Junior men's freeskate | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Junior men's freeskate

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Entries for next season!

Canada retains its 2 spots. Second Canadian Liam Firus finished only 20th. So despite having the champion, America's hat only gets 2 entries next year.

Despite the fact that Alexander Majorov vastly improved his finish from last season's 8th place to bronze at these championships, the fact that Ondrej Spiegl finished 27th means Sweden is back down to one guy next season.

With the Russian men having a bit of a meltdown in the FS, Russia drops from 3 spots to 2 for next season.

Japan just about hangs onto its 3 spots, with Keiji Tanaka finishing 2nd and Ryuichi Kihara finishing 10th. If either had finish 2 places lower, or didn't dramatically improve on their SP rankings, Japan would've dropped a spot.

Despite missing the podium, the US men manage to crowd enough of the top 10 to ensure 3 spots next season.

With Abzal Rakimgaliev dropping out of the top 10 after the FS, Kazakhstan goes down from two spots to one. Although this season they did not even use up their second slot, with Denis Ten either opting to focus on senior worlds or is out with an injury.

NMURA

Medalist
Sweden keeps 2 spots. The point for FNR is 18. With Majorov's 3rd place, they have 21 points.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Sweden keeps 2 spots. The point for FNR is 18. With Majorov's 3rd place, they have 21 points.

I did not know that rule. Thank you for telling me!

And a ranking below 16 will still count only as 16 points. The more you know™.

Last edited:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Tanaka was robbed, I think. Rogozine's basics are noticeably weaker, his jumps have no flow, and even worse, he's boring. I don't know how he had 2pts higher in PCS - actually, he's quite grossly overscored in PCS overall.

Brown, Tanaka, Gorshkov and Majorov were the highlights for me.

Aargh! Been tied up all afternoon (here in Asia) and just now checking out the results. Bummed for Keegan. I agree with above on Rogozine--based on what I saw of him at the JGPF, he is actually a pretty boring skater and I don't find his basics all that great either. Maybe another judges' pet?

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker

This rule makes sense to me. It's like saying if one of the two is among top ten, the nation keeps 2 spots. It's the same rule at senior championships.

Ravensque

On the Ice
A big congrats to Rogozine. He skated very well all season (except for Can Nats). That's quite an accomplishment for him and I hope he continues to improve. Cudos to all three medalists.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
This is the first time a Canadian has won the men's world junior championships in 33 years! And only the 5th medal won by a Canadian in this discipline in these championships ever (that's 35 years)!
I actually count 6 medals ;): Brain Pockar (1976 bronze), Daniel Beland (1977 gold), Dennis Coi (1978 gold), Marc Ferland (1984 silver), Patrick Chan (2007 silver) and now Andrei Rogozine (2011 gold).

Still, you're right that Canada generally doesn't do well at Junior Worlds, so this win is big, indeed! :rock:

Wow, congrats to Canada, Japan and Sweden! No US or Russian medals
The USA and Russia have won medals in other disciplines at this year's competition; the smaller countries should have their moment in the limelight as well!

ETA: Both Andrei and Sasha are Russian-born, so there are two Russians on the Junior Men Worlds podium, but they skate for different nations. :p

Sweden's first junior worlds medal. Well done Sasha
I'm so happy for Sasha and Swedish FS fans! :hb: :party2:

Last edited:

ljaeren

Rinkside
Now that I see these scores and compare them to the jgpf, I see how far ahead Richard Dornbush was. Im glad he got sent to senior worlds. His presentation, and technical ability is at the senior level.

Last edited:

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So despite having the champion, America's hat only gets 2 entries next year

A little off-topic, but I just wanted to say that I think it's funny that you called Canada "America's hat" because it reminds me of a cute on-line comic strip called "Scandinavia and the World", and America does "wear" Canada as his hat! :laugh: http://satwcomic.com/awesome-hats The Scandinavian characters are clearly jealous. :p

ETA: If the link doesn't work at first, just reload the page.

Last edited:

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I actually count 6 medals ;): Brain Pockar (1976 bronze), Daniel Beland (1977 gold), Dennis Coi (1978 gold), Marc Ferland (1984 silver), Patrick Chan (2007 silver) and now Andrei Rogozine (2011 gold).

Still, you're right that Canada generally doesn't do well at Junior Worlds, so this win is big, indeed! :rock:

Ack! You're right, I missed Brian Pockar. It was really late and I was quite sleepy. Poor Canada needs all the help it can get here. Of course, it doesn't stop Canada from producing great male skaters. It's just that for some reason Canadian greats like Browning, Sandhu and Buttle never medaled at junior worlds, which didn't stop them from going on to winning medals in seniors.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I have not viewed the LPs so I'm responding to the posts, not the skating:

Rogozine's basics are noticeably weaker, his jumps have no flow, and even worse, he's boring. I don't know how he had 2pts higher in PCS - actually, he's quite grossly overscored in PCS overall.

