Ladies - Long Program | Page 21 | Golden Skate

Ladies - Long Program

wallylutz

Medalist
WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!! MAO, that rocked. 7 triples..and clean as a whistle...

No, it was clearly not clean, even before I saw the protocol. I noted on my sheet two jumps needed to be reviewed when watching the live feed and it turned out, they were downgraded by the Technical Panel. By the 3rd Question mark, when she did her 3 Salchow, I said to myself, o.k. once, maybe twice, but not a 3rd iffy landing in a row. At that point, no more benefit of doubt for her, I decided her 3S was definitely in the negative GOE territory due to poor landing and I was being somewhat lenient with her since I was watching on the internet.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I am extremely ANGRY about the changes to Mao's program. The program she showed at Nationals was magical. This was not. The spread eagle is gone, the gorgeous spiral sequence is gone (replacing it with a lackluster one at the end that had almost no speed), the jumps were more frontloaded, the footwork was shortened and just randomly tapers off now, the final spin wasn't as well placed...ugh. The program no longer flows with the music. Just...UGH.

skfan

Final Flight
I am extremely ANGRY about the changes to Mao's program. The program she showed at Nationals was magical. This was not. The spread eagle is gone, the gorgeous spiral sequence is gone (replacing it with a lackluster one at the end that had almost no speed), the jumps were more frontloaded, the footwork was shortened and just randomly tapers off now, the final spin wasn't as well placed...ugh. The program no longer flows with the music. Just...UGH.

i admire your passion in declaring this. i too prefer it in its original form but if this format makes her feel more comfortable so she can skate with more confidence...

someone said lori went through the trouble of rearranging it so i doubt mao's team will change it back before worlds.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
If Mao keeps her program like this, and Alissa doesn't skate well, and Miki continues to play it safe...

All I can say is DEAR GOD, Yu-Na Kim MUST win Worlds.

miki88

Medalist
Well, I like some of the changes made to the Mao's LP, esp her beginning and ending poses! I do miss the spread eagle and the original spiral section but the new spiral fits in with the ending. I actually prefer the step seqence to be shortened because I'm tired of seeing long drawn out step seq under CoP. The original program was lovely but I felt it was a bit slow and drawn (which in a sense kind of fits with Leibestraum) but the new one has a faster pace and thus a better fit for a skating program.

M

mylastduchess

I actually really like the changes in Mao's program, I thought the spiral at the end was an original way to end the program.

on that note why doesn't Mao go for lv.4 in her spins she has a beillman a lv.4 should be a cinch

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Normally I would think a CoP step sequence being shortened is a good thing, but not here. The former step sequence was well balanced, went with the music, and conveyed an entire idea. This new one just randomly stops before it gets to the other side of the rink, suddenly leaving the progression of the music without any interpretation, so that she can start doing crossovers to move into a jump. I don't think the new ending pose is better either; it's very vanilla. Much preferred the draped arms and head in the old program.

katymay

Medalist
Scary photo

Wow, anyone notice something? Look at Marai-who is normal weight. (I would say Marai looks "perfect" for a female figure skater) Look to her left. Holy cow. That is just sad. My hope is that Mao and Miki find a way to EAT before they both die. And neither have been that small in the past, once upon a time they were 'twins' to Marai.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Wow, anyone notice something? Look at Marai-who is normal weight. (I would say Marai looks "perfect" for a female figure skater) Look to her left. Holy cow. That is just sad. My hope is that Mao and Miki find a way to EAT before they both die. And neither have been that small in the past, once upon a time they were 'twins' to Marai.

uh.... it's Mirai who has obviously gained some weight.. to the degree that she actually needs to shave off a few pounds.

gardenernaga

Rinkside
Do you know both Miki and Mao are famous for eating more than average Japanese boys? Mao loves to eat Japanese-style BBQ which Kozuka made for her (according to what Takahiko confess last month TV interview). They just consumed whatever calorie.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
If Mao keeps her program like this, and Alissa doesn't skate well, and Miki continues to play it safe...

All I can say is DEAR GOD, Yu-Na Kim MUST win Worlds.

If Yu Na doesnt fall 3 times she will easily win Worlds. This competition combined with Europeans is confirmation there is absolutely nobody to remotedly challenge her now. And with the way the judges were scoring here Yu Na skating like she did in Vancouver would have probably broken 250 points.

cooper

Medalist
If Yu Na doesnt fall 3 times she will easily win Worlds. This competition combined with Europeans is confirmation there is absolutely nobody to remotedly challenge her now. And with the way the judges were scoring here Yu Na skating like she did in Vancouver would have probably broken 250 points.

It will be tough for Yuna to skate like what she did at the Olympics. But I don't really care about the result I just want to see her skate again.

Congrats to all 3 medalists! Miki, Mao, and Mirai!

Lucky Star

Final Flight
Wow... These scores are :eek: I have no questions about Miki's first place (her scores were a bit too high though), but as for Mao and Mirai... Come on, almost every jump looked UR, how did they get full credit for them and +GOE? They both were overscored. I feel that technical callers at Euros were much stricter in every discipline, wonder how it will be at Worlds.

Yuna will have no problems winning Worlds this time for sure. If she will not fall 3-4 times, it's hers for taking.

miki88

Medalist
The scores usually go up toward the end of the season. If you look at PCS range, it's about in the normal range.

And seriously, there have been far more inflated scores in the past. :rolleye: Mao and Mirai are two skaters that are rarely given the benefit of the doubt by judges, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Oh come on! The girls did a fantastic job today. I don't find the scores inflated. Both Miki and Mao got credit for 6 triples(the number of jumps Yuna did at the Olys and got 150). Everyone predicts a catwalk for Kim, but remember last year she had 2 bad LP and a mediocre one: the disaster at SA, the GPF(she landed 4 jumps) and the less than stellar 2010 worlds overscored Lp. Mao and Miki today proved they are in top form heading to worlds. Yuna is a big question mark. Consistency isn't her thing either(she had 2 clean competitions in her senior career). Plus, with the new rules, she will have to downgrade her technical content or add a 3L(she can't do 3 2A)

Lily.Grace

Rinkside
I agree, I don't know how Yu Na is doing now, but I don't think it will be very difficult for her to beat them all:) Again, what a boring gold and silver medallists^^ But Miki clearly has all the jumps, so I won't say anything, but I still have to see Mao. I'm SO happy for Mirai!!! Finally!! She has a great mirai ahead of her, congrats!!!!!