues. Jeremy may not be a medal threat but don't you think the standard you are using here is overly strict? Would Bradley, Dornbush and Miner be medal threats? Frankly, it's quite unthinkable, even less than Jeremy.

And I say this as someone who is a huge fan and really love his programs this year. He has not skated his LP clean at all this season, which is a shame because I'm sure that clean it's even better.

The bottom line is do you want someone who at his worst, would still be Top 12 in the World or do you want some people, at their worst, could possibly not even qualify after the SP at Worlds? I think the answer is obvious.

genki

On the Ice
Treeloving:

Thank you so much for your report. Yes, I exactly know what you mean. I saw Dai's skate live at Skate Canada, Olympic and Skate America this year.

His is so captivating, and you will loose the sense of time. His skating grabs your soul and shakes it!!! THIS IS THE DIRECT TRANSLATION OF JAPANESE EXPRESSION. Dai himself said, " I would like to deliver performance that grabs people's soul."And he does it by his pure charisma and magic.Just astounding.

Can't he have his own PCS added to his score?------Dai's only Pure, Chrisma, Special!!! yeah

seniorita

Record Breaker
I dont think I can say how much thrilled I am for the podium and i hope it stays this way for worlds in any order!:hb:I think last time I saw a similar situation was a russian sweep podium like 100 years ago!

edit: now I realised I only saw the Lp results and thought Kozu medaled instead of Abott :(
but yey for jeremy!

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
I dont think I can say how much thrilled I am for the podium and i hope it stays this way for worlds in any order!:hb:I think last time I saw a similar situation was a russian sweep podium like 100 years ago!

edit: now I realised I only saw the Lp results and thought Kozu medaled instead of Abott :(
but yey for jeremy!

Aw, I'd be sad for Patrick if he didn't make the worlds podium. And I thought you were supposed to be a Brian Joubert fan.:p

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The fact is, he still beat Kozuka in this competition and we know Kozuka is Top 5 material at Worlds and the current Japanese Champion. Would any of the 2011 US World Team member be able to beat Kozuka at this competition in lieu of Jeremy? I doubt the answer can be a convincing yes. Chances are, many people would doubt that.

Still Kozuka had to bomb completly for Jeremy to beat him. Personally, while he was clean in his SP, he was tenative and he knew it. Jeremy has the potential to run away with this. In this competition he did not.

In addition, I never claimed that any of the 2011 World Team members could beat Kozuka. I'm sorry, but some whine that it was on 0.19, I see it that was still 0.19. You're either on on the podium or you're not.

True, he was far from perfect though if the selection criteria for World Team is perfection, then none of them would fit either because they too have a lot of small issues. Jeremy may not be a medal threat but don't you think the standard you are using here is overly strict? Would Bradley, Dornbush and Miner be medal threats? Frankly, it's quite unthinkable, even less than Jeremy.

I put Jeremy to a higher standard because quite frankly, his amazing programs and talent far surpass that of the top three men. Everyone expected him to walk away with this even if he was not perfect. And quite frankly, I get the sense that Jeremy even had the belief that a sub-par program would sneak him in because of that reputation he has.
No, I don't expect those three to be medal threats, but I still don't think its excusable to send someone when they have time and again made silly mistakes (and they know better).

The bottom line is do you want someone who at his worst, would still be Top 12 in the World or do you want some people, at their worst, could possibly not even qualify after the SP at Worlds? I think the answer is obvious.

I don't think it's so obvious. Given the caliber of men who are at worlds, I expect all three to qualify for the FS. Even Bradley with an injured foot and bad programs still finished 18th and helped the U.S. get three direct entries.

Adam and Jeremy KNOW that they are better, have more talent, better PCS. People can go on and on that Jeremy did well here at 4CC and this proves he deserved to be on the World team, but he needed to have that performance at Nationals.

ETA: You don't understand how much it pains me to say this. I am still very much a Jeremy fan, and it just is so sad for me to see Jeremy fall short of what I know he can do. He can do a eight-triple program with a quad with beautiful artistry. I know it. Heck we've seen it (at Skate Canada/GPF) I have spent the last few years just holding my breath hoping that he would have that breakthrough at the Worlds championship). At this point, I think he needs the tough love from the federation. I hope this will put a fire under him, like it did for Alissa.

Last edited:

gold12345

Medalist
Still Kozuka had to bomb completly for Jeremy to beat him.

It wasn't his best, but Kozuka definitely did not bomb this competition, and it's not like Abbott was flawless either. Regardless of the results, it is rather clear that both these men would be contenders to land on a World podium.

I put Jeremy to a higher standard because quite frankly, his amazing programs and talent far surpass that of the top three men. Everyone expected him to walk away with this even if he was not perfect. And quite frankly, I get the sense that Jeremy even had the belief that a sub-par program would sneak him in because of that reputation he has.
No, I don't expect those three to be medal threats, but I still don't think its excusable to send someone when they have time and again made silly mistakes (and they know better).

Those "silly mistakes" outscored the season high score of Ross Miner by over 25 pts. :laugh: Our World team could bring in better results if Abbott was on it, but unfortunately the US follows a close-minded system to select teams. I find it illogical to ignore all international scores when deciding which skaters are best equipped to represent the US in international competition. It's not that Miner will do poorly... It's just not the strongest team we could be sending.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Those "silly mistakes" outscored the season high score of Ross Miner by over 25 pts. :laugh: Our World team could bring in better results if Abbott was on it, but unfortunately the US follows a close-minded system to select teams. I find it illogical to ignore all international scores when deciding which skaters are best equipped to represent the US in international competition. It's not that Miner will do poorly... It's just not the strongest team we could be sending.

I don't believe past results are always an indication of success.

For one thing Miner made it really clear that his efforts at the GP series were far from his best. If you see the thread on The Edge, there's an article that talks about how he did a lot of work after the GP series because he knew that he could be better. And his performance at nationals was the refection of that work.

And to be honest, if you want to use past results to determine the future (as you seem to obsess over with Minor), then perhaps, one could argue that Florent and Tomas are a lot closer to the podium than Jeremy is because both of them had better season's best scores. HECK, Richard Dornbush had a better Season's best score... on the JGPF!

As we have seen some folks are late-season skaters...perhaps Miner is one of them.

ETA: Sorry for going off-topic folks. If we want more discussion on this (though I think this has been discussed to death, we probably need to do another thread...)

Our World team could bring in better results if Abbott was on it, but unfortunately the US follows a close-minded system to select teams.

I don't think it is closed-minded. In fact, I think you could just as well use that characterization for the view that the only thing that counts is sending the best team to worlds. The USFSA has broader objectives than just that.

I find it illogical to ignore all international scores when deciding which skaters are best equipped to represent the US in international competition. It's not that Miner will do poorly... It's just not the strongest team we could be sending.

The reason that it seems illogical is because of the premise -- that the only business of the USFSA is to send the best team to worlds. If you re-examine that premise, it won't look illogical at all. (JMO.)

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I hope Dornbush, Miner and Bradley all make the top 10 at worlds to prove the naysayers wrong. And I'm not an Abbott hater. I'm actually a fan of him but I believe others deserve their chances too.

Wasn't Bradley 4th at 4CC last year?