I didn't get the PCS judging for this competition. Brown and Tanaka should've had the highest, but the first doesn't have a 3A and the latter was pretty unknown coming in, so, of course they don't get it. Ridiculous.

Keegan Messing choked big time according to reports. He was super nervous and popped the first axel, then reverted to a 3toe instead of a quad, along with other mistakes. Somehow he still managed the highest PCS of the competition.

PCS are not scored on jumps.

Oleada, isn't it contradictory to complain about one skater's high PCS with bad jumps and also about another's low PCS because of lack of 3A?

This wouldn't be the first time where the PCS are little off in order to ensure that the order of finish is correct.

^^^ This is a statement of personal opinion becoming the premise for

Also, words cannot express how much I disagree with the idea that PCS should be fudged around with to ensure some general feeling of "the right ranking".

And then there is

I agree with above on Rogozine--based on what I saw of him at the JGPF, he is actually a pretty boring skater and I don't find his basics all that great either. Maybe another judges' pet?

Such insult and scorn thrown at both skater and judges because of a personal opinion based on viewing of one earlier performance!

I actually count 6 medals : Brain Pockar (1976 bronze), Daniel Beland (1977 gold), Dennis Coi (1978 gold), Marc Ferland (1984 silver), Patrick Chan (2007 silver) and now Andrei Rogozine (2011 gold).

Of these, only Pockar and Chan, both non Gold winners, continued to greater success on the Senior level. And Canada's World Champions don't appear on this list. So winning the Juniors may or may not be a reliable indicator of further success.

Congratulations to Andrei Rogozine for the win! And to Keiji Tanaka and Alexander Majorov for their Silver and Bronze.

EVAMARIA

On the Ice
I didn't get to see it live since this wasn't on Swedish TV but I am so glad for Sasha.
Thank you for your notes and vids.Perhaps there will be some from the FPs as well.
I just want to add something even if Sasha has Russian parents they moved to Sweden when he was 2 years old.So, he really does consider himself Swedish and he is very Swedish in every way.He also has a very nice Northern Swedish accent when he talks.His Russian is so so...

gottadance

On the Ice
looking for video!

would be so grateful if somebody could post the Andrei's video ( the Canadian )!! Thanks in advance to whover can do this !

Serious Business

Record Breaker
A little off-topic, but I just wanted to say that I think it's funny that you called Canada "America's hat" because it reminds me of a cute on-line comic strip called "Scandinavia and the World", and America does "wear" Canada as his hat! :laugh: http://satwcomic.com/awesome-hats The Scandinavian characters are clearly jealous. :p

It's a traditional nick name for Canada! By the same token, the US can also be called Canada's pants. :D

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Looking at the Reuslts, I find that, as at 2010 Skate Canada, the placements are pretty much down the line with the TES, with only a couple of exceptions low in the list. PCS have essentially no effect on the placements, contrary to popular opinions on this thread.

Jason Brown needed 10.13 points more to win and additional 5.8 points to medal. He had already been awarded one of the highest PCS in a pretty tight range among the top 7.

It seems PCS and "bad judging", i.e. judging one disagrees with, are the usual "fall guys" propping up the winner when one doesn't like the final placements.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I just want to add something even if Sasha has Russian parents they moved to Sweden when he was 2 years old.So, he really does consider himself Swedish and he is very Swedish in every way.He also has a very nice Northern Swedish accent when he talks.His Russian is so so...
The Majorovs actually moved to Sweden when Sasha was one year old ;), but yes, I was aware that he strongly identifies himself as a Swede. (I was just joking a little with snowflake.)

By the same token, Andrei is also very Canadian; he even stated in the Dec. 2010 issue of International Figure Skating that he has never visited Russia since his parents moved to Canada. (I gave the magazine to snowflake, so I don't remember how old he was at the time, but he was very young.)

Btw, welcome to the forum, EvaMaria! :) Although I'm a Canuck, I've developed a passion for Sweden's top male figure skaters this season, so you'll see me often on discussion topics related to them. :biggrin:

It's a traditional nick name for Canada!
Strange, I've been to the US several times, yet I've never heard an American describe my country that way. Isn't it weird that I was first exposed to the hat nickname through an on-line Danish comic strip? :p

By the same token, the US can also be called Canada's pants.
:rofl: