Men's Long Program | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Men's Long Program

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Aw, I'd be sad for Patrick if he didn't make the worlds podium. And I thought you were supposed to be a Brian Joubert fan.:p

I think the podium's going to be the same as it was last year: Chan, Joubert, and Takahashi. Chan's probably going to be first but I'm not sure the order of 2 and 3.

The one competition selection of worlds by the USFS has to be rethought. We not only lost Abbot but Mirai as well. The "best team" is just not the same as the strongest team. Conspiracy theory or not. Send the STRONGEST.

The one competition selection of worlds by the USFS has to be rethought. We not only lost Abbot but Mirai as well. The "best team" is just not the same as the strongest team. Conspiracy theory or not. Send the STRONGEST.

I think we are focusing too much on "conspiracy theories."

To me, there are two conflicting points of view.

1. The USFSA should send the strongest and most competitive team to worlds, by any means necessary.

2. The spots on the Worlds team should be decided on the basis of an open and inclusive competition.

IMHO, principle 2 is more important than principle 1.

Other countries laugh at us, feeling that principle number 2 is merely quaint and naive. *shrug* OK.

Nadine

Record Breaker

I'm totally against this, which I reiterate once more, no politics, let the US Nationals decide it, as it always has been.

The skaters know the deal, same as everybody else, you finish 1-2 (or 3 if apropos) and you go to Worlds. You don't, you stay home, simple as that. They know the score, the pressure, et al. If they can't handle it here, then most likely they can't handle it at Worlds either. Tough luck, come back better prepared and ready to rock next year. No coddling.

I'm totally against this, which I reiterate once more, no politics, let the US Nationals decide it, as it always has been.

The skaters know the deal, same as everybody else, you finish 1-2 (or 3 if apropos) and you go to Worlds. You don't, you stay home, simple as that. They know the score, the pressure, et al. If they can't handle it here, then most likely they can't handle it at Worlds either. Tough luck, come back better prepared and ready to rock next year. No coddling.
The conspiracy theory is there, no doubt about it, but it applies to both methods. A crooked committee or a crooked threatening of the judges. Pick your choice. And don't forget the luck in placing on the podium in one competition.

BTW, I do think it perks up the lackluster Nationals to be more exciting if there is a big prize like the World's Team for the one competition method. Maybe that is why some fans prefer to have the Nationals be the only decision maker.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Aw, I'd be sad for Patrick if he didn't make the worlds podium. And I thought you were supposed to be a Brian Joubert fan.:p

lol, I was??? I dont know how this came out. I m not a fan,not with the traditional meaning at least.When i was first writing here I would say i was quite negative about him, but one of the great things of this forum is that it can make you look a skater differently, for various reasons! And then i saw him live and he is cool and charismatic. I want him to do well and his fans to be happy :) And yes it would be nice if Chan , ABott IF , Oda, Joub ,Tomas and Brentsson IF :)() were on podium but the podium has three steps and I thought a japanese sweep will be great, Dai if this is his last season,Kozu at laaast and Hanyu for his first worlds, but anyway this was a dream I said loud, Hanyu is not going at Worlds anyway ;)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I think the podium's going to be the same as it was last year: Chan, Joubert, and Takahashi. Chan's probably going to be first but I'm not sure the order of 2 and 3.

Joubert isnt going to be on the podium. There are atleast 6 guys I would favor over him this year.

mskater93

Record Breaker
The conspiracy theory is there, no doubt about it, but it applies to both methods. A crooked committee or a crooked threatening of the judges. Pick your choice. And don't forget the luck in placing on the podium in one competition.

If there was some conspiracy theory, don't you think that Abbott and/or Rippon would have placed higher than Miner and Dornbush at Nationals? Why would they "hold up" two unknowns or "hold down" the two guys that secured three spots last year? Your conspiracy theory with regard to men makes NO sense. :rolleye:

As for the ladies, well, there are 2 for 3 spots and the two that are going to Worlds skated better at Nationals (aye, Mirai). :mad:

If there was some conspiracy theory, don't you think that Abbott and/or Rippon would have placed higher than Miner and Dornbush at Nationals? Why would they "hold up" two unknowns or "hold down" the two guys that secured three spots last year? Your conspiracy theory with regard to men makes NO sense. :rolleye:

As for the ladies, well, there are 2 for 3 spots and the two that are going to Worlds skated better at Nationals (aye, Mirai). :mad:
Check that out with MM. He originated the conspiracy theory.

Going back to my 6.0 days when a Fall could cost you a championship. Ask Cohen about that. Nowadays 3 Falls are a wrist slap or is it because judges were under orders?

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The USFSA has been using the same criteria to send skaters to Worlds since probably the 1950's. Seems like we've done pretty good in those 60 plus years. Name me another country with more World medals. Mirai and Jeremy blew it simple as that. I would love to see Mira go instead of either Rachael or Alissa after what happened at 4CC but it's not going to happen. As for the men give the young guys a chance. The US team needs to rebuild for Sochi and Jeremy probably won't even be around. If we lose the 3rd spot so be it we will get it back.

mskater93

Record Breaker
The USFSA has been using the same criteria to send skaters to Worlds since probably the 1950's. Seems like we've done pretty good in those 60 plus years. Name me another country with more World medals. Mirai and Jeremy blew it simple as that. I would love to see Mira go instead of either Rachael or Alissa after what happened at 4CC but it's not going to happen. As for the men give the young guys a chance. The US team needs to rebuild for Sochi and Jeremy probably won't even be around. If we lose the 3rd spot so be it we will get it back.

