What do you want to see at Worlds ...Ladies | Page 17 | Golden Skate

What do you want to see at Worlds ...Ladies

prettykeys

Medalist
If an Olympic Champion is not ready to include the Triple Loop jump, 2 years after she last fell on it in a competition, then she deserves to be penalized for not having a full repertoire of Triples as she had more than plenty enough time to correct whatever issues she may have.
Joannie Rochette is the only one of the top 5 ladies in recent memory who successfully and cleanly did a full repertoire of ladies' standard triples. But you know what, you are right, YuNa Kim should be penalized because she is Olympic Champion and likes to do 3-3's. :rolleye: (The emoticon means I am being sarcastic. Just in case you didn't understand. Like my satirical comment about the "popped 3A" --> 2A, which never was a real suggestion but rather a jab at the inconsistency of the IJS.)

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Must... resist... getting.. drawn... into... past...

::resistance crumbles::

Newsflash: None, zero, zilch of the Olympic ladies champions ever landed all 5 triples cleanly in their Olympics FS. With Katarina Witt and before ladies weren't even doing all 5 triples. Kristi Yamaguchi couldn't salchow (may have been a flutzer too). Baiul had all sorts of little mistakes in her FS. Lipinski flutzed, Hughes, too. Shizuka Arakawa is a lipper. In fact, Yu Na Kim is the first ladies skater to win the Olympics with totally clean jumps in the FS in the era of triples (no edge errors no under rotations no two footed landings no nothing).

Also whoever said Shizuka Arakawa is an unmemorable Olympics champion? That is so wrong I don't even know where to begin. To people outside Japan, yes her win wasn't that special because she did just enough to win (what people missed is that she psyched out the competition with 3/3s and 3/3/3s in practices until they were wrecks and made mistakes in the competition). But in Japan, Shizuka Arakawa's Olympic victory is the most significant event in the history of figure skating there. Up until that point in the Turin Olympics, Japan had failed to win even a single medal. Japanese media blasted that news nonstop and people were gnashing their teeth and bashing their heads on walls in despair. Then what happens? In one of the last days of the competition, Arakawa sweeps in and wins the gold medal in the most watched and prestigious event of the Olympics, turning the entire Olympics around for Japan. Shizuka became the biggest celebrity and hero in Japan that year. Anything she skated to became hits. The term "ina bauer" was one of the most used phrases that year. The current and ongoing boom in figure skating in Japan was started by Shizuka's Olympics win.

To put it into perspective, Shizuka's Olympics win was, in terms of what it did for skating's popularity in a country, equivalent to the Tonya/Nancy knee whack in the US. Take a country where skating is already popular, but not overwhelmingly so (the US already had skating stars in Boitano and Yamaguchi at that time, and Japan was fascinated with Mao Asada's potential in 2006). Then throw in a huge skating related headline that dominates the media. Then have talented and media-friendly skaters carry the torch after the event to keep interest alive in the sport (the US had Kwan, Lipinski, Cohen after The Whack. Japan has Mao, Daisuke, Miki and more). And suddenly figure skating becomes a newly opened gold mine in that country. Of course, unlike the Knee Whack, Shizuka's win is an entirely positive event which works even better.

But what Shizuka's win did is important outside Japan too. Japan is now the #1 destination for top skaters go tour and make money. It's pumping millions and millions into the sport and funding skaters from all over the world. It's keeping the sport alive while its popularity has tanked in the US. Skating's mainstream popularity in Japan also eggs on the Mao/Yuna rivalry in South Korea, which helps keep the sport in the headlines in Korea too.

Now part of all this is that Shizuka was in the right place at the right time (and then delivered). In Turin it could've been any Japanese lady who won unexpectedly. If some other Japanese competitor at those Olympics made it onto the podium before, Shizuka's win would not have been as huge an event. But it happened the way it did. And as a result Shizuka Arakawa's Olympic win is the most influential event in figure skating since the Salt Lake City pairs controversy.

wallylutz

Medalist
Joannie Rochette is the only one of the top 5 ladies in recent memory who successfully and cleanly did a full repertoire of ladies' standard triples. But you know what, you are right, YuNa Kim should be penalized because she is Olympic Champion and likes to do 3-3's. :rolleye: (The emoticon means I am being sarcastic. Just in case you didn't understand. Like my satirical comment about the "popped 3A" --> 2A, which never was a real suggestion but rather a jab at the inconsistency of the IJS.)

