Junior men's freeskate | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Junior men's freeskate

EVAMARIA

On the Ice
Thank you soo much Siberia82!
He has also been on lokal tv and he had tears in his eyes.He was very moved by the reception at the airport and that many people were there to congratulate him.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada

You're very welcome! :)

He has also been on lokal tv and he had tears in his eyes.He was very moved by the reception at the airport and that many people were there to congratulate him.

Yes, I know! :party: I started a discussion topic about the hero's reception Sasha received here: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?33970-Alexander-Majorov-receives-a-hero-s-welcome-in-his-hometown-of-Luleå

shine

Record Breaker
I hope when Jason Brown gets his 3axel the judges will finally take him seriously and mark his PCS accordingly. He's really already one of the best in the world in the respect IMO.

Last edited:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Thanks,siberia , for Majorov's FP video. That was quite a search...:biggrin:

Another one to watch for and enjoy..lucky us!

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Thanks,siberia , for Majorov's FP video. That was quite a search...:biggrin:

Yeah, no kidding. :p I couldn't read Japanese if my life depended on it (and Google Translate does a poor job of translating Japanese into English :eek:hwell:), but I managed to find what I was looking for through trial and error.

I must say that I'm extremely disappointed that Andrei's win wasn't mentioned in any of my local newspapers. :disapp: There's not even an itty bitty paragraph. I guess the only junior-level sporting event that the Canadian media cares about is hockey. :rolleye:

wallylutz

Medalist
The men's competition level was (unexpectedly) high, despite the absence of Hanyu, Gachinski, Dornbush. Even making the final flight required a 3A and a 3-3. Only three years ago, a man without a 3A could win. Indeed, it's a huge progress. When most of the top junior men can do 3 3A's, the next step is obvious. I hope more junior men attempt the quad.

I wonder why Japan didn't send Hanyu to this competition since he will not be gong to the Senior Worlds.

Jason Brown needs a Triple Axel, period. He has shown some good promise in his skating skills and creativity. However, with the top junior men today doing not one but two Triple Axels in their FS, he would not be competitive unless the competition is a splashfest. Otherwise, I really enjoyed his FS, more so than his SP.

Andrei Rogozine - solid SP and FS = Gold medal when the favorite falters. This is what happened here. With Patrick Chan being the dominant skater in Canada, it is unlikely a skater of his standard will be able to dethrone the Canadian Champion in the way that Chan replaced Buttle. However, Canada is no doubt looking for a strong #2 man internationally. Sawyer is relatively old and may not be around for much longer and Russell is still rough and inconsistent. As for Kevin Reynolds, until he got rid of Joanne McLeod or/and his hair, don't expect him to change much. There is a desire to find a wingman for Patrick Chan in the build up towards the next Olympic Games and Rogozine can ride the momentum here to position himself well next season. Certainly, he will be getting Senior GP invitations as a result of the Gold medal here. But he needs to demonstrate more than just consistency and there are clearly a lot of things he needs to work on. Personally, I think he could use some aesthetic make over but it's just me. As for all the hate he has been getting here in this thread - considering most of these posters probably never heard of his name before, it's safe to assume his Gold medal unexpectedly stepped on someone's favorite(s) who didn't deliver, therefore, the nitpicking ensued. Put it this way, nothing is more controversial than Ryan Bradley winning U.S. Championship this year. If Rogozine's win at JWC can receive so much hate, :rolleye: is the only possible response.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Canada's Nam Nguyen wants to skate Senior next year after winning Canada's Juniors this year at age 12 and no more than 4 1/2 ft tall. His goal is to be in the top 5. I bet he's shooting for the Senior's podium 2013. He will be battling it out with Nathan Chen of the US, culminating at the showdown at 2018 Olympics.