Remember when Johnny Weir won his first National title and Evan Lysacek was third? Michael Weiss finished up 4th that year at Nationals and didn't make the world team after many seasons of 3-6 at Worlds. Everyone was worried, but it turned out OK (didn't Lysacek end up 3rd at Worlds that year?).

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Jeremy didnt exactly show he was a medal threat for Worlds here. He was beaten by the #4 Japanese man. He made the podium since Kozuka bombed the short. When you add in Chan and the top European men he would be a medal long shot at Worlds at best based on anything he has shown this season thus far.

That said I agree entirely he should be on the team over Miner. A margin of 0.19 at Nationals in no way should overcome the huge difference in ability and performance this season between them.

I agree with this.

I'm very happy that Jeremy has gotten a bronze medal, but beaten by Hanyu showed that he wasn't on a top form. He has left a lot of points in both his SP and LP besides that ur-ed 4T. He should really work on his spins this off season. I'd think that the boot issue has affected his spins tremendously. Next year, his spins will have no problems like in 2009-10. No matter of anything, he is still one of the top male skaters US got, and the international judges recognized it. He should have been on the world team with Bradley and Dornbush. Sad for him! Really wish to see those programs one more time.

Last edited:

treeloving

Medalist
Treeloving, you are sooo lucky! Thanks for conveying what it was like to see Daisuke live.

What he does to music goes beyond brilliance and enters the realm of magic.

Totally agree!

Treeloving:

His is so captivating, and you will loose the sense of time. His skating grabs your soul and shakes it!!! THIS IS THE DIRECT TRANSLATION OF JAPANESE EXPRESSION. Dai himself said, " I would like to deliver performance that grabs people's soul."And he does it by his pure charisma and magic.Just astounding.

Can't he have his own PCS added to his score?------Dai's only Pure, Chrisma, Special!!! yeah

Exactly, when I watch him skate, I really feel that he skated with heart and soul.

After I fly back home,I will write more of my fan point of view impression :)

For now, apart form Dai, Kozuka LP is brilliant. Marina Zueva is genius. And watched Yuzuru quad after so many fall is just Wow.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I joined Nadine (pretty sure it was Nadine!) in gushing over Dai's charisma after Skate America, and I really like Taka, too, so Treeloving do write as much as you like when you get home!

treeloving

Medalist
As promise, I would like to share some of my impression. This is impression from fan point of view so there will not be many comments on technique, but mainly express how a fan feel for watching world class figure skating live for the first time.

Daisuke – I don’t think I have to say anymore, many of you understand exactly how I feel when watched him live. He got a hugh support from the crown especially from Japan fangirl. I heard so many “Dai – Chan” when he entered the ice. And even though how much I like other skaters in this event, I think he is the best. Apart from great artistry, Dai jump is also amazing.

Kozuka – Youtube cannot do him any justice. When watched him live, I realize how amazing he is. His movement across the ice and his speed is just brilliant as well as his program which I think it is one of if not the best choreographed program I saw that night. The music and choreography hilight his elegant movements and skating skills. He is also much much more expressive than in youtube, his expression although is different type than Dai since Dai really make me feel how to skate with heart and soul but it is still spectacular. I certainly think he should get better PCS scores (In my opinion should be better than Abbot).

Yuzuru – As his fan, I can’t believe I’m going to say this but I think he was over-score in LP. His program is great until he singled that Lutz. After that, he gradually lost his stamina which may partly because he used a lot of energy in warm-up. His speed is also slower compare to other top guy and he also still need to work on some issues on spin, program component and step sequence (His step is actually better than when I watch him in youtube). Anyway, I still think he should be on podium. His quad is just wow (when he take off it seems that the whole arena waiting to see if he could land it or not and when he land the audiences gave super big applause). His 3A and 3A -3T are excellent combined with cool Ina Bauer and how he enjoyed performing to the program, he deserve medal. He received second biggest support from audiences after Daisuke and the audience are surprise (in a good way) that he beated Kozuka and Abbot. By the way, even he dress like Johnny weir, he doesn’t skate like Johnny weir. Their style is different.

Abbot – His program is like sunshine, it is so warm. I forget the time when watching him. I love to see the program when he does it perfectly.

Rippon – He has great speed, but when I watched his program I felt that the ice has a lot of space to be filled. He doesn’t own the ice like Dai Kozuka or even Yuzuru. There are something that prevent me from enjoy his Rach2 which actually is one of my favorite music.

Sawyer – Super entertaining skate, very expressive. So refreshing to watch after so many man who skate pay more attention to jump than program component, he deserve better PCS and the audiences absolutely love him.

Misha Ge – Surprise of the night, his step sequence WOW me and many. He get standing ovation from some audience which I totally think he deserve. Hope he has harder technique next time.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
So good to hear!!

Thank you treeloving. I will have to find the program of Mischa Ge now.

I hope you will get tickets for Worlds!