2011 World Figure Skating Championships on TV | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2011 World Figure Skating Championships on TV

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Thank you. For the GP, it was on the front page of US-but at least they have a payment option now on the page. BTW, this includes replay (at a later time) as well as live coverage.

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
Guess I'll just be watching once videos are uploaded to YT..... before they're deleted for copyright reasons :(

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well i've already shelled out $14.95 to Universalsports for their grand Prix coverage so what's another $9.95? I'm just worried with the time difference that the coverage will be in the middle of the night here while i'm at work.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Well i've already shelled out $14.95 to Universalsports for their grand Prix coverage so what's another $9.95? I'm just worried with the time difference that the coverage will be in the middle of the night here while i'm at work.

At first I thought that I was covered since I paid the $14.95 for the Grand Prix, but I was wrong. I paid the additional charge.
I hope UniS puts their live streaming schedule up soon so we know what times we will be dealing with. I suspect in the middle of the
night. Coffee drink lots of coffee.

Two questions:

1. Will Universal Sport show the Worlds on computer or TV?

2. Why is Icenetwork keeping mum about all this?

ivy

On the Ice
Count me as another fan that will probably lose track of the sport with out free, over the air coverage - just like I did when ABC stopped broadcasting. I've watched some competitions streaming and the quality just isn't the same - at least not with the DSL speed available to me here.

I don't know why the ISU and USFSA doesn't provide the commentators, camera crews etc and present a finished product, ready to air, to the network - full of promos of the networks other programming. The skating organizations have to realize that the more eyeballs they can get to watch any event, the better for the future of the sport.

It really is a sad spiral - lower rating - less coverage, less coverage - lower ratings. It's up to the governing bodies to turn this around.

I probably will pay to watch Worlds this year - but if next year I can only watch online, I'll probably sadly turn away.

Been nice knowing you guys!

This site has comprehensive information on Figure Skating schedules (US TV, Internet streams in the USA & in other countries, etc.): http://sites.google.com/site/figureskatingnotes/
Universal Sports' upcoming TV broadcast schedule (Europeans, Four Continents, Worlds) is listed there as of today.
Thank you Sylvia - The dumb ox in me is still questioning if this is computer or TV. The title of the google clip reads: Figure Skating TV and Online Schedule.

waxel

Final Flight
I spent the $14.99 on Grand Prix too. I thought the coverage was spotty at best. On demand was not posted in any timely manner, and then usually just "day 2" coverage (etc.) and no breakdown by event. Not sure I'll give it a go for Worlds.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I would have to say that for $15 bucks, I was very satisfied with the Univ. Sports GP coverage. The viewer wasnt the easiest I have ever used but once you got to learn how to use the detailed lists of what was available, you could watch the coverage with or without commentary at your leasure. It was easy to fast forward through the spaces left for commmercials for the stuff that was broadcast. The human help section was very good in learning the tricks. Sometimes I had to e-mail them twice to get a point of usage clarified but once I learned it, it was OK. It sure beat the heck out of no coverage. If you have good hi-speed internet, the quality is fine.

Many of us do not need commentary at all.

In the early days of Sports TV, single sports (like Golf) would have commentary for the uninitiated to understand. Thus, commentary came to FS for the same reasoning. It had merit and it was done like a whisper. Not like Hamilton screaming out she just did a triple toe in a screechy voice.

I haven't seen competitions on computer from UniSport, but if that gets me to see the whole comps, it will be worth it with or without commentary. It would be great LIVE, and I can watch it excerpted on regular TV later.