What do you want to see at Worlds for the Men? | Page 12 | Golden Skate

What do you want to see at Worlds for the Men?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Verner and Oda going for 4-3 in SP? Great! What about Reynolds and Joubert? Of Bradley?
I expect some favorites doing great but some upsets would be nice too!!!!

I assume Reynolds, Joubert, and Bradley will all go for the quad in the SP as they have all season. Kevin may be better off just sticking to one quad though, IMO, 4s-3t and then a 3lz, or if his 4t is more solid than his 3a, then do 4s-3t, 2a, 4t.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Oda landed the best quad combo of the season in his SP and has been doing it in practice in Moscow.

Yes, it was absolutely GORGEOUS. I still can't believe a guy with his kind of talent can bomb like he did last Worlds. I totally forgot about his major meltdown until I saw Taka in the QR.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I've heard that Joubert told the media that he is not feeling well/not in good condition. I'm nervous for him.

Neda

Rinkside
Yes, he said he is exhausted because of long season and he feels pain in legs and hip. But I'm sure he will do his best. I wish him to be full of energy tomorrow.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
I really hope that Chan can win this thing. If he skates as well as he did at the final, which wasn't perfect, but was pretty good, I think he'll have a real shot at it. If he skates the way that he did at Nationals, I don't think that anyone can touch him. A clean Chan with 2 quads and a 3 axel in the long would be really hard to beat. I think if its not him, it'll be Takahashi. I think eitheir of the two would be deserving champions. No one else has seemed to come up to their level this season.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I think if its not him, it'll be Takahashi. I think eitheir of the two would be deserving champions. No one else has seemed to come up to their level this season.

Takahashi is riding on his reputation. Despite popular opinions, including that of Joubert, he is nowhere near being the best skater of this season. More like 4th, after Chan, Oda, and Kozuka. He can't be written out and is a favorite for good reasons. After the poor showing at GPF and Nationals SP, likely affected by his crash with Kozuka at GPF, he has recovered quite well, so momentum is on his side now. That and his history of peaking at end of season puts him in contention for gold, not his season's showings.

That said, neither can Oda and Kozuka be written off. They have been stellar this season.

Takahashi's strength is his PCS and competitiness. Technically, he has the weakest content and performances of the four contenders. The other three all have better quads whereas Takahashi fails every quad except for one. He has not had a clean comp yet this season. He needs some help to win that gold.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
^^ I agree with this and was surprised when Brian said Daisuke had been the best skater this season. BTW, he was being such a brooding Frenchmen in that video it made me laugh :laugh:. I'd say Kozuka, and Chan if we look at his season starting with the GPF, have been the best this season. Oda and Amodio deserve honorable mention.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Amodio has done well only against the Europeans. He crumbled when up against the top dogs who eat with chopsticks. :laugh:

Oda is extremely strong technically. Just always almost there, so near yet so far. It wouldn't take much to get him over what blocks him. However, mental blocks are either insurmountable or instantly demonished.

Boitano has helped Chan because he instinctively knew what Chan's problem was - he had fear of failing and disappointing people who believed in him. Only they understand the kind of pressure that comes with a nation's expectation and that was why Chan sought out Boitano for mental mentorship.

Getting over a mental block can get a skater or anybody instantly to a higher level. But it's easier said than done.

mot

On the Ice
I found this youtube video and thought some of you might enjoy it (especially those who believe it all comes down to the quad.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSlnFu8iRqg&feature=related

I'm not going to give word by word translation, but this is the gist of what's been talked about.

-----

Takeshi Honda's analysis of the quad; Kozuka, Oda & Takahashi

First, the narrator states the importance of the quad in men's skating, mentioning Chan's case (not having attempting any at all last season, but joining 'the quad war' this season by incorporating the total of 3 quads in SP & LP).

Then he describes why more quad attempts have been made this season by explaining how much the BV of quad jumps was raised and a new 70% rule introduced for UR.

He uses Takahashi's failed 4T attempt at Vancouver to describe what this could mean in practice.

Honda reckons the most important aspect of successful quad attempt is in rhythm. One has to rotate upon the toe pick hitting the ice. Because each skater has different kind of toe pick, they all have to find their own rhythm.

Kozuka's comment on the quad:

He describes different feeling he has towards the quad; when attempting the triple, he feels ascending then descending, but attempting the quad, he feels first ascending and then ascending once more before coming back down. (watch his hand movement if my description is not clear enough for you!)

Honda's analysis:
Kozuka uses the speed of going into the quad well. Smooth entry to the jump, without killing the speed is the key.

Oda's comment on the quad:

He reckons it is the most important ammunition he has for getting points.

Honda's analysis:

Oda's soft knee helps him to jump higher than others. The key is to jump high using soft knee and keep the axis of rotation stable.

