Whom Do You See on the Worlds Podium? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Whom Do You See on the Worlds Podium?

Awkward is not the word that comes to mind with Chan. Yes, he has had jump issues. He seems to have fixed them. I don't know what there is for the judges to "get him" on unless he regresses, in which case sure, he should get marked down.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Podiums in no order:

Ladies:
Ando, Kostner, Murakami (I want to say Czisny, but I'm not totally sure about her chances (has she peaked already? I hope not and want to see her podium); too many question marks exist for me to place Kim or Asada on the podium. I believe this is the first season of her career, junior or senior, that Mao has competed in every event and not won a single title; that speaks volumes I think.)

Men:
Chan, Takahashi, Kozuka (Oda may have different ideas.)

Pairs:
S/S, K/S, V/T (P/T have been SO SLOPPY the majority of this season.)

Dance:
D/W, P/B, B/S (I would be very surprised to see V/M be ready to be at their best here if they do decide to compete.)

Last edited:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I don't think Gachinski's going to medal. I'd even say he might be out of the top 10. The lowest Chan could be is 5th, I think, but I don't think he'll be that low.

miki88

Medalist
Podiums in no order:
Ladies:
Ando, Kostner, Murakami (I want to say Czisny, but I'm not totally sure about her chances (has she peaked already? I hope not and want to see her podium); too many question marks exist for me to place Kim or Asada on the podium. I believe this is the first season of her career, junior or senior, that Mao has competed in every event and not won a single title; that speaks volumes I think.)

But that doesn't necessarily affect her chances of finishing on the podium, just her possiblity to win. And I really don't forsee Kim finishing off the podium. Kostner is someone, whom I think, should always have some question marks placed beside her.

kiz_4Ever

On the Ice
Ladies: Ando, Kim, Kostner (in case she doesn't go cleanly, Mao)
Men: Joubert, Chan, Takahashi (with eventually Kozuka)
Pairs: Savchenko/Szolkowy, Pang/Tong, Volosozhar/Trankov
Dance: Davis/White, Pechalat/Bourzat, Bobrova/Soloviev (alternatives: Shibutani and Crone/Poirier). If Virtue/Moir come, they could be 3rd instead of the russians.

You're the first to say the Shibs could make the podium. Thank you. (I hope it, but didn't dare predict it.) Why can't there be surprises in dance like in every other discipline?

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kostner is someone, whom I think, should always have some question marks placed beside her.

It's the 3rd year though and Kostner wins world medals in 3s: 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011. Bronze in 2005, silver in 2008, gold in 2011? :p;)

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
For me, Miki, Mao and Yuna are clear favorites for the women

Patrick and Daisuke are clear favorites for the men, although the men's field is very deep.

But there are always surprises.

Medal contenders:

Men:
Kozuka is maybe the strongest medal contender of the rest of the men.
Joubert
Oda
Verner
Brezina
Amodio

Medal contenders ladies:
With these ladies it all comes down to who skates the best that day:
Alissa
Carolina
Murakami
Rachael
Korpi
I see Cynthia as a bigger long shot than all the above but you never know.

They all have each other to beat, not to mention Miki, Mao and Yuna.

I find the ladies to be so unpredictable this season. The safest bet is that Miki and Mao will make the podium. Yuna is a total wild card but so far I'm betting on her.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I do not think Gachinsky us at the medal stage yet, but he will.

Chan has the most potential to place on the podium, and even win it, but he tends to be awkward on technique. I think the Worlds judges will get him on this. Base Values mean nothing to me; they vary from panel to panel, and PC scores moreso. There is more to PC than the misnomer skating skills.

Again, this seems like a myth.

The biggest complaint about PCS is that they don't vary much from panel to panel. Internationally, Chan's PCS have varied approximately five percent.

Base values don't vary. What's put on the ice varies

But moreso, you said you've assumed everyone skates their best. In which case Chan has the highest base value (yes, higher than Bradley who has harder jumps). The highest TES. The highest PCS.

Anyway, I am quite amused: after Skate Canada, museksk8r swore off skating because he felt that Chan was going to win everything straight to Sochi. pangtongfan said he felt the men's competition was quite boring because he forecasted Chan domination. And this was when he was skating flawed. After he gives the greatest long program of his life at Nationals, you think he'll be off the podium at Worlds.

Quite the range we've got here.

Ituriel

On the Ice
If Gachinski wins a medal and Chan is out the podium, You will win money, Joesitz :laugh:

It's the 3rd year though and Kostner wins world medals in 3s: 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011. Bronze in 2005, silver in 2008, gold in 2011? :p;)
:eek: noooo, if that happens, ladies' event will be a epic splatfest

my bets (no order)

Mens: Dai, Chan, Amodio
Laidies: Yu Na, Ando, Murakami
Pairs: Aliona & Robin, Tatiana & Maxim, Pang & Tong
Ice Dancing: Davis & White, Virtue & Moir, Pechalat & Bourzat

Last edited:

zizi

Rinkside
Ladies: Ando, Asada, Kim
Men: Joubert, Chan, Takahashi
Pairs: Kavaguti/Smirnov, Savchenko/Szolkowy, Volosozhar/Trankov
Dance: Pechalat/Bourzat, Virtue/Moir, Davis/White

in no particular order

prettykeys

Medalist
Ladies: Also YuNa, Mao; Carolina/Alissa for the third spot
Men: Daisuke, PChiddy, Joubear
Pairs: Anyone - don't really follow
Dance: Davis/White, Virtue/Moir, any third

OH, edit. The above is what I *want* to see. (And clearly I'm only reading what I want to read!) Who do I think is gonna podium? Don't really know.

Last edited:

babayaga

On the Ice
Men: Joubert, Chan, Takahashi
Pairs: Kavaguti/Smirnov, Savchenko/Szolkowy, Volosozhar/Trankov
Dance: Pechalat/Bourzat, Virtue/Moir, Davis/White

in no particular order

That's exactly what I think will happen, only I would replace Joubert with Kozuka. Men are the most unpredictable probably with Verner, Joubert, Kozuka, and Oda all having similar chances for the third podium place.

icemusings

On the Ice
Men: Chan, Takahashi, Kozuka

Ladies: Ando, Kim, Czisny

Pairs: Savchenko/Szolkowy, Kavaguti/Smirnov, Volosozhar/Trankov

Dance: Davis/White, Virtue/Moir, Pechalat/Bourzat

wonderlen3000

Final Flight

Men: Takahashi, Kozuka, Mr. Dead Eyes

Pair: S/S, P/T, K/S

Dance: yarm, yarnnn, yarrnnnnnn

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anyway, I am quite amused: after Skate Canada, museksk8r swore off skating because he felt that Chan was going to win everything straight to Sochi. pangtongfan said he felt the men's competition was quite boring because he forecasted Chan domination. And this was when he was skating flawed. After he gives the greatest long program of his life at Nationals, you think he'll be off the podium at Worlds.

Can you really blame me for my reaction or the reactions of others during the GP season though? I don't think a skater winning with 4 falls is amusing at all, regardless of their planned difficulty or their potential. To Chan's credit, he greatly improved at the GPF and at Nationals. If he is to win at Worlds, I hope he does it with performances like the latter part of this season have shown and not the earlier splatfests we witnessed in the GP series.

sunny0760

On the Ice
I can't believe I would see this kind of post here. Is this necessary even if you hated the skater with a passion?

Agreed. There are some posters who express THEMSELVES in biased way. However, is this so surprising in an internet world where people do not show their own faces?

As for me, I find his eyes very pretty and somewhat exotic. I have always liked the way how he smiles or laugh since I saw him for the first time at GPF, 2008 where he fell multiple times.:rock:

About topic, I would like to see the very best competition and somewhat unexpected results.
I think Carolina has a possibility. If she was practicing 3F(3L?) and some 3/3s at Euros, she may bring them at Worlds and would be the most unexpected podium finisher!

Last edited:

treeloving

Medalist
Not in any particular order

Men
Apart from Dai and Chan who is another one is so hard to predict. But if everyone skate clean I think Kozuka might be on podium.

Ladies
Kim, Ando/Asada (but not both) and Alisa

Pair
S/S, V/T, P/T (I really wish K/S to win at least silver, but I think the judges will do that only when other three team make mistakes)

Dance D/W, V/M and P/B if V/M don't come then the shibs

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Can you really blame me for my reaction or the reactions of others during the GP season though? I don't think a skater winning with 4 falls is amusing at all, regardless of their planned difficulty or their potential. To Chan's credit, he greatly improved at the GPF and at Nationals. If he is to win at Worlds, I hope he does it with performances like the latter part of this season have shown and not the earlier splatfests we witnessed in the GP series.

Dude, you basically called me a bully when I pointed out that other skaters were graded similarly according to the same rules (aka, not massive Skate Canada corruption) and now are rooting for Kostner over in ladies...