Stars On Ice DC 3-6-11 (this is long) | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Stars On Ice DC 3-6-11 (this is long)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
That's terrible! What a jerk!

as iluvtodd said - it was a good thing. He went out of his way to reach out to a fan (my brother) and it truly touched me to the point where I ran up to my hotel room and bawled my eyes out. Several other board members were there and were moved as well. I've never had a fan experience match my meeting Browning.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
That's a very good way of putting it. I do sense an aloofness in Sasha, and I must add that she's one of my favorite skaters, so I don't mean it at all as an insult or even as a left-handed compliment. It's a description of her essence to me, but it's subjective and others may react differently. I'd give a lot to see her "inward" skating in the ranks of American competitive skaters right now, I can tell you. And one of you mentioned the 2002 Olympics--that short program (to "Sentimental Waltz") remains one of my favorite programs ever by any skater. To me, Sasha was never a failure, and I've frequently defended her competitive record against people who dismiss her as a head case. (Several world silvers and an Olympic medal don't make a failure in my book!) She's unique, and she was just as self-possessed, with movements and postures that were just as finished off, when she was fourteen. But her ice persona is rather enigmatic to me, and that's great, because it's part of her individuality. I wish she'd been able to hold on beyond 2006 as a competitor so she could have dominated an era on her own, but I'm hugely glad that she continued as a pro skater.

As for Gordeyeva, she's in the top five on my life list, right up there with Michelle and Yuka Sato, and I've left space for Mao and YuNa, because I suspect we're not going to see their like again. For the record, I don't see Mao as aloof at all, but it just goes to prove that everyone sees it differently.

:thumbsup:

MKFSfan

Medalist
I don't know where the "aloof" comment pertains to Sasha's performances, but I will say I don't think "inward" has to be a negative. I don't mind that exhibition, but it's not one of my faves from Sasha. It's kind of typical Sasha in a way, a collection of her bendy moves, but not really Sasha putting herself out there. Every time I see Sasha skate like this, I think of Dick saying how her smile doesn't extend to her eyes. I just feel sometimes she's acting and not selling. Sorry if that sounds negative, but tha's my take on Sasha. But when I see her skate to R&J, whether it was her exhibition or competitive program, I buy it completely, and that is what I think of when I say "snow globe effect."

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Kurt blogged on March 2 about Stars On Ice:

The past few shows have been tough for me with time change and travel catching up with me and I had some mistakes. Tired legs. The audience in Seattle was amazing, but the ice quality was not and it really brought down some of our performances. Oh well, bad ice happens.

In Boston I look forward to having my Steppin' Out solo sung LIVE by Geoffrey Tyler. Not only did he perform the song, re-write the lyrics, but he helped me choreograph it too! If all goes well he will sing live while I skate in Boston and in Washington.

Wow, a singer helped Kurt choreograph!