Whom Do You See on the Worlds Podium? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Whom Do You See on the Worlds Podium?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Chan had 4 falls in his competition at SC, but he still won it on the basis of Skating Ability. If one takes Skating Ability literally, isn't that sentence an oxymoron? How can a skater have much ability if he Falls 4 times?

Firstly, at SC, unlike most events, TES, not PCS, actually determined the ranking. Chan won by the highest TES in his LP. Skating Skills only account for less than 10% of the total scores.

Secondly, Skating Skills, not Skating Abilities, are concerned with blades moving on the ice, not jumping off it. Taking out the jumps, can anybody outside Dance outskate Chan? And, if Chan had the same jump content as the others, he wouldn't have any fall. Would you consider he had better Skating Skills then?

Bottom line, Skating Skills are not measured by jumps or falls.

^^^^
Agree. I would like to change the name of Skating Skills because it takes a lot of skill to execute the elements. Skating Skills should become Basic Skating.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But contextually, when your comment to an out of body skate at Nationals is "Why did he choose to peak at Nationals of all places where he could have fallen 6 times and still won?" ... well, you tell me.

I still stand by that statement as I do fear that Chan may have already peaked this season. I will be very surprised if he is able to deliver the same types of performances at Worlds, which is where I imagine he most wants to have those skates as he himself said so at the kiss and cry at Nationals. You seem to have ignored the posts where I congratulated Chan on his Nationals performances & GPF performances and applauded his improvements from the GP season. I guess it's easier to assume that I'm an all evil Chan hater though simply because I'm not an ardent Chanatic. :p I don't believe any skater is perfect; everyone has something they can work on improving from nitpicking details to major problems that need addressing.

Last edited:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Even if Chan doesn't skate quite as well as at Canadian Nationals he can still be on the podium. Maybe just not gold.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I still stand by that statement as I do fear that Chan may have already peaked this season. I will be very surprised if he is able to deliver the same types of performances at Worlds, which is where I imagine he most wants to have those skates as he himself said so at the kiss and cry at Nationals. You seem to have ignored the posts where I congratulated Chan on his Nationals performances & GPF performances and applauded his improvements from the GP season. I guess it's easier to assume that I'm an all evil Chan hater though simply because I'm not an ardent Chanatic. :p I don't believe any skater is perfect; everyone has something they can work on improving from nitpicking details to major problems that need addressing.

You're right, I did ignore those posts. Your first post on Chan's performance was it was "too incredible." Your second post was "will he be able to do this again." Your third post was the one I quoted. Then I actually asked you why you were nitpicking Chan's best skate of his career ("come on, enjoy the moment") and easily the best skate from any skater this season (I might add you hadn't actually seen the skate in question from your comments in the Nationals thread, it appeared). Then you actually praised his performance. Do you really think you deserve special credit for that? No more than I deserved credit for praising Joubert's ability to come back at Euros for a medal.

Secondly, it's easier to assume you're a Chan hater for a number of reasons, your Nationals comments being the most obvious (hell, I don't even think ptf is a Chan hater and he's rooting for the guy to miss the podium based on karma). Fact is, I'm not actually convinced you fear he won't be able to repeat this performance. If he skates horribly and wins, you can complain to your heart's content. If has a skate at or close to his Nationals performance, he'll deserve to win (which I don't think you want).

Nothing actually wrong with that (I don't want anybody but Takahashi or Chan deserving to win), though.

You're absolutely correct when you assert that Chan has things to work on, both major and minor.

Anyway, I've beaten this dead horse enough.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Your first post on Chan's performance was it was "too incredible." Your second post was "will he be able to do this again."

Why is it wrong for me to question those things? Yes, "too incredible?" and asking if he can repeat is right, just as Abbott's 2010 performances were too incredible for a Nationals event when you and I both know he would have most wanted those skates in Vancouver. Same with Chan, you know he wants those Nationals skates in Tokyo this season. Will it work out for him at Worlds? I don't know. I hope for his biggest fans that what happened to Abbott doesn't happen to Chan. I was so crushed for Jeremy in Vancouver. :cry:

Then you actually praised his performance. Do you really think you deserve special credit for that?

:confused: Wow! You seem to be taking this all very personally for some reason. I don't think I deserve special credit for that at all. I was just pointing out that you seem to have this one-sided picture of me that I'm some nonsensical hater when in reality I tend to play devil's advocate sometimes. I'm happy for any skater who does well or achieves a personal best along with a win. Isn't that what we all want - to see a well skated event and a champion and medalists basking in the glory of a win knowing that they gave it the best they could. What I don't like to see is a skater win with embarrassing performances; I'm sure the skaters don't like that either. I hardly see how that makes me a bad person. I fully realize though that the skaters simply take what the judges give them and the skaters are not to blame when flawed performances take them to a title.

