What do you want to see at Worlds ...Ladies | Page 5 | Golden Skate

What do you want to see at Worlds ...Ladies

miki88

Medalist
I don't understand what Mao has done to her jumps after all those suffering...
1. Her 3Axel was better at the Olympic in Vancouver.
2. She still FLUTZs.
3. Her Flip is still same.
4. NO IMPROVEMENT AT ALL.

Why bothered to change?

Seriously? This was one of the best 3A's she has ever done since 2008. In terms of technique, her flip has definitely improved. She just needs more height.

cooper

Medalist
I was providing my assessment of how the skaters should place, given their programs and realistic tech content at best and other qualities, so it would be disingenuous to say I feel Yu-Na would deserve to place 1st if I didn't mention that I've seen the programs.

Laura Lepisto is not on the list because, while she would probably be top 10 material if she has regained her form, I haven't seen her programs to know for sure.

This would be fine to answer, except I don't know the acts of Giselle. It sounded more like Miki Ando's Giselle than Yukari Nakano's Giselle, if that helps? Or at least, the program seemed to be more about the quicker tempos than the slower (in her LP it's the other way around).

It's not actually my primary rink but I've been to some closed sessions.

Blades, any more tidbits? :biggrin:

Anyway, updates/news on Laura? I hope she's healthy and ready to compete.

Last edited:

jatale

On the Ice
I don't understand what Mao has done to her jumps after all those suffering...
1. Her 3Axel was better at the Olympic in Vancouver.
2. She still FLUTZs.
3. Her Flip is still same.
4. NO IMPROVEMENT AT ALL.

Why bothered to change?

I gather Mao is trying to improve her speed, see this:

http://www.asahi.com/english/TKY201102030440.html

From the video of last month's 4CC, I didn't really notice any speed increase with Mao, she still appeared to skate slower than Miki (let alone Yu-Na).

Last edited:

miki88

Medalist
I gather Mao is trying to improve her speed, see this:

http://www.asahi.com/english/TKY201102030440.html

From the video of last month's 4CC, I didn't really notice any speed increase with Mao, she still appeared to skate slower than Miki (let alone Yu-Na).

Speed is rather hard to change in a short period, especially when the skater is also making changes to technique. Sato says that even if there are changes, it will be in small percentages so hardly noticeable in real time. But what is apparent (at least to me) is that she has much better flow than she did last year in her LP.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I'd like to see, amongst many other things, at the Worlds...;

• (yet another) perfect performance by Miki
  • epitome of beauty in Carolina and Alissa
  • exquisite Mao
  • sublime Yu-Na
  • Alena's smile at K&C
  • Jenna's lutz
  • Kanako's smile from the beginning to the end, in abundance
  • Rachel pumping fists with joy
  • Kiira skating her free programme clean
  • Elene nailing all jumps
  • Laura skate, full stop...

and I want...

• All the girls to go home happy and ready to tackle next season;
  • All the women to go home satisfied and motivated for another season;
  • All the ladies to let themselves go a bit after the competition finishes, and really enjoy wonderful Japanese food (and sweets!) till their heart's content. :)

You don't hope for much, do you? :biggrin:

Wouldn't it be an amazing competition if it played out that way.

This would be fine to answer, except I don't know the acts of Giselle. It sounded more like Miki Ando's Giselle than Yukari Nakano's Giselle, if that helps? Or at least, the program seemed to be more about the quicker tempos than the slower (in her LP it's the other way around).
Well, most if not all Miki's Giselle program is from Act 1, esp. the mad scene. Maybe the best clues are the costume (white dress for act 2 which is what I'm hoping for, peasant dress for act 1) and whether or not there are some gestures indicating madness (like Miki's pointless occasional head clutching). Oh yeah, and flower-plucking is act 1 too. Giselle's theme for act 2 is love beyond death and supplication for mercy. Not sure how that translates into skating! There are some quick tempos in Giselle's act 2 music - the jumps and speed are meant to show her transcendence of finitude - so you can't necessarily go by that. Both Yukari and Miki had act 1 costumes.

Last edited:

ankka

Rinkside
Anyway, updates/news on Laura? I hope she's healthy and ready to compete.

