Just seen on IN: Dube/Davison split | Golden Skate

Just seen on IN: Dube/Davison split

gottadance

On the Ice
more on Dube /Davison

no more details than that but wanted to get it out there

theres a brief article about it on Universal sports which says they both plan to " stay active in figure skating" but it doesnt say whether as competitors or coaches or what . Apparently according to a post on another site, there will be more forthcoming this afternoon .Maybe they will be having a press conference with Skate Canada ?

So sad !
Gottadance

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:laugh: Good grief ! Steve Milton speculates that she wants to skate singles and he wants to heal and look for a new partner, as seen on FSU (sorry,I couldn't make the link work ). I find that beyond bizarre, and I hope it's not for real.
Canadian women's skating needs something all right..but * sigh *..that doesn't seem like a fix for anyone.

ETA: It's one thing to skate with a new partner at 23 .. but surely another thing entirely to come back to singles...:confused:

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I wonder if Jessica will try a career in singles. She has the potential to be Canada's #1 right now.

nadster

Final Flight
I don't think Jessica will go too far in singles. She for one does not have a triple toe ( although she has landed lutzes before - wierd ) . Really the lutz and salchow are her only triples. I pretty sure she has never tried the loop and the flip is inconsistent.

The fact that with all these problems she could still finish top 5 at senior nationals ( with full time singles dedication ) says more about the state of the Canadian ladies. There is nothing promising coming up from junior either.

What would be interesting ( won't happen I know ) is if Duhamel returned to singles. She really can land all the triples and could win senior ladies right now.

gmyers

Record Breaker
They had that peak at 2008 worlds but when down. They really recovered from that blade accident. Also winning bronze at 2008 worlds was K/N in dance and they broke up because of his injury-well he retired. I mean good luck to them in the future. Canada lady skating is poor right now so Dube can get lots of assignments and do great. Pairs is strong so bryce will need time to move up with a new partner.

janetfan

Match Penalty
They had that peak at 2008 worlds but when down. They really recovered from that blade accident. Also winning bronze at 2008 worlds was K/N in dance and they broke up because of his injury-well he retired. I mean good luck to them in the future. Canada lady skating is poor right now so Dube can get lots of assignments and do great. Pairs is strong so bryce will need time to move up with a new partner.

I wish them both luck but can't forget how embarrassed I felt for skating and the CoP after seeing their scores in Vancouver.
They were off , every team I saw looked better and mercifully SC won't have to spend political capital holding this below average team up at future events.

Sorry, but I thought they really skated poorly in Vancouver. Their ridiculously generous scores in Vancouver were a low point of the Olympics for me.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
From the Globe and Mail

Davison will search for a new partner, and hopes to skate pairs again, but only if he can find a high-level skater whose skills match his. He knows it won’t be easy to find that person.

Should he fail to find a partner, he hopes to continue his schooling and perhaps work as a coach, or with Skate Canada in some role as a team leader.

.... <snip>....

Dube will continue to skate women’s singles, and will also return to school. She is enrolled in a communications program at Concordia University. She has not ruled out a return to pair skating either, she said, but it will also be difficult for her to find another partner.

“I’ll never forget what we had together,” Dube said.

“It’s not necessarily a sad moment,” Davison said. “The really cool thing is that two athletes are excited about not necessarily being athletes anymore and wanting to go back to school and moving on with things. That’s a hard thing for an athlete to do.”

I don't think that's spin from Davison either.

ETA: And from Skatebuzz

“I’ve just been cleared to go back on the ice this week, but it’s really just the first of almost baby steps to begin the journey back to the level of skating I would like. I still have a long way to go, but I’m really confident I will be able to get there.” Davison also is looking ahead to new opportunities. “Right now I have to focus on my healing, but I’m hoping to keep my options open. I’m taking steps towards getting my levels so I could coach at some point, and I’m also planning to continue my education.”

colleen o'neill

Medalist
herios .. I agree that I'd like to see Cody with a partner who can jump... OTOH, Jess will have to be seriously working on jumps whichever discipline she winds up in ( maybe she should visit colorado Springs in the off-season..:))

Even before Vancouver 2010 ,I thought there were attitude problems on Bryce's part , as well as Jess's jump deficiency. I saw them previously at a couple of events in Vancouver,and he really gave off a moody vibe. He seemed to be in a funk and she seemed sad. If she had a jump problem, he never seemed to do much to try to match her extension and line.It just looked to be a painful unravelling.

I thought TWWW was a disastrous choice for them in every way, musically (boring),costuming ( reserved and depressing) and even symbolically ..how to recapture what you had ,when part of what you had was a personal relationship that would not be coming back? I wouldn't think that would inspire you on the ice , but rather encourage dwelling on all the things that had gone wrong..

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Since Bryce may/might be a dual citizen, perhaps he can skate with Caydee Denney. Of course, I don't know if either country will have trouble letting the other one go...