The Picture Thread | Golden Skate

The Picture Thread

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Relatively high rez pics from the qualies! If you have any requests for pics I will see what I can do. I don't recognize much of these skaters, so here are the pics that fancied my tickle:

Alina Fjodorova of Latvia (8th in the round, qualified)

Doesn't she look like a girl scout about to wash some dishes?

Alina Milevskaia of Ukraine (16th in the round, did not qualify)

+1 for wink during slide spiral

Karina Uzurova and Llias Ali of Kazakhstan (7th in the round, qualified)

I dub that move the gynoblade.

Nikola Visnova and Lukas Csolley of Slovakia (second in the round)

Medieval peasant girl invents the electric blue miniskirt.

Ryuichi Kihara of Japan (second in the round)

He's both the prince AND the pauper!

Ondrej Spiegl of Sweden (11th in the round, barely qualified)

He's bleeding math formulas, to the sound of Requieum for a Dream... I don't get it.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
More (relatively) high rez pics!

From the pairs short:

Wenjing Sui and Cong Han of China (1st in SP):

Throw 3toe

I have never seen a figure skater smile during the aerial part of a multi-rev jump. And yet there it is! Wenjing may just be the happiest skater ever.

Klara Kadlecova and Petr Bidar of Czech Republic (9th in SP):

Double Twist

I see nip! It's the stripper Harry Potter.

Ksenia Stolbova and Fedor Klimov of Russia (3rd in SP):

Double Twist

I see ribs!

Pair skating is getting sexay!

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Another batch of high rez pics from World Juniors!

Pairs free skate with the final ranking in ():

Shawty get low! Magdalena Klatka and Radoslaw Chruscinski (14th) do a death spiral where her head is rubbing the ice.

Once again Petr Bidar (8th) is not happy unless he's showing nip (see pic in previous post)! As he does when catching this double twist.

Yuri Shevchuk (11th with Alexandra Vasilieva) is not afraid of wearing pink.

Men's SP SP ranking in ():

Artur Dimitriev (2nd) is a snarler. And there he snarls again. Rawr!

You can tell just from this pic that Alexander Majorov (4th) is doing an Austin Powers program.

There is so much going on with Abzal Rakimgaliev's (9th) outfit. I get that he's skating to Beetlejuice, but his outfit is actually wilder than the Tim Burton character!

Serious Business

Record Breaker
More high res pics! The dance is free and the ladies are short:

Sara Hurtado and Adria Diaz of Spain (9th) do an always crowd-pleasing reverse lift, because if there's one thing people enjoy it is seeing women carry men.

Champions Ksenia Monko and Kirill Khaliavin show off their o-faces. It starts young in ice dancing.

Bronze medalist Charlotte Lichtman shows off an o-face? Scream of pain? Both? as Dean Copely makes a human necklace out of her.

Same couple as above, this time doing an unusual dance spin where she's leaning face up on his back while he does a camel.

And now thank heaven for little girls:

Ho Jung Lee is obviously skating to Over the Rainbow. She barely made it over the rainbow, coming in at 24th in the last place to qualify for the FS.

Is Elizaveta Tuktamisheva (2nd) snapping her fingers during the 2axel? If not, she totally should. It shall be called the Liza Snap and be her signature move.

Christina Gao's (3rd) mildly improved Biellmann position. The flow of her skirt makes it a striking picture.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
And the last batch of competition high res pics from this comp! The men and ladies have their free skate.

The females:

Champion Adelina Sotnikova listens to one hand while staring down the other. She could also listen to the abstract gold violin on her dress.

It's not easy to give good face during a Biellmann spin, but Elizaveta Tuktamisheva somehow manages it. That's why she's the silver medalist (that and her skating but mostly that).

Bronze medalist Agnes Zawadzki takes a nap during an ina bauer.

The manly men:

Holy crap you guys, this is the first time Jason Brown (7th) has shown up on my newswire. I was hating on the photographers up until that point. So I'm just going to post every pic of his:

Some stroking

Some footworking?

Some sit spinning

Keegan Messing (4th) as the Incredible Hulk:

Hulk worried. Self doubt not as easy to smash as buildings.

Hulk contemplates most artistic angle for picture of Betty

Hulk touches toe. Or is toe touching Hulk? But toe is also Hulk. Hulk confused now, should never have taken epistemology course.

Once again Abzal Rakimgaliev (12th) shows up in outfit made of a dozen other outfits.

Stanislav Pertsov (15th) is not a waxer and wants you to know it.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
And now for my favorite kind of skating pictures, the gala exhibition pics! This has nothing to do with the skating mind you, but everything to do with the lighting. The spotlight in the gala makes for much better pictures with popping colors and levels and dramatic composition, whereas the omni-glare of the ice in competition lighting overpowers everything. Let me show you:

Here's Elizaveta Tuktamisheva looking ad'awwwwrable as Michael Jackson

Cowgirl Risa Shoji gets ready to lasso her foot

Check out the gorgeous colors in this picture of Ksenia Monko and Kirill Khaliavin's folk dance. This would be pretty unremarkable in competition lighting, but against a dark background it really pops. Another pic of them.

Adelina Sotnikova takes flight as a swan.