If has a skate at or close to his Nationals performance, he'll deserve to win (which I don't think you want).

Actually, if Chan is to win Worlds, I do want it to be with performances like his Nationals. If that happens, I will be happy for him whether you choose to believe it or not.

Anyway, I've beaten this dead horse enough.

Yes, I agree. Moving on..............

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
All right. I apologize. If it's any consolation, I hope Kostner skates well and adore Crone/Poirier, so we do have some things in common.

fscric

On the Ice
To be fair, at least museksk8r hasn't wished Chan to fall many times at World so that he would be off the podium, not that I know of anyway.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
All right. I apologize. If it's any consolation, I hope Kostner skates well and adore Crone/Poirier, so we do have some things in common.

:) I'm glad you understand me better. My biggest wish for Worlds is that the results for all the disciplines will not be controversial. Believe it or not, I really don't like being upset when I watch skating competitions. ;)

fscric

On the Ice
Oh yeah, I knew there was something wrong with his eyes. I would never have called it 'dead eyes' though. I saw a feature on him during the Vancouver Olympics that said before he had some sort of surgery, he had ot sit in a chair and spin before his performances to get his vision straight. It's especially remarkable that he competed so well with that problem.

Thank you for this tidbit. I haven't followed figure skate for a few years so I didn't know about this. Doesn't it make Chan's achievement so far even more remarkable?!

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To be fair, at least museksk8r hasn't wished Chan to fall many times at World so that he would be off the podium, not that I know of anyway.

Chan may not be my favorite skater, but I really don't want any skaters to fall. I would be very surprised not to see Chan on the podium given the successful season he has had. He has set himself up very well as the favorite for Tokyo; it's up to him to deliver now.

Chan may not be my favorite skater, but I really don't want any skaters to fall. I would be very surprised not to see Chan on the podium given the successful season he has had. He has set himself up very well as the favorite for Tokyo; it's up to him to deliver now.
HEAR! HEAR! Falls in the 6.0 system cost many would be champions their gold medal. Talk to Cohen about this. Kwan never beat Cohen when there were no Falls by Cohen.

If you judge in the CoP, a Fall shows bad skating skills, and it disrupts the program. The minus one penalty is not enough to cover sloppy skating. It's not that the skater Falls all the time, it's judging the skater on what he does in competition. (Not what he can do last week.)

burntBREAD

Medalist
HEAR! HEAR! Falls in the 6.0 system cost many would be champions their gold medal. Talk to Cohen about this. Kwan never beat Cohen when there were no Falls by Cohen.

If you judge in the CoP, a Fall shows bad skating skills, and it disrupts the program. The minus one penalty is not enough to cover sloppy skating. It's not that the skater Falls all the time, it's judging the skater on what he does in competition. (Not what he can do last week.)

When was there a competition when Cohen didn't fall or mess up? I also only remember her beating Kwan once at Worlds in 2004, and she nearly fell on two jumps and did like an overrotated double salchow near the end (as well as the flutzing as much as you hated). And I don't understand. How does a fall show bad skating skills? It definitely disrupts the program, I understand, but skating skills is more the in between of elements rather than the landing of a jump...here's the ISU's description of skating skills:
• Balance and rhythmic knee
action and precision of foot
placement
• Flow and effortless glide
• Cleanness and sureness of deep
edges, steps and turns
• Power/energy and acceleration
• Mastery of multi directional
skating
• Mastery of one foot skating
• Pair Skating and Ice Dancing –
equal mastery of technique by
both partners shown in unison
• Ice Dancing – compulsory dance
– ice coverage

Layfan

Record Breaker
When was there a competition when Cohen didn't fall or mess up? I also only remember her beating Kwan once at Worlds in 2004, and she nearly fell on two jumps and did like an overrotated double salchow near the end (as well as the flutzing as much as you hated). And I don't understand. How does a fall show bad skating skills? It definitely disrupts the program, I understand, but skating skills is more the in between of elements rather than the landing of a jump...here's the ISU's description of skating skills:
• Balance and rhythmic knee
action and precision of foot
placement
• Flow and effortless glide
• Cleanness and sureness of deep
edges, steps and turns
• Power/energy and acceleration
• Mastery of multi directional
skating
• Mastery of one foot skating
• Pair Skating and Ice Dancing –
equal mastery of technique by
both partners shown in unison
• Ice Dancing – compulsory dance
– ice coverage

But I think Michelle did beat Sasha in the FS at 2004 worlds. I just wasn't enough to beat her overall. BTW, Sasha did have a couple comps where she didn't mess up. There was a GP event way back in the day and one Marshall's Challenge. Minor competitions but every once in a while I do look it up just to see Sasha do a perfect LP.