Japanese Earthquake, Tsunami, and Nuclear Reactors | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Japanese Earthquake, Tsunami, and Nuclear Reactors

seniorita

Record Breaker
Thank you for all the info about nuclear energy, and I hope people are a litte calmed down reading here, I have two dear Japanese friends and I linked them here to read.

Doris, I appreciate your efforts to give us information. It's such a hard event to process; everything going wrong at once, with attacks (as it were) by both earth and sea. I'm so glad for your expertise.

Seniorita, I hope your friends are and continue to be all right.

seniorita

Record Breaker
them and their families are ok, but I can only imagine what they ve been through and sometimes media cause confusion and fear, i m really greatful you can learn so many things here besides skating and people in this board kept information straight and the appropriate level given the situation and worlds postponment etc..

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
By all accounts, nothing all too exciting has happened yet today, thank goodness.

The wind is still blowing off shore, and the rain tends to leach contaminants out of the air.

The issue of pressure relief should remind you of the ideal gas law you learned in high school chemistry:

PV=nRT,
In short, if the volume is constant, as in a closed containment vessel with no pressure relief valve, if the Temperature goes up, the Pressure goes up.

I wish they could get the external power restored. After the problem with the spent fuel rod pool in Unit 4, TEPCO is reported pondering whether to do anything with Unit 5 and Unit 6:

The US nuclear industry update is here. The decrease in dose rate by a factor of 19.8 times is a good thing.

NEI
UPDATE AS OF 10:20 A.M. EDT, TUESDAY, MARCH 15: The level of radioactivity at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant has been decreasing, according to the International Atomic Energy Agency.

At 8 p.m. EDT March 15, a dose rate of 1,190 millirem per hour was observed. Six hours later, the dose rate was 60 millirem per hour, IAEA said.

About 150 residents near the Fukushima Daiichi site have been checked for radiation and 23 have been decontaminated.

Japanese authorities have distributed potassium iodide tablets to evacuation center (see this page for more information on potassium iodide). If taken within several hours of ingesting radioactive iodine, potassium iodide can protect the thyroid gland.

The IAEA can confirm the following information about the status of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.

Unit 4 was shut down for a routine, planned maintenance outage on 30 November 2010. After the outage, all fuel from the reactor was transferred to the spent fuel pool.

The IAEA has two updates. One that an earthquake in Honshu did not damage the nearby nuclear plant there, and the following update on Fukushina Daiichi:

Units 5 and 6 were shut down at the time of the earthquake. Unit 5 was shut down as of 3 January 2011. Unit 6 was shut down as of 14 August 2010. Both reactors are currently loaded with fuel.

As of 00:16 UTC on 15 March, plant operators were considering the removal of panels from units 5 and 6 reactor buildings to prevent a possible build-up of hydrogen in the future. It was a build-up of hydrogen at units 1, 2, and 3 that led to explosions at the Daiichi facilities in recent days.

The IAEA continues to monitor and seek information on the status of plant workers, reactor conditions, and spent nuclear fuel at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant.

And this:

An earthquake of 6.1 magnitude was reported today at 13:31 UTC in Eastern Honshu, Japan. The Hamaoka nuclear power plant is sited an estimated 100 kilometres from the epicentre.

IEC confirmed with Japan that the plant continues to operate safely.

Units 1 and 2 are decommissioned, unit 3 is under inspection and not operational, and units 4 and 5 remain in safe operational status after the earthquake.

It may have been a 6.4 earthquake, from the comments.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
As I expressed before, I'm really touched and impressed by the courageous civility of the Japanese, especially in Tokyo, a city of 13 million or about 35 million in the Greter Tokyo.

http://prayforjapan.jp/tweet_en.html

"Disneyland gave out sweets from their shops. Some high school girls got many as they can. I thought why, but they gave the sweets for children in evacuation site. That was really moving scene."

"My two year old was putting his shoes on himself saying "I'm going to go arrest the Earthquake!" I realized that inside a tiny body, there is a lot of courage and Justice. Everyone, lets stand strong and get through this."

"So busy traffic. Only one car can go across the traffic light per one blue light, but I was moved to see people drive gently with giving their way. Some intersecions has been completly stopped for more than 5 min., but I've neber heard any horn sounds except the sounds said "Thank you" for 10 hours. I was sceard, but also I've had warming time, and came to like Japan more."

"Last night when I was tired out waiting for the train at the station, the homeless people gave me one of their cardboards to prevent the cold... even though we usually ignore them in daily life... So warm."

"I received an email from my Korean friend: "The only country to have experienced nuclear attacks. The country that lost the WWII. The country that suffers from typhoons every year and the earthquakes. However, isn't Japan the country that always stood up and overcame such difficulties? Gambare. Gambare." FYI, I am crying right now."

"Last night, when I walked back to home from Campus, a female baker gave us bread for free, even if she has already closed the store. It was moving that I could find people who do things they can do in such loud situation. My heart became warm. Tokyo is not something dumped."

"There was a train driver who had been working all night long. When I went up to him and said "It must be tough for you", he smiled and said to me, "What else can I do at a time like this?" Made me rethink about the people of Japan. Moved me."

"walked for 4 hours just to get home. Everyone was walking home silently, diligently. People working at the shops were doing their job. The Internet managed to hold, despite of the enormous overflow. Emergency shelters were opened and trains were quickly restored and ran all night. What a tough county. It doesn't matter what GDP we have."

"The vending machine, the internet wifi spot has been opened to the public; everyone is cooperating and people around the world are moved by this and are trying to help. We have changed since the time the Hanshin earthquake struck 16years ago. We have grown stronger."

"People of Japan, please do not lose your kind hearts. Be gentle to the weak, be helpful to each other, and always have a forgiving heart. Everyone is anxious, just like you. This is our prayer, and we shall also keep this in our hearts."

Last night, as I was walking home from college, I saw a lady at the bakery giving out free bread to everybody. It was way past store hours, and the streets were full of people. It encouraged me a lot to see people trying to help others at their own extent. Tokyo wasn’t such a cold place afterall.
@ayakishimoto

I said to the subway worker on duty throughout the night: “It must have been a hard night.” And he replied with a great big smile: “It’s the least I can do!”
@tadakatz

Dear our people in Japan— Don’t forget your kindness. Don’t forget to lend a hand, to help others, and the heart to forgive. You are not alone. We are with you.

@From the staff of “Ultraman”:
I walked four long hours. The streets were flooded with people, but everybody all quietly walked in order. Convenience stores and drug stores, supermarkets and gas stations— they all just kept on working. Internets managed to stay stable despite the quakes, so many places were opened for people that couldn’t go back home, and the trains somehow recovered and ran throughout the night. Japan kicks butt
It doesn’t matter what we rank in GDP.

On my four-hour walk home, a woman was standing out on the sidewalk holding up a sign that read “Please feel free to use our bathroom!” Japan is the most heartwarming country in the world. I just cried and cried.
@fujifumi

When the lights go out, there is somebody that comes to fix it. When the water runs out, there is somebody that comes to fix it. When there is an accident at the nuke plant, there is somebody that comes to fix it. There is ALWAYS somebody that comes. Even when we are all inside thinking “God damn it!” there is always somebody out there in the cold that comes to fix it.
@yoh22222

An NHK male news reporter steadily reads aloud the disaster situation and about the people at the evacuation centers until he comes across this news. “This mother was so stressed out that she could not produce milk anymore. She waited all night on an extremely long line until the supermarkets opened and finally got milk for her baby.” There was a long silence, as if you would think that there was some kind of transmission problem. He recovered rather quickly but I caught tears in his eyes, and mine, too, welled up.
@bitboi

From a friend from Chiba— An old man spilled out “What’s going to happen next?” A young boy, probably in high-school, sitting next to the old man replied, “It’s okay. Hang on for just a little while. When we grow up, I swear we will fix everything back together again.” The boy kept rubbing the old man’s back. A bright future, that’s what’s next!
@nekoshima83

An old man was rescued after being stranded in a house for 42 hours. He smiled at the camera, “I’ve experienced the tsunami at Chili. I’ve seen everybody get back on their feet. I know we can do it.”
@mameo65

M9.0 marks it as the biggest earthquake ever. Let us mark our love and energy to reconstruct as the biggest ever.
@junyaishikawa

So busy traffic. Only one car can go across the traffic light per one blue light, but I was moved to see people drive gently with giving their way. Some intersecions has been completly stopped for more than 5 min., but I’ve neber heard any horn sounds except the sounds said “Thank you” for 10 hours. I was sceard, but also I’ve had warming time, and came to like Japan more.
@micakom

Last night when I was tired out waiting for the train at the station, the homeless people gave me one of their cardboards to prevent the cold… even though we usually ignore them in daily life… So warm.
@aquarius

The vending machine, the internet wifi spot has been opened to the public; everyone is cooperating and people around the world are moved by this and are trying to help. We have changed since the time the Hanshin earthquake struck 16years ago. We have grown stronger.
@dita_69

People buying things at scattering supermarkets, with picking up thing fell off, and making line to pay. Elder person who gave his seat to a pregnant mother, even in a crowded train which just started the operation. Foreigners shocked by these sight. These must be real. Amazing, Japan.
@kiritansu

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Those are beautiful stories.

And the resilience and strength of the Japanese people is so wonderful. :cry: :love:

It is perhaps time to remember the stories of Hiroshima and Nagasaki-not the story of the bombs, but the story of the rebuilding. For the Japanese people did not just abandon those cities to the wild when they were bombed flat, and full of radioactive waste.

http://www.pcf.city.hiroshima.jp/kids/KPSH_E/hiroshima_e/sadako_e/subcontents_e/12yomigaeru_1_e.html

Plants sprouting in the burnt plain.
Less than ten days after the A-bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, World War II came to an end. Hiroshima had been completely destroyed by the A-bomb, but gradually electricity, transportation, and other functions were restored. The people collected any unburned materials they could find and began rebuilding their homes and their lives. After the atomic bombing, rumour had it that nothing would grow in Hiroshima for 75 years. Then, when red canna flowers became the first to bloom in the charred rubble, they were a tremendous source of courage and hope. Eventually, Hiroshima residents who had evacuated to the countryside and soldiers who had been away fighting the war came back, and Hiroshima started its long journey toward recovery.

●Children Living in Shacks

They lived in humble dwellings; a few boards, with sheets of tin for walls and a roof. They didn't have enough food to eat or clothes to wear. And yet, free from the constant fear of air raids, free to sleep through the night, and free to play like kids, children quickly recovered their zest for life.
Photo: Stephen Kelen
Courtesy of Hiroshima Municipal Archives
Around February 1946

In 1958, the population of Hiroshima was the same as it had been before the war, and Hiroshima rededicated itself as a Peace City.

Hiroshima today:

http://www.pcf.city.hiroshima.jp/kids/KPSH_E/hiroshima_e/sadako_e/subcontents_e/images_e/17_1.jpg

The Japanese will rebuild, and I hope we all will help, at least a little bit.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Nothing new from TEPCO

IAEA update-It's good to know that there is at least one operating diesel that might keep units 5 & 6 properly in cold shutdown.

Japan Earthquake Update (16 March 2011, 03:55 UTC)
Japanese authorities have informed the IAEA that a fire in the reactor building of unit 4 of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant was visually observed at 20:45 UTC of 15 March. As of 21:15 UTC of the same day, the fire could no longer be observed.

Fire of 14 March

As previously reported, at 23:54 UTC of 14 March a fire had occurred at unit 4. The fire lasted around two hours and was confirmed to be extinguished at 02:00 UTC of 15 March.

Water level in unit 5

Japanese authorities have also informed the IAEA that at 12:00 UTC of 15 March the water level in unit 5 had decreased to 201 cm above the top of the fuel. This was a 40 cm decrease since 07:00 UTC of 15 March. Officials at the plant were planning to use an operational diesel generator in unit 6 to supply water to unit 5.

The IAEA continues to liaise with the Japanese authorities and is monitoring the situation as it evolves.

Japan Earthquake Update (15 March 2011, 22:30 UTC)
Japanese authorities have informed the IAEA that the evacuation of the population from the 20-kilometre zone around Fukushima Daiichi has been successfully completed.

The Japanese authorities have also advised that people within a 30-km radius to take cover indoors. Iodine tablets have been distributed to evacuation centres but no decision has yet been taken on their administration.

The IAEA continues to liaise with the Japanese authorities and is monitoring the situation as it evolves.

Japan Earthquake Update (15 March 2011, 20:35 UTC)
The Japanese government today requested assistance from the IAEA in the areas of environmental monitoring and the effects of radiation on human health, asking for IAEA teams of experts to be sent to Japan to assist local experts. Preparations for these missions are currently under way.

The missions will draw on IAEA resources and may also possibly involve Response and Assistance Network (RANET) and Member States' capabilities.

This development follows the IAEA's offer to Japan of its "Good Offices" - i.e. making available the Agency's direct support and coordination of international assistance.

RANET is a network of resources made available by IAEA Member States that can be offered in the event of a radiation incident or emergency. Coordination of RANET is done by the IAEA within the framework of the Convention on Assistance in the Case of a Nuclear Accident or Radiological Emergency.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The NEI organization seems to have a few more details. This was posted 3 hours ago. Somehow, TEPCO is keeping the water level up in Units 1 & 2 today. No specific info on Unit 3 here.

UPDATE AS OF 9:00 P.M. EDT, TUESDAY, MARCH 15:
At 5:45 am, March 16, Japan Standard Time (4:45 pm EDT, March 15), a fire reignited at Tokyo Electric Power Co.'s Fukushima Daiichi 4 reactor. The fire was extinguished after about two hours, TEPCO said.

TEPCO was planning to battle the fire and provide additional water to cool used nuclear fuel with water dumped from helicopters, but abandoned the plan because a hole in the building's roof is not in close proximity of the used fuel pool.

The company may remove some panels from the top of the reactor containment buildings at reactors 5 and 6 in order to avert a possible buildup of hydrogen in the reactors. Hydrogen buildup caused explosions at reactors 1 and 3.

All of the fuel rods had been moved from reactor 4 to the spent fuel pool due to the maintenance work. About one-third of the fuel rods in reactors 5 and 6 had been removed as part of maintenance and refueling activities.

Seventy percent of the fuel rods Unit 1 and one-third in Unit 2 have been damaged, TEPCO said. The cooling water level in both units is being maintained.

Weather reports indicate that the wind at the Fukushima plant has shifted and is now blowing out to the Pacific.

An earthquake registering 6.1 on the Richter scale struck the Eastern Honshu region of Japan. Hamaoka nuclear plant, about 100 kilometers (62 miles) from the epicenter, continues to operate normally.

May the wind keep blowing over the Pacific.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
What I'm seeing after the Japanese disaster is that people are NATURALLY good. We are not born evil. There have been no cases of looting or price gouging in Japan. Also, China, long to have a history of not liking Japan after the occupation was one of the first nations to send aid and soldiers to help find survivors. The Chinese were impressed with how the Japanese were conducting themselves!

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/15/134567659/china-acts-fast-in-aiding-japan-post-earthquake

And, of course, miracles like this:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/201103...y70yearoldwomanfoundalivexidrssfullworldyahoo

treeloving

Medalist
Thank you so much doris and everybody for info regarding to the incident. In this kind of situation, it delight to see good nature and kindness of the people. I hope with all my heart that the situation will get better.

For anyone who following the nuclear situation you can also follow at Aljazeera live blog

http://blogs.aljazeera.net/live/asia/japans-nuclear-emergency-live-blog

It update the current situation, easy to understand and not use hyperbole language compare to other international news agency.

Best wish to those who are affected and Japanese people. You are not alone.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
So far no updates on TEPCO, IAEA, or NEI today, since the 9 PM EDT update yesterday, and nothing new on the relatively reliable Twitters I'm following or in facebook.

The Daina reports, which used to have radiation info from that site (10 km from Daiichi), only report that all 4 reactors are successfully in cold shutdown, and that outside power is present.

At some point today, there will be an IAEA Daily briefing. When I see it, I'll post it here.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
All 6 reactors were designed by General Electric in the first place. They should clean this mess up.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
TEPCO now has a couple of releases, mostly ones that cover events for which press releases were not posted yesterday. On TV here in the US, it was stated that now 70 workers are on site.

The daily status for 2PM Mar 16th, Tokyo time, which is a rollup of the last four days occurrences. There is some more info about the Daini reactors. And info about the larger problem with simply getting electric power returned to customers. The two radiation events at the boundary of the Daini plant on the 14th and 15th were likely due to events at Daiichi. :

[Nuclear Power Station]
Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station:

Units 1 to 3: shutdown due to earthquake
Units 4 to 6: outage due to regular inspection at the occurrence of
earthquake

*The national government has instructed to evacuate for those local
residents within 20km radius of the site periphery and to remain
indoors for those local residents within 30km radius of the site
periphery.

*Since the value of radioactive materials (iodine, etc) at the site
(outside) measured by monitoring car exceeded the ordinary level,
it was determined that a specific incident stipulated in article 15,
clause 1 occurred (Extraordinary increase of radiation dose at site
boundary).
- 4:17 pm, March 15th at the main gate of the site
- 11:05 pm, March 15th at the main gate of the site

* Unit 1
The explosive sound and white smoke was confirmed near Unit 1 after
the big quake occurred at 3:36pm, March 12th. We have started sea
water injection at 8:20 pm and then boric acid into the reactor.

*Unit 2
At 1:25 pm, March 14th, since the Reactor Core Isolation Cooling System
has failed, it was determined that a specific incident stipulated in
article 15, clause 1 occurred (failure of reactor cooling function).
At 5:17 pm, while the water level in the reactor reached the top of the
fuel rod, we have restarted the water injection with the valve operation.
At approximately 6:14 am, March 15th, the extraordinary sound was
confirmed near the suppression chamber and the pressure inside the
chamber decreased afterwards. It was determined that there is a
possibility that something extraordinary happened in the suppression
chamber. While sea water injection to the reactor continued, TEPCO
employees and workers from other companies not in charge of injection
work started tentative evacuation to a safe location.
Sea water injection to the reactor is still under operation.

*Unit 3
At 6:50 am, March 14th, while water injection to the reactor was under
operation, the pressure in the reactor containment vessel increased to
530 kPa. As a result, at 7:44 am, it was determined that a specific
incident stipulated in article 15, clause 1 occurred (abnormal increase
of the pressure of reactor containment vessel). Afterwards, the pressure
has gradually decreased (as of 9:05 am, 450 kPa).

At approximately 11:01 am, March 14th, an explosion followed by white
smoke occurred near Unit 3. 4 TEPCO employees and 3 workers from other
companies (all of them are conscious) have sustained injuries and they
were already dispatched to the hospital by ambulances.

*Unit 4
At approximately 6:00 am, March 15th, an explosive sound occurred and
the damage in the 5th floor roof of Unit 4 reactor building was
confirmed. At 9:38 am, the fire near the north-west part of 4th floor
of Unit 4 reactor building was confirmed. At approximately 11:00 am,
TEPCO employee confirmed that the fire was off.

At approximately 5:45 am, a TEPCO employee discovered a fire at the
northwest corner of the Nuclear Reactor Building. TEPCO immediately
reported this incident to the fire department and the local government
and prepared to extinguish the fire. However, during an inspection at
approximately 6:15 am, TEPCO staff found no signs of fire.

Fukushima Daini Nuclear Power Station:
Units 1 to 4: shutdown due to earthquake
*The national government has instructed evacuation for those local
residents within 10km radius of the periphery.

*As the radiation dose at the site boundary exceeded the limitation,
it was determined that a specific incident stipulated in article 15,
clause 1 occurred (Extraordinary increase of radiation dose at site
boundary) at 9:58 pm, March 14th and at 0:00 am, March 15th.

*Reactor cooling function was restored and cooling of rectors was
conducted. As a result, all reactors achieved cold shutdown: Unit 1
at 5:00 pm, March 14th, Unit 2 at 6:00 pm, March 14th, Unit 3 at
0:15 pm, March 12th, Unit 4 at 7:15 am, March 15th.

* (Unit 1)
As it is confirmed that the temperature of the Emergency Equipment
Cooling Water System *1 has increased, at 3:20 pm, March 15th, we
stopped the Residual Heat Removal System (B) for the inspection.
Subsequently, failure was detected in the power supply facility
associated with the pumps of the Emergency Equipment Cooling Water
System. At 4:25 pm, March 15th, after replacing the power facility,
the pumps and the Residual Heat Removal System (B) have been
reactivated.

* (Unit 4)
As it is confirmed that the pressure at the outlet of the pumps of
the Emergency Equipment Cooling Water System*1 has been decreased,
at 8:05 pm, March 15th, we stopped the Residual Heat Removal System
(B) for the inspection. Subsequently, failure was detected in the
power supply facility associated with the pumps of the Emergency
Equipment Cooling Water System. At 9:25 pm, March 15th, after
replacing the relevant facility, the pumps and the Residual Heat
Removal System (B) have been reactivated.

*1:emergency water system in which cooling water (pure water) circulates
which exchanged the heat with sea water in order to cool down bearing
pumps and/or heat exchangers etc.

Kashiwazaki Kariwa Nuclear Power Station:
Units 1, 5, 6, 7: normal operation
Units 2 to 4: outage due to regular inspection

[Thermal Power Station]
Hirono Thermal Power Station Units 2 and 4: shutdown due to earthquake
Hitachinaka Thermal Power Station Unit 1: shutdown due to earthquake
Kashima Thermal Power Station Units 2, 3, 5, 6: shutdown due to earthquake
Ohi Thermal Power Station Unit 2: shutdown due to earthquake
Higashi-Ohgishima Thermal Power Station Unit 1: shutdown due to earthquake

[Hydro Power Station]
* All the stations have been restored.

[Transmission System, etc.]
All substation failed due to the earthquake have been restored.

[Blackout in TEPCO's Service Area]
Total of about 5,100 households are out of power.
Tokyo: 0
Kanagawa Pref.: 0
Tochigi Pref.: 0
Chiba Pref.: 0
Saitama Pref: 0
Gunma Pref.: 0
Ibaraki Pref:5,100
Yamanashi Pref: 0
Shizuoka Pref: 0 (east of Fuji River)

[Supply and Demand Status within TEPCO's Service Area to Secure Stable
Power Supply]
Backup supply from Shinshinano Conversion