Takahashi's comment on the quad:

He reckons landing the quad constantly in practice means landing all other jumps constantly and thus gives him confidence.

Honda's analysis: - this is interesting as Honda is Takahashi's jump coach.
Takahashi's increased body suppleness as a result of the surgery and subsequent rehab, created the problem for him. The time gap from bending down on his right leg till the left toe pick hitting the ice has become longer than before the injury. (showing comparison between his quad take off in 2007/08 season and this one.) He needs to find the new rhythm using his different body.

Honda reckons more men attempt the quad this season as the first year of the Olympic cycle is psychologically easiest to do so.

Finally, the skaters' comments:
Kozuka: I have a very clear feeling of successful quad with me.
Oda: I am including the quad in both short and free programmes.
Takahashi: I think the quad is a must in men's figure skating now.

Last edited:
It's the hottest competition in the whole of the Championships. I'm putting 10 bucks on Nobunari who has the softest jump and fully flow out landings. He also has rhythm and timing.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I know Takahashi's problems with his quads stem from the surgery, which makes it a physical problem almost impossible to overcome. But he has been stubborn to include it in his LP, determined to do it like before the surgery. He does 4F, UR and 2 footing it, because 4T is painful or darn near impossible these days. However, his one successful quad this season was a 4T. :think:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I don't think Dai has to ride on his reputation to win Worlds. Just because he has not been the best this
season does not change my opinion that he is the best skater. Will he win worlds at his best maybe not, but I
prefer to wait and see what happens on the ice before I anoint a winner.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
It's the hottest competition in the whole of the Championships. I'm putting 10 bucks on Nobunari who has the softest jump and fully flow out landings. He also has rhythm and timing.

Oda does have beautiful jumps. I would not be surprised if he scores very high in the short program. Maybe this is Oda's year to shine.

mot

On the Ice
I have been watching men's competition for a long time and I have given up on predicting anything, especially after the era dominated by Yags and Plushy. I am afraid I'm going to generalise and any men or women can disagree with me, but men are far more emotional than women. Men's competition will thus all come down to the battle of psychology and mental strength.

So I am not going to put it all down to techniques and statistics, but on different inner demons all competitors have to fight against.

Patrick - Wii he be able to hold it together when almost everyone who knows anything about figure skating thinks the title is his to lose? He's never been in the situation.

Daisuke - He's spent all season looking for the reason to be motivated - at the end of the day, he won the Olympic Bronze and the World title last season, got what he wanted. He said his goal for the season was not about winning but perfecting the programmes, concentrating more on the artistry. He got his head knocked by his poor SP performance at the National and got his competitive spirit back. Was it too late? Always described as more of an artist than an athlete, his biggest problem has always been how to channel his emotions. (worked in 2007, didn't in 2008, worked again in 2010, and 2011?)

Takahiko - He did wonderfully in short at Torino, but faltered in free. Will he be able to hold it together this time?

Nobu - He has no good memory of competing at the Worlds since his debut in 2006. Will his fear of another failure affect him? Will he be able to trust himself and all he is capable of technically?

Brian & Tomas - I do not think they believe this is going to be the year for them. This might help them to be relaxed and less affected by pressures from inside and outside. Both of them are technically capable. Especially Tomas, he is the man with the most exquisite quad (I reckon) in the field, wonderful skating skills, excellent footwork, musicality, and boy he can dance!

Perhaps because I am a Daisuke fan, who was completely devastated in 2008; after his performance at the FCC, who thought he would end up off the podium? Brian thought the title was Daisuke's take and Jeff thought no one could beat Dai if he skated like he did at the FCC. And what happened? The field was filled with excellent quad jumpers, and who won the title? - quad-less, but utterly gorgeous in everything else, Jeff Buttle.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I don't think Dai has to ride on his reputation to win Worlds. Just because he has not been the best this
season does not change my opinion that he is the best skater. Will he win worlds at his best maybe not, but I
prefer to wait and see what happens on the ice before I anoint a winner.

I don't mean Takahashi needs to ride his reputation to win. I mean the perception and declaration of him being the best skater this season, so far, is by reputation rather than by fact. Of course, ultimately, who is the best skater this season is yet to be decided.

Oda has constistently won the SPs this season and will be no surprise to do it again at Worlds.

janetfan

Match Penalty

I am pulling for Nobu too. I hope for once he can be like Evan and bring his best under pressure and show two clean programs.

Hard to bet on anything run by ISU. It is so political and for all we know they have already decided on the podiums.

mot

On the Ice
If everyone skates clean, Daisuke and Tomas will get medals and flowers from me and Brian will get a hug and a peck on the cheek, and Nobu will get a big pat on the shoulder and year-supply of nappies. Not sure what the judges (and the ISU) will give them though. :)

ETA: And for everyone else, all the drinks are on me!

Last edited: