Junior men's freeskate | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Junior men's freeskate

oleada

Record Breaker
Oleada, isn't it contradictory to complain about one skater's high PCS with bad jumps and also about another's low PCS because of lack of 3A?

I was being sarcastic. I do believe Brown deserves higher PCS than he got - but I was saying that in the judges mind, since he didn't have a 3A, he's not getting higher marks.

I stand by the statement that Rogozine was overscored in PCS. He is lacking in basics and flow, and his performance was really nothing special. YMMV, but I don't think he should've had such high score. I'm sure he's a wonderful kid off the ice and a hard worker, but that doesn't change facts.

ETA: and it looks I'm not alone in this feeling. From the GS article:

As in the short program, Rogozine had drawn to skate last and once again he delivered. The 18-year-old opened with a triple Axel-triple toe and followed up with another triple Axel and five more triples. However, he did not have much flow on his landings, and the program to The Rock was rather generic. The change foot sit spin was graded a level four while the other spins were a level two and three.

The 16-year-old won the free skating with 132.92 points and earned 196.98 points overall. However, he should have deserved a higher component score, and some observers felt that he should have won overall.
http://goldenskate.com/articles/2010/jw_ml.shtml

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
By the same token, Andrei is also very Canadian; he even stated in the Dec. 2010 issue of International Figure Skating that he has never visited Russia since his parents moved to Canada. (I gave the magazine to snowflake, so I don't remember how old he was at the time, but he was very young.)

He was 5 when he moved to Canada and started skating at 6. His goal is Olympics in his birth country. (source IFS)...

...and yes, welcome EVAMARIA!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've seen Messing's FS live, and he sells the program with wonderful characterization from the first note to the last. By comparison, Rogozine is a wind-up jumping robot.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Yes, chuck, but you hate Canadian skaters as a matter of course. It can be endearing, but you'll excuse me if I don't take your word for it.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Congratulations to Andrei Rogozine!! :biggrin::biggrin:

Just in case anyone's forgotten, Rogozine won two JGP events this year and was to top qualifier for the final where he placed third, so this isn't exactly out of the blue. He's been a favourite for this title all year.

There's no question that Rogozine's presentation needs work, but he is a fantastically consistent jumper, he's mastered the triple axel, and the bottom line is that he delivered here when the others failed to.

I'm actually really excited to see him do so well this year. I've actually seen him skate these programs in person, and he is quite a bit more engaging live then he comes across on television (at least IMO). His footwork is pretty good, too. He can definately benefit from some more speed and flow, but he's got the jumps down already, which is huge. I'm really hoping that he takes this success and runs with it, and that he can keep this consistency going. If he can, I see him at senior worlds very soon.

Also, congrats to the silver medallist, who obviously stole the show in the FS, and the bronze medallist for being the first in his country to accomplish something so significant.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
... So I can't even get righteously indignant having seen Rogozine's skate. Like some aspects of it, though. But then again, I'm the guy not bowled over by Brown or Tanaka either.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
... So I can't even get righteously indignant having seen Rogozine's skate. Like some aspects of it, though.

I have the exact opposite reaction. I'd read the various criticisms of Rogozine's skating skills and performance level, but with the second highest PCS score of the competition, I figured he can't be that bad. I was wrong. This guy is worse than I could've imagined. Such shallow edges on every stroke leading to painfully slow skating. No wonder there's no flow out of his jumps, there isn't any going in. I thought maybe he'd make up for it with some amazing interpretation of the music, but nope, he just seems bored. I kept waiting for him to do anything special, something to make up for all his glaring deficiencies, I was still waiting when he was done. And he has awful posture on top of it all. He didn't even skate his program perfectly what with running out ofsteam at the end and stepping out on a 2axel (a mistake-free program could sometimes lead to a PCS boost). I am completely flummoxed by his PCS score.

He didn't make any major mistakes and rotated all his high scoring jumps and checked off most of his spin levels. So his high ranking isn't completely unfair (though it should've been lower).

Still, one of the worst skaters I've ever seen aside from not splatting. In every aspect of his skating he's either awful or unremarkable.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
<snip>
Rogozine--based on what I saw of him at the JGPF, he is actually a pretty boring skater and I don't find his basics all that great either. Maybe another judges' pet?

This was me, as context for poster below quoting same.

<snip>

Such insult and scorn thrown at both skater and judges because of a personal opinion based on viewing of one earlier performance!
<snip>

Insult and scorn? I thought I was being kind, but I can certainly take it up a notch. I call it as I see it. You seem to be very touchy about Rogozine--or is it the judges you don't like dissed? And yes, it's a personal opinion as is much of what's posted on this forum. The points may have added up, but Rogozine as a World Junior Champion is just...meh.

I've seen Messing's FS live, and he sells the program with wonderful characterization from the first note to the last. By comparison, Rogozine is a wind-up jumping robot.

Glad to see I'm not the only one with same personal opinion.