It will be Chan and Nguyen in just a couple of years. You've got to give it to Canada that despite the lack of depth, there is always the next one to carry the torch and shine on the world stage.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Would you be offended if he did feel that way? He won the Silver at 4 Continents and scored way higher than anyone at Junior Worlds. His decision to move up to Seniors at 16 was a good one.

mot

On the Ice
Does he believe he is too good to be at Junior Worlds already at 16?

In his last season as junior, he won absolutely everything - 2 JGP, JGPF and Junior Worlds. It's understandable that he felt he had nothing left to do in junior then.

Do you feel Dornbush's decision was similarly good?

I read somewhere he wanted to go to the Junior Worlds but was persuaded otherwise by his federation. Is that right?

Last edited:

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
Canada's Nam Nguyen wants to skate Senior next year after winning Canada's Juniors this year at age 12 and no more than 4 1/2 ft tall. His goal is to be in the top 5. I bet he's shooting for the Senior's podium 2013. He will be battling it out with Nathan Chen of the US, culminating at the showdown at 2018 Olympics.

It will be Chan and Nguyen in just a couple of years. You've got to give it to Canada that despite the lack of depth, there is always the next one to carry the torch and shine on the world stage.

Doesn't Nam have to skate Senior in Canada because he won Junior? The funny part is that he doesn't even qualify for Junior international events yet. He is very exciting, incredibly talented, and a very bright light. I agree that in a few years, it will very likely be Chan and Nguyen. Just crazy, crazy talent in both of those young men.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I read somewhere he wanted to go to the Junior Worlds but was persuaded otherwise by his federation. Is that right?

If that's the case, then that might be the most costly error the US Federation has made in a while.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Do you feel Dornbush's decision was similarly good?

Although he could have won Junior Worlds, a title he does not have (he's never even been to Junior Worlds), I do think it was the best decision. If you are able to be competitive in the Senior ranks, then it's generally always better to skate in that division. Winning a Junior World Title ultimately doesn't mean all that much. Simply skating well at Senior Worlds (or even 4 Continents) will get more people to notice you. If Dornbush went to Junior Worlds then he probably would have less energy at Senior Worlds; it's more important to do as well as he possibly can at Senior Worlds -- especially because if the U.S. loses its 3 spots then that could possibly cost HIM a spot on the World team next year.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I'm taking it as a given that there was no combination of men that'll get the three spots, to be honest (and if I'm wrong, send the crow my way).

That said, I'm not sure I agree with your precept that a junior title ultimate doesn't mean all that much. I'll have to think about that one.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Doesn't Nam have to skate Senior in Canada because he won Junior? The funny part is that he doesn't even qualify for Junior international events yet. He is very exciting, incredibly talented, and a very bright light. I agree that in a few years, it will very likely be Chan and Nguyen. Just crazy, crazy talent in both of those young men.

I think it is Nam's own decision. He has won every devision every year, leapfrogging all the way and this year he was observing the Seniors competition in preparation for next year. He likes competing against "old" people. Patrick, too, decided he wanted to compete with the current top Men rahter than the next batch, his peers in age, who are just coming up in the Senior rank now. In contrast, Nathan Chen of the US is staying with the Novice and in no hurry to join the Junior rank just yet. At least this is his family's and his coach's decision.

Canada usually doesn't have a large field and the same depth as in the US but somehow there is always an extremely talented young man to come forth to lead not just nationally but to be among the top tier internationally. They tend to breeze through the levels and join the Seniors at a very young age, where they will take a couple of years to start winning medals. In contrast, the US sees deep and very competitive fields in Singles. The talented young ones tend to take their time in the Junior to gain experience and better their chances before competing with the Seniors. As well, jumping techniques seem more often a problem with the American skaters as evidenced by UR and Edge calls such that some Juniors may need extra time to unlearn and correct what they picked up while rushing through the learning process when younger.

Canadians don't have the same complicated discussions on whom to send to international Juniors and Seniors. The deciding factor for a prodigy is age according to ISU rules. Nam may compete in the Seniors nationally next year while still ineligible for Juniors internationally.