What do you want to see at Worlds ...Ladies | Page 3 | Golden Skate

What do you want to see at Worlds ...Ladies

Since Worlds are going to be held at the same location as in 2007, I hope to have a déjà-vu of sorts (with suitable "replacements"), just for my own amusement. :biggrin:

1. Miki Ando
2. Mao Asada
3. Yuna Kim
4. Kimmie Meissner ---> Rachael Flatt
5. Yukari Nakano ---> Kanako Murakami
6. Carolina Kostner
7. Sarah Meier ---> Ksenia Makarova
8. Susanna Poykio ---> Kiira Korpi
9. Emily Hughes ---> Alissa Czisny
10. Joannie Rochette ---> Cynthia Phaneuf

Pretty plausible, no?

Yes! :rofl:

I just don't think she will. Sorry. It has nothing to with how I feel about her (I like her, for the most part).

Of course a skater will say she's training, it keeps her in the press. See also Kwan, Michelle.

Michelle told me personally that she is back in training for Sochi. If they won't let her skate she plans to stand on the sidelines and pass out autographed copies of her master's thesis.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I believe US sports will show whatever, but they will be selling live streaming Worlds, probably for a prohibitively high price, like $49.

I will grouse, but pay it.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Haven't read this entire thread, but what I have made me smile. :)

So here go my wishes (in any order):

1.) Would like to see everybody skate their best, as the best competitions are when everybody skates their best and you win!
2.) I hope the winner skates clean first & foremost, NO FALLS, with the highest difficulty possible, including a quad for the men and a 3/3 from the women, and a 3axel from Mao Asada, since she's the only woman that can do so.
3.) no injuries or withdrawals, Please God, no injuries or withdrawals.

:party2:GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WORLDS!!!!:party:

cooper

Medalist
Just wondering, do you know something that the rest of the world (including Yuna) doesn't??

Because Yuna herself has confirmed countless times now that she will definitely compete, and has been training very hard for it.

Unless you can explain your "assumption", I am thinking you are either living in a cave or are in complete denial :p

To see is to believe...I guess. LOL. But if she doesn't show up, Samsung is going to kill her. LOL.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Gold: Yu Na Kim
WHY: “Arirang.” When I heard she was doing it, some kind soul posted a link to the New York Philharmonic performing it in North Korea. The music is just glorious. I want to see her do it justice. I adore her.
WHAT NEXT YEAR: To keep skating

Silver: Alissa Czisny
WHY: Because at the beginning of the season, I said she’d win Nationals and have her Wylie moment at Worlds. To make it complete, that means silver. Because her long program is the masterpiece of the season. Because I think IF an American woman wins a medal in figure skating, people might talk it up again.
WHAT NEXT YEAR: Something a little harder/more edge (musically).

Bronze: Mao Asada
WHY: She’s got this iron will that doesn’t let her give up. She’s had two terrible GP seasons in a row, but found the inner fire to kick it up a notch. I think the sport needs that. She doesn’t have a bronze medal. She needs one to complete her collection.
WHAT NEXT YEAR: Just continue what she’s doing.

Fourth: Miki Ando
WHY: Because realistically she won’t be any lower. Because I feel churlish for not liking her more (I actually want her a little lower) – it’s not like she’s done anything to me. Even if I wish it was Akiko instead.
WHAT NEXT YEAR: I would love to sit down and actually talk to her. She seems like such a nice person and I’ve grown to really enjoy her gala presentations. And I think she does feel the music. I just don’t think she really expresses it well. I’d love love love it if she got a program from David Wilson. Her “Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence” SP from a few seasons back was stunning.

Fifth: Kiira Korpi
WHY: Because she’s got a pretty terrific 1-2 punch of programs. Because a top five at Worlds would suggest she (somewhat) held it together.
WHAT NEXT YEAR: The holding it together? Continue

Sixth: Rachel Flatt
WHY: Because if she and Czisny get back the three spots, people will finally stop kvetching about getting back three spots. Because I actually like a good portion of East of Eden. Because if she does get the third spot back, a lot of people will have to eat humble pie.
WHAT NEXT YEAR: Whatever she wants. If she keeps skating, work on her positions.

Seventh: Kanako Murakami
WHY: I think she’s been overscored, but the fearless joy she evinces really is enjoyable. Too much lower implies that she skated poorly. Even if I wish it was Akiko instead
WHAT NEXT YEAR: Better programs. I know, she’s young, but you know what? Kim debuted with Le Tango de Roxanne and Lark Ascending as her senior programs. Her short emphasizes her youth in the wrong ways.

Eighth: Laura Lepisto
WHY: Because Finland with three spots would be absolutely hilarious. Because I was looking forward to seeing her this year and seeing her only once and doing poorly would be disappointing.
WHAT NEXT YEAR: Let’s see her at worlds before talking about it

Ninth: Cynthia Phaneuf
WHY: Because it’ll guarantee Canada two spots. To be honest, I don’t have that much affection for her beyond her nationality, so if she doesn’t do well, I probably won’t shed much tears.
WHAT NEXT YEAR: Something a little more powerful. Go for a 3-3 combination.

Tenth: Carolina Kostner
WHY: It seems weird to me that she’s experiencing so much success this season when she’s a former shadow of herself. I love COP but it does seem a little extreme to, on one end, have Patrick Chan winning a competition with four falls because of his very high base-value elements but to have Kostner, doing the simple stuff well and really racking up the points.
WHAT NEXT YEAR: The hard jumps. The dangerous speed. The adult musicality. Consistency. In one deadly package. This year I became a Czisny uber. Come August 2011, it’s your turn.

Also

• A final flight with no falls
  • Samson skating as good as she did at Nationals
  • Lee, LaFuente, Meite, Hecken and Vannut to have skates they’re proud of.
  • For Leonova and Marakova to demonstrate that they aren’t to be left behind when the RBB comes of age.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Okay here's my order. And I'll copy IP's format. And I'm just going to have fun with it.

GOLD Alissa Czisny
WHY: Because it would be a big **** you to all those folks calling her to retire last season. I know that IP had her in silver, but it would just be something if she won. And it would make it easy for Rachael to get back the three spots.

SILVER Mao Asada
WHY: Because she's a hard worker and I think she will lay it down, just like she did in 2010 Worlds, minus the URs.

BRONZE Yuna Kim
WHY: Because it's hard to say what not competing all year long will affect her. It might not. But that Airang program may be epic.

4.) Miki Ando
WHY: I actually wouldn't mind if she wins, for the same **** you she can give to some of her critics. (Though they will continue to blame her for the demise of skating). That said, I already gave that spot to Alissa and I have reasons for putting Mao and Yuna above her, so hence she's in fourth.

5.) Rachael Flatt
WHY: Judges like her EOE program. I want her to also give a big **** you to Aunt Joyce and all his crew by doing a 2A-3L and a 3F-3T. (Reach AJ's 4CC reflections for a point of reference.) Plus this would match her best placement from 2009.

6.) Kanako Murakami
WHY: I agree with IP that while she has great joy in her programs, that doesn't necessarily translate into artistry. That said, she does have a nice solid 3T-3T that gets good GOE.

7.) Kiira Korpi
WHY: Because she has beautiful programs this year and seems more consistent technically. She just needs to nail that Lutz

8.) Carolina Kostner
WHY: Because somehow she's the only one who manages to make the GPF, get a silver medal at that event and get a silver medal with simple tech content. If she's clean I expect her to be higher, but part me hopes that she will actually get the points suitable for the content she delivers.

9.) Laura Lepisto
WHY: Well I didn't realize she would be coming back. Ironically, she will have to skate the QR though it was her teammate that put her in that position in the first place. Anyway, judges love her and it would be nice of her not to go too far down the standings.

10.) Cynthia Phaneuf.
WHY: Despite a less-than-ideal performance at 4CC, she did fight for it, unlike her two teammates. She also showed last year that she can deliver if she's clean.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I mostly agree with what Pogue said. This would be my hope for placements, if everyone's programs at Worlds are skated basically the best the skater can be expected to deliver:

01. Yu-Na Kim ---> "But, Blades, if your judgement includes the quality of the programs, how can you say Yu-Na should be #1 when she hasn't shown her programs yet this season?". Because, I HAVE seen her programs. Tee hee, aren't you jealous? :biggrin: She will have the overall best combination of technical content and artistry if she skates her best.

02. Alissa Czisny ---> The best Long Program of the season, has really improved her jumping, and excels in the non-jump technical areas.

03. Mao Asada ---> Such a shame she changed her Long Program; it's no longer special. If she skated the pre-Four Continents version of the program with all of the planned technical content, then I'd say she deserves GOLD. Unfortunately, Bronze is all I would give her now. She doesn't have a good Short Program this season, so that doesn't help her either. Still, she is technically the best female in the World if she delivers. There are NO weaknesses with regards to her footwork/spins/spirals and she is of course a phenomenal jumper at her best. Her basic skating is excellent as well.

04. Kanako Murakami ---> Her programs are delightful and have been rather underestimated. Technically she is up there as well.

05. Kiira Korpi ----> How lovely to see her trying hard to be the best she possibly can be this season. Her programs, while not masterpieces in their current forms, certainly have charm. Her tech content is solid.

06. Rachael Flatt ---> A good SP and her LP has improved from horrible to serviceable. If she does her best, she will have more technical content than Kostner (with nearly equal presentation overall) and about equal technical content to Ando (with better presentation).

07. Carolina Kostner ---> Upping the technical content at Europeans was good to see. If she skates her best the tech content will now be competitive enough such that great programs/performances would deserve to hold her to a high standing...but I actually don't think her programs are GREAT. So, 7th.

08. Miki Ando ---> Extremely overrated. I don't like her programs. Her spins are average. Her jumping is great quality but with relatively CONSERVATIVE layouts given her talent.

09. Alena Leonova ---> She has spunk and would certainly deserve a top 10 placement if she delivers.

10. Cynthia Phaneuf ---> Needs more technical content and more personality in her skating. Still, she is better than the rest of the contenders from this point that we'll see at Worlds.

cooper

Medalist
I mostly agree with what Pogue said. This would be my hope for placements, if everyone's programs at Worlds are skated basically the best the skater can be expected to deliver:

01. Yu-Na Kim ---> "But, Blades, if your judgement includes the quality of the programs, how can you say Yu-Na should be #1 when she hasn't shown her programs yet this season?". Because, I HAVE seen her programs. Tee hee, aren't you jealous? :biggrin: She will have the overall best combination of technical content and artistry if she skates her best.

Care to share? :laugh: I'm more curious about her SP, Giselle program because the music is ballet and Yuna is not known for her balletic style.

Anyway, what do you want to see at Worlds ...Ladies?

Just overall good skating. That's all. :biggrin:

miki88

Medalist
Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind if Alissa manages to pull of a win. It'll be a wonderful movie-style ending to her miraculous comeback season. Also, I think it'll be exciting to have new world champion for a change.

parma

On the Ice
Care to share? :laugh: I'm more curious about her SP, Giselle program because the music is ballet and Yuna is not known for her balletic style.

Anyway, what do you want to see at Worlds ...Ladies?

Just overall good skating. That's all. :biggrin:

Huh? What you mean she is not known for balletic style?? Yuna is known as one of the most balletic skaters in the sport's history. Geez.

parma

On the Ice

02. Alissa Czisny ---> The best Long Program of the season, has really improved her jumping, and excels in the non-jump technical areas.

03. Mao Asada ---> Such a shame she changed her Long Program; it's no longer special. If she skated the pre-Four Continents version of the program with all of the planned technical content, then I'd say she deserves GOLD. Unfortunately, Bronze is all I would give her now. She doesn't have a good Short Program this season, so that doesn't help her either. Still, she is technically the best female in the World if she delivers. There are NO weaknesses with regards to her footwork/spins/spirals and she is of course a phenomenal jumper at her best. Her basic skating is excellent as well.

04. Kanako Murakami ---> Her programs are delightful and have been rather underestimated. Technically she is up there as well.

05. Kiira Korpi ----> How lovely to see her trying hard to be the best she possibly can be this season. Her programs, while not masterpieces in their current forms, certainly have charm. Her tech content is solid.

06. Rachael Flatt ---> A good SP and her LP has improved from horrible to serviceable. If she does her best, she will have more technical content than Kostner (with nearly equal presentation overall) and about equal technical content to Ando (with better presentation).

07. Carolina Kostner ---> Upping the technical content at Europeans was good to see. If she skates her best the tech content will now be competitive enough such that great programs/performances would deserve to hold her to a high standing...but I actually don't think her programs are GREAT. So, 7th.

08. Miki Ando ---> Extremely overrated. I don't like her programs. Her spins are average. Her jumping is great quality but with relatively CONSERVATIVE layouts given her talent.

09. Alena Leonova ---> She has spunk and would certainly deserve a top 10 placement if she delivers.

10. Cynthia Phaneuf ---> Needs more technical content and more personality in her skating. Still, she is better than the rest of the contenders from this point that we'll see at Worlds.

Read my mind.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I don't know whether she struggles with it? Does she actually care about it at all? Has she ever said?

Turnout would be hard to aquire at this point, but I bet we'll see Yu Na pointing her toes as Giselle. She seems absolutely typecast for that program, IMO. Can't wait to see it. Can't believe we have another month of these threads....

ibauer

Rinkside
I don't know whether she struggles with it? Does she actually care about it at all? Has she ever said?

Someone quoted Orser as saying that he tried to get her to point her toes, but she doesn't like to. I wish I could remember where I read that, but I can't. For some reason I can believe it, though. If you can win consistently medals and post high scores without toe-point, why do it if you don't like to?

Robeye

Final Flight

If there are any further impressions or comments you feel you could share, BOP, I'd be very grateful :).

Layfan

Record Breaker

You HAVE????? Yes, I am insanely jealous. No fair. :) No, actually, great to hear that you like her programs so far. I can't wait. She's such a wild card in this competition.

Alissa's LP is my favorite of the season, too. But I haven't seen Yuna yet.

Huh? What you mean she is not known for balletic style?? Yuna is known as one of the most balletic skaters in the sport's history. Geez.

No, she's not. She'll never be balletic as long as her turnout and toe point are non-existent. Spun is right: turnout might be out of her reach right now - at least a vast improvement. It's something you have to work on from the beginning.

Yuna makes up for it with her speed and musicality and in spite of the bad turnout she's very graceful. Pointing her toes would give her just that extra tiny bit of polish. But she's wonderful without it... I'm curious about Giselle, too. But I think she'll pull it off.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
If there are any further impressions or comments you feel you could share, BOP, I'd be very grateful :).

Saying much more would be disrespectful. Yu-Na has chosen to unveil her programs at Worlds and skaters/coaches from the rink should not be talking about details just because they've seen it. I'm very happy that Yu-Na has chosen to train here in LA, though. :biggrin:

miki88

Medalist
Yuna makes up for it with her speed and musicality and in spite of the bad turnout she's very graceful. Pointing her toes would give her just that extra tiny bit of polish. But she's wonderful without it... I'm curious about Giselle, too. But I think she'll pull it off.

I'm curious as well! I always loved Katia's verison of Giselle. She was perfect for the part. I don't think one has to necessarily be balletic to pull it off. Yukari did a wonderful job with Giselle and she isn't really known for her positions/extensions. The elminiation of the spiral also helps her in one sense.