Laura has confirmed today that she will compete. Her coach told that she has her triples back but still needs a lot of work before the Worlds. Anyway, great to have her skate :)

Ravensque

On the Ice
I'd like to see Cynthia put down 2 awsome programs and let the chips fall where they may.
Mao for the win, and Yuna 2nd.......then maybe they will both retire (they are both great skaters). Perhaps Miki and his Oilyness will marry and she'll retire too........Time for some new blood. I also hope Rachel Flatt does well.

Cynthia is 2 months younger than Miki - should she retire too?

ETA: Oops, make that 1 month.

I really hate calls for people to retire to make way for the next gen. These are young (n.b.) people who've spent their whole lives and fortunes pursuing this thankless and body-killing sport. Let them decide for themselves when to go, and let the new kids earn their spots.

Last edited:

Ravensque

On the Ice
Cynthia is 2 months younger than Miki - should she retire too?

ETA: Oops, make that 1 month.

I really hate calls for people to retire to make way for the next gen. These are young (n.b.) people who've spent their whole lives and fortunes pursuing this thankless and body-killing sport. Let them decide for themselves when to go, and let the new kids earn their spots.

All tongue in cheek ;).........Cynthia probably should retire too, but she hasn't won anything yet. I'd like to see her medal, then retire :D

NMURA

Medalist
European ladies have no chance this time. It's not Torino, or Sweden, you know? Ice may be slippery, but the Europeans are the first to slip. As same as four years ago, Ando and Asada will finish 1-2. Ando can retire with honor. The bronze goes to one of Flatt, Kim, Murakami. I hope the US ladies get back three spots. It ALL depends on Czisny.

European ladies have no chance this time. It's not Torino, or Sweden, you know? Ice may be slippery, but the Europeans are the first to slip. As same as four years ago, Ando and Asada will finish 1-2. Ando can retire with honor. The bronze goes to one of Flatt, Kim, Murakami. I hope the US ladies get back three spots. It ALL depends on Czisny.
I hope Laura Lepisto will prove you wrong about European ladies, but it may be hard for her to skate to her potential in March.

I would like to see another Asian Domination at world.
I don't like that way of thinking about it, but Asada-Kim-Ando would be just fine with me (in any order as long as judging is good) and Murakami too, if one of the above falters. But I wish Nagasu were going to be there.

Last edited:

wonderlen3000

Final Flight

LOL that's a little harsh...but sooo true...

R.D.

Record Breaker
One never really knows. Who thought Nagasu would have a meltdown in the FS after doing so well at Nats, Olys?

Then Czisny, with a history of peaking early and doing badly at worlds...history would indicate that she'd skate at best how she did at 4CCs, likely worse. This is one case where I hope history makes the wrong prediction.

sorcerer

Final Flight
mot's post pretty much speaks my mind, but I would like to add that :
I'd LOVE to see Miki win this!! and yet at the same time see some portion of GS/FSU posters keep complaining about it. In other words I, as a big Miki fan, don't want her to bring the utmost "skate of her life" in this game. That's for some other time to come true. My joy is Miki improving each year, and hopefully it will be so till Sochi.

I'd like to see, amongst many other things, at the Worlds...;

• (yet another) perfect performance by Miki
  • epitome of beauty in Carolina and Alissa
  • exquisite Mao
  • sublime Yu-Na
  • Alena's smile at K&C
  • Jenna's lutz
  • Kanako's smile from the beginning to the end, in abundance
  • Rachel pumping fists with joy
  • Kiira skating her free programme clean
  • Elene nailing all jumps
  • Laura skate, full stop...

• All the girls to go home happy and ready to tackle next season;
  • All the women to go home satisfied and motivated for another season;
  • All the ladies to let themselves go a bit after the competition finishes, and really enjoy wonderful Japanese food (and sweets!) till their heart's content. :)

and I add lastly, no injuries while the game is on!!

Last edited:

pohatta

On the Ice
Laura has confirmed today that she will compete. Her coach told that she has her triples back but still needs a lot of work before the Worlds. Anyway, great to have her skate :)

Sounds to me that the expectations aren't too high, as her coach pointed out that it's important to attend a competition before the season is over.

Kiira Korpi has been the top Finn in three Europeans, but she has never been the top Finn in Worlds. I wonder if Laura has it in her to beat Kiira.