The so called 3/3 penalty is debunked here:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?33987-Triple-Triple-penalty-under-CoP/page2

Krislite's mathematical proposition has been demonstrated as incorrect, even in the context of ladies skating. The whole penalty for 3/3 thing is an interesting proposition that doesn't seem to hold in reality - in other words, the so called penalty:

1) Can be avoided, and not with great difficulty
2) Everything else being equal, is so tiny (0.2 point up to 0.6 point maximum) in theory that would likely to be mitigated by the fact an impressive 3/3 is more likely to impress the judges emotionally for higher GOE than a bland 3/2
3) 3/3 provide a number of advantages that has been shown quantitatively that more than compensates for the tiny theoretical disadvantage that stems from the GOE potential.

That's why team Yu-Na doesn't plan to change her jumps layout, there is no point.

cooper

Medalist
Well, the Worlds 2011 is in limbo, Blades can you tell us about Yuna's programs in details now? :laugh: Besides we don't know if she's going to compete.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
continuing on the subject, now that LaCoste is in, I want to see her land a fully rotated 3Lo-3Lo combo. That would be awesome.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I'd love to see Korea get 3 spots for next year. I know it's probably a stretch, but assuming Yuna medals I do think there is some chance MinJung could finish somewhere from 10th-12th if she skates well, and that would mean 3 spots. I'm not really expecting much but MinJung has been jumping/skating a lot better at her recent competitions and put up some pretty solid scores which could correlate to a top 10-12 finish at Worlds depending on how others do.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
With Worlds not even in Japan anymore I think Yu Na Kim would need a disaester to not win gold. The idea of Miki Ando beating even a semi clean Kim in Europe is....well laughable to be honest, and Asada hasnt even been able to beat Ando in recent competitions (though I think she has a better chance too on netural ground). I think the 2nd Korean girl is good enough to come 12th if she has a really good competition which is all she will need.

I want to see:

Laura Lepisto because she is the best blade-to-ice skater of today. Her stroking is amazing. BUT she's apparently out of the competition for injuries.

Yuna Kim because I haven't seen her under the spell of Los Angeles.

Mao Asad to confirm that what she did at 4CC she can do all the time. Heavenly

Caroline Kostner because it has been a while since the GPs where she showed incredible talent and performance.

The rest of the Field is pretty much what I have been seeing. I do not expect anything extraordinary for them.

Lightspear

Rinkside
I am hoping that Allissa Czisny performs to best capabilities in this competition. When she is on, she is the epitome of style and grace that befits the sport from an artistic standpoint. While I do not expect to see a triple axle triple toe from her, she does make the ladies competition very enjoyable to watch.

jatale

On the Ice
When will we start getting reports on how the skaters are looking from their practice sessions in Russia? Who is admitted to the practice sessions? Do the judges sit and watch the practice sessions or are they confined to watching the competitions only? What about the press?

hernehill

Spectator
I got to Moscow today but they are not letting fans in to watch practices unfortunately. We tried but only accredited media are allowed in. Kind of disappointing but I saw Miki Ando, Nikolai Morozov and Elene Gedevanishvili checking into the hotel:) Miki and Elene looked gorgeous. Can't wait for the skating to start!!

I got to Moscow today but they are not letting fans in to watch practices unfortunately. We tried but only accredited media are allowed in. Kind of disappointing but I saw Miki Ando, Nikolai Morozov and Elene Gedevanishvili checking into the hotel:) Miki and Elene looked gorgeous. Can't wait for the skating to start!!

Thanks for the post. I hope you will have time for reports to Golden Skate throughout the week! :rock:

treeloving

Medalist
Ohhhhhhh! I'm so excite for Miki, I will give all my heart for her in this competition, as I'm afraid this might be a last chance to root for her. Please skate clean! Your skate at 4CC was a truly moving performance.

What I want to see in this world is that Miki skate with more speed and transition during the five jumping pass. That is the performance I'm looking for.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
what would I like to see? No fan wars. Too late for that, though. :no: :sheesh:

Krislite

Medalist
what would I like to see? No fan wars. Too late for that, though. :no: :sheesh:

What? What's figure skating without fan wars? Such a thing is a logical impossibility. :p

Get ready for all the wuzrobbed threads right after the competition.

Krislite

Medalist
the fans wars is the fun part i thought

Just imagine how fun it will be around here when Chan falls and wins. :laugh:

The only thing that might top that is when Carolina Kostner falls and wins. She explicitly stated that the 3Flip will be her most difficult jump. If she wins with that kind of program over Mao, Yuna or Miki it'll be quite something. ;)