What do you want to see at Worlds for the Men? | Page 9 | Golden Skate

What do you want to see at Worlds for the Men?

I'd love to see Hanyu, but he's not entered. I'm happy to see Reynolds back in the game, I want to see the American newbees, and from Europe, Fernando, Gachinsky and Brezina. Also want to check out: vdPerren; Liebers, Contesti and Ten

How many of the above will make TOP TEN? The Field is the best ever, imo. Maybe we should go for TOP TWENTY.

Layfan

Record Breaker
^ Of the above, Brezina is my pick for likeliest to make top 10. You are right the field is incredibly deep and the top 10 will all be first rate. I just hope it doesn't turn out like the Olympics last year, where all the talk was about how deep the men were and then it turned out to be a rather not so great comp. Hopefully, the men's comp will be more like the women's comp at Vancouver last year, in the sense that we'll get one clean performance after another. On the other hand, we may see more splats because of the number of men attempting quads, which would be kind of okay from the perspective of seeing the competitors push themselves...

I really hope Patrick lands his gorgeous quads. And I hope Daisuke does too. Also hope Ryan lands his two quads and skates well regardless of placement. It will be interesting to see of Amodio attempts the quad as he has been saying.
I wish we didn't have to sit through not one but TWO Michael Jackson programs though. Sorry, but neither Amodio or Verner can move particularly well to that music, especially not Verner.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Tomas scored well in Russia earlier this season and even beat Patrick Chan! Hope this new venue will give him good vibes so he can kick butt and somehow manage to sneak up onto the podium :)

That was when Chan had a jump combo invalidated and Verner did an all triple program the layout of which was taken from Lysacek.

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
Brian Joubert on the podium, if not on the top step, that is all I want out of these world championships. He is the only skater I am rooting for.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Well, in my mind, he already has two bronze (2009, 2010), two silvers (2008, 2004) and one gold. So he should have another gold to go with that (2012). This year should be an outlier so we don't have an incomplete set, but rooting for anyone to come in fourth is like teasing.

herios

Medalist
Well, in my mind, he already has two bronze (2009, 2010), two silvers (2008, 2004) and one gold. So he should have another gold to go with that (2012). This year should be an outlier so we don't have an incomplete set, but rooting for anyone to come in fourth is like teasing.

IP, your math is incorrect. Brian has 6 medals in total, you forgot that he has another silver in 2006.

So he has 1G,3S and 2B. he won't be able to have full sets (3 of each I assume)

I'd love to see an 'old timer' who never one an Oly to win one. They deserve it for hanging in there. So GO JOUBERT, and Come Back Stephane L., Come Back to the Fold.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I'd love to see an 'old timer' who never one an Oly to win one. They deserve it for hanging in there. So GO JOUBERT, and Come Back Stephane L., Come Back to the Fold.

Just out of curiosity, has Stephane officially lost his eligible status yet?

I don't really see how anyone is going to challenge Patrick Chan this time around.

Ice is slippery, anything can happen, etc. But Chan will do three quads. Who else will? Ryan Bradley? Kevin Reynolds? Chan will do all level four everythings. He will get 9.0 in Skating Skills and 8.5 in Tranitions. (The only reason he won't get 9.0 in Transitions is that Transitions always run a half-point below Skating Skills.) No-one will out-point him on P/E, CH and INT --at least not enough to make up for the tech.

Takahashi is the only one who can match Chan in Program Components, and Takahashi will probably not land a quad.

(JMO of course.)

I don't really see how anyone is going to challenge Patrick Chan this time around.

Ice is slippery, anything can happen, etc. But Chan will do three quads. Who else will? Ryan Bradley? Kevin Reynolds? Chan will do all level four everythings. He will get 9.0 in Skating Skills and 8.5 in Tranitions. (The only reason he won't get 9.0 in Transitions is that Transitions always run a half-point below Skating Skills.) No-one will out-point him on P/E, CH and INT --at least not enough to make up for the tech.

Takahashi is the only one who can match Chan in Program Components, and Takahashi will probably not land a quad.

(JMO of course.)
Interesting thoughts, MM. Patrick and Dai are expected to fight it out in this Championship with 2 other Japanese skaters to join them as well as Joubert. But there are so many male skaters worth watching to make it the most collossal competition ever. Top 10? I think Top 20!

Just out of curiosity, has Stephane officially lost his eligible status yet?
I can't imagine him regaining his eligibility. His Federation does not have the pull as those in the Big Six.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Verner on the podium! It's ok if it's bronze, but at least the way he's been skating this season, I feel like him coming in 3rd at Worlds is within the realm of possibility. All three Japanese men can be hot and cold and IMO he's as good if not better than Joubert, and at Euros the scores those two put up were nearly identical anyway so who knows.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

(JMO of course.)

Whatever and however Patrick Chan does in all his competitions, past and future, the only one that matters in many people's minds will always be his Skate Canada 2010 win. Even if he wins in Sochi, SC 2010 will still be brought up in every thread in every skating forum to demonstrate his unworthiness and as demons of CoP. Except it won't be named or specified but will be discussed as generic representative of all his wins, minor and major. Just like it is now.

Seriously, Chan has one huge advantage in SP over everyone else. He does footwork into his 4T and 3F so he can tack the 3T onto either one of these jumps depending on how well he does his first jump, the 4T. Others with quads in their SP, like Joubert, Oda, and Reynolds, have to make their quads the combo jumps without footwork entries, so it will be hit or miss for them. Of course, Chan does not even need to do a 4/3; that's just for show off.

Verner has said he is going to do his quad at Worlds. He's been quite happy and doing well this season. Not sure how the delay affects him.

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I wouldn't mind that but I don't think he has a hope of beating Chan unless Chan falls 6 times.

Yeah that is about what it would take for Joubert to beat Chan. For one of the Japanese too it might be only 3 or 4 falls, if one of the Japanese can actually skate cleanly with quads.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yeah that is about what it would take for Joubert to beat Chan. For one of the Japanese too it might be only 3 or 4 falls, if one of the Japanese can actually skate cleanly with quads.

Quadless Verner beat Chan with 4 falls at Cup of Russia, and I know that was just because Chan Zayaked, but still, I think 6 falls is a little extreme, considering Verner and Joubert are pretty equal and Joubert AFAIK will be attempting a quad in both the SP and FS at Worlds. 3 falls from Chan would likely be enough for a clean Joubert to beat him. It might only take 1 or 2 falls from Chan for a clean/almost clean Takahashi or Kozuka to win, I mean, Takahashi is the reigning world champ and has been building momentum all season and Kozuka scored over 170 for his LP at TEB.