Mao Asada's LP is a masterpiece | Golden Skate

Mao Asada's LP is a masterpiece

christinaskater

Medalist
She is so amazing and her program is one of the best I've ever seen!

I am a huge fan of skating and I've watched it all my life and I will definitely add this program to the all time best programs! Simply exquisite!!!!!!!!!!

let`s talk

Match Penalty
It would be even better if she sticked with the original plan, without those horrible changes that she showed in 4CC.

lavender

Record Breaker
I loved the changes. I didn't love her program before but I do now. Her jumps were just okay (minus the triple axel which was awesome). Now I have 3 or 4 favorite longs programs by the ladies.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Her program at Nationals was almost a masterpiece. Not a fan of the new version, although her intrinsic quality is still apparent.

lavender

Record Breaker
Which parts do you guys like the best in the old version? My favorite a moves in the new version is the beginning and the spiral at the end. I've been trying to compare.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
This clip compares the old vs. new versions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4QvfUtD-cE

I love the new one. Overall it is much much more connected to the music, especially the step sequence. Love the subtle moves e.g. ina bauer (is it called that even when one leans forward?) right after 3luz, the opening pose with the smile, the spin combo, and the ending with the spiral- reminiscence of Nancy's old programs.

lavender

Record Breaker

I love the new one. Overall it is much much more connected to the music, especially the step sequence. Love the subtle moves e.g. ina bauer (is it called that even when one leans forward?) right after 3luz, the opening pose with the smile, the spin combo, and the ending with the spiral- reminiscence of Nancy's old programs.

Thank you hikki! ITA with your statement. This is exactly how I feel. It is the connection to the music that makes me enjoy the new version better.

hongligl

Final Flight
I definitely love the new one too! Like hikki and lavender, I feel the new one match the moves with the nuances of the music better, especially the two spins. Mao's spin positions and spiral positions are equally gorgeous, but ending the program with a dreamy quiet spiral goes better with the mood of the music:)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The old one is SO much better. Look at how much more crammed together the jumps are in the new version. Jump, jump, jump right at the start of the program and then a spin and then jump, jump, jump some more. Plus, her 3Loop was at the very end of the program in the old version which is both technically more impressive and also musically better because the jump was followed by a release of the music at that point in time.

The spiral sequence in the old program was far more impressive (more speed / ice coverage / positions) and also transitioned into the 3Sal. Her Flying Sit spin in the old program went better with the music because it hit the swirling notes and then she comes up out of the spin directly in time with the new transition to the next section of the score. The footwork sequence was much better in the old program because it didn't suddenly cut short before getting to the other end of the rink so that she can start doing crossovers for a jump. And look at the little running movements she does at the end of the footwork in the old program - so beautiful with the music, as if she is running into the arms of her lover whom she hasn't seen for months. Following it up with the 3Loop, which came right before the release in the strain of the music, and then her combination spin, was just so perfect in the old program. It was both powerful and graceful at the same time in its depiction of love and contentment found at last. Her ending pose in the old program was especially MUCH better (and also more in time with the music...her arms just kind of sit there in the new version while waiting for the music to end in its last second).

genki

On the Ice
I also love this new program. Although the coverage of her spiral decreased, the impact of Mao's beautiful position increased by putting it at the very end.
I love her first smile, too. It is like a million!!. I used to think that Mao lacks in facial expression, but not anymore. That smile brightens up the whole arena imo.

Here's one more interesting video to see both Bell and Dream of love one after another, enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UloMevpyuTg

How lovely to be able to compare the two! Thanks for finding that video. I love aspects of both versions, but I especially love that ending spiral in the new version. Generally, nearly all skating programs end with a spin; Mao's new conclusion sets her apart. How long is it till Worlds again? I can't wait.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
BoB, while I agree with you about the 3loop and the 'little running movements' which were lovely, I must say all the other changes capture the 'nuances of the music' as hongligl and lavender said, having much more refined layouts that leave more room for her to feel/express the music. In the old version she would often be in the middle of an element while the tone/melody changes. The new version is much more sensitive to the changes, giving an impression that the moves capture the music rather than just being there with the music on the background.

>jump jump jump
Aside from the placement of 3 sal and 3loop I don't see much difference in the jump layouts and the transitions. If anything she added an moves in the field element after 3luz. And I'm personally glad the spread eagle was taken out before 3lutz as I was never a fan of hers which isn't nearly as deep nor of great impact as Shizuka's or Brian's. (A shorter spread eagle is now in the setup to 3sal)

>spins
The new first combo is much better as the changes of positions synch with the music perfectly, ending with the beautiful Y position at the climax, then gently starts the next move when the new melody begins (again, in the old version she's still in the middle of the spin). Ditto the second combo.

>the footwork sequence
Again the new one is done so well to the crescendo I absolutely love it! You interpreted it 'suddenly cut' while I think it's more effective. I never liked step sequences that go for tad too long.

> the short spiral at the end vs. a long spiral
I think benefits outweigh the negative(s). It's a 'choreo' spiral named for a reason which is not supposed to be a point getter move anyway. This choreo ends the program just so nicely- and the new ending pose holds the moment much more gently whereas the old ending with the spin combo seemed rushed.

I have way too much time at work today:biggrin:

P.S. Olympia, genki and Tinymavy15, your statements are much more shorter and succinct so I'll just say ditto!

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
great video comparing the two versions! I love the 4CC more, more unique, and the choreo fits the phrasing of the music so much better in my opinion. I love how she begins the step sequence as the music swells with joy...and she smiles :)

prettykeys

Medalist
That video comparing the two programs is awesome. I had an inkling that I liked the new one from 4CC's better, but now that I had a chance to directly compare the two, there's no question. The new one is SO much better. :p It really does highlight and match the music much better. Especially when the twinkly piano starts when she begins her spin at 2:47 (rather than skating through it and just jumping irrelevantly in the older choreo), and the timed start of the step sequence, and with the sweet ending spiral... yup, my vote's for the new one. :agree:

SkateSkates

Medalist
I definitely like the new one better, but I wish there was still a long spread eagle in it. The footwork before and after the lutz not only goes better with the music, but it also boots her transition scores and GOE so the minuses for the edge call aren't as bad. The only other change I would make is adding more speed into the final spiral.

miki88

Medalist
Overall, I like the new one better but I also miss the spread eagle, which I felt fitted the music rather well. Also, I do agree with BoP that the footwork appeared to end abruptly in the new one, whereas it flowed with the music in the old one. However, I also felt the footwork in the previous version was a bit too long.