<snip>
This guy is worse than I could've imagined. Such shallow edges on every stroke leading to painfully slow skating. No wonder there's no flow out of his jumps, there isn't any going in. I thought maybe he'd make up for it with some amazing interpretation of the music, but nope, he just seems bored. I kept waiting for him to do anything special, something to make up for all his glaring deficiencies, I was still waiting when he was done. And he has awful posture on top of it all. He didn't even skate his program perfectly what with running out ofsteam at the end and stepping out on a 2axel (a mistake-free program could sometimes lead to a PCS boost). I am completely flummoxed by his PCS score.

He didn't make any major mistakes and rotated all his high scoring jumps and checked off most of his spin levels. So his high ranking isn't completely unfair (though it should've been lower).

Still, one of the worst skaters I've ever seen aside from not splatting. In every aspect of his skating he's either awful or unremarkable.

Maybe I don't need to take it up a notch after all. Not much one can add to this detailed characterization, which IMO seems to be right on target.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I have the exact opposite reaction.

Sorry, you misunderstood me. I was hoping to get indignant on BEHALF of Rogozine against the various slights, but I can't really, for the reasons you stated. I don't think he's all bad (I certainly don't agree he's a wind-up jumping robot) and people seem reasonably fine with his winning (in the sense that no one really went out and earned it, so the guy who made the least mistakes won). To be honest, I don't like watching the juniors at all, and this doesn't change that. Glad a Canadian won, look forward to his development and the benefits the Canadian boys get by the JGP positions (now hopefully Skate Canada uses them all).

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
^^^^ (BSJJ's post) Such insult and scorn thrown at a young skater as a reaction to someone's observation of your OTT insult based on a viewing of an earlier performance!

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I don't get why so many people are being so critical. I just watched the FS, and I think it was perfectly adequate to win a JUNIOR worlds. It might not be the best winning free skate at Junior Worlds ever, but it was decent.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I don't get why so many people are being so critical. I just watched the FS, and I think it was perfectly adequate to win a JUNIOR worlds. It might not be the best winning free skate at Junior Worlds ever, but it was decent.

I agree totally. Actually it was a surprise to watch his freeskate after so many negative opinions here, LOL. For a junior skater it was good performance, in my opinion. Besides, Rogozine did have flow out of his jumps, except a couple which were not fully successful as jumps.

NMURA

Medalist
The men's competition level was (unexpectedly) high, despite the absence of Hanyu, Gachinski, Dornbush. Even making the final flight required a 3A and a 3-3. Only three years ago, a man without a 3A could win. Indeed, it's a huge progress. When most of the top junior men can do 3 3A's, the next step is obvious. I hope more junior men attempt the quad.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Is there anyone by chance that have Sashas freeskate ? I am so eager to see it !

Unfortunately, I haven't seen it on YouTube so far. :no: His exhibition performance is available, though. The graphics are extremely choppy, just to warn you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzOErGTeMjU

My inner fangirl can't resist mentioning that Sasha is quite handsome (at least IMHO). :love: I like the Swedish guys for their skating first and foremost, but I can't deny that they're very good-looking in their own way. :cool:

gmyers

Record Breaker
I just have a problem with someone -anyone really not just here- that would seperate a 3 axel 3 toe and another 3A - and spread eagles into them as someone who is not doing anything special. Like what do you define special in junior figure skating? When do jumps become so passe that a 3 axel 3 toe is not special?

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:)Gee , I've hardly had the heart to respond here, but really , I feel compelled to speak up for Andrei a bit.

As I've said on other threads, he's not my favourite stylistically ,among the junior Canadian men , but he certainly deserves credit for what he managed to accomplish. I simply can't believe that he's a judges' pet..:biggrin:( Usually, to argue that, there needs to be some obvious factor..he has the coach du jour..he's got a quad..he's an artist..etc.etc. I suppose there are those who would put it down to the clout of the Canadian federation, but since that didn't work for Patrick at World Jr's, or anyone else in the last 3 decades, I don't think the theory holds much water. )

Andrei did what he needed to do. He pulled himself together and put his nose to the grindstone after a pretty disasterous Canadian's. Skating last in both segments of his biggest competition of the season , he stayed focused , didn't choke, landed his big jumps..et voila.

As well as whatever he needs to work on as far as his skating goes ( and they pretty well all have something to work on at this stage of their careers) , he needs help in the performance and costuming departments..and this can be done. (Andrei.. go back to slightly longer hair, find some more inspiring music, learn to smile occasionally while staying focused ,get a little colour in your costumes and go back to long sleeves. You'll be a new man )

This is not the first time that a 3rd in one segment of a competition and a 2nd in the other added up to a win. At least , we all know that things can work out that way without there being anything unfair about it.

Does Andrei's skating thrill me ? Not yet , but I admire his mental toughness ( and his work ethic ). Considering his age ,I'll be watching to see how he deals with his challenges over the next 2-3 years. He does show a willingness to do what it takes..we'll see.

In the meantime..Way to go, Andrei !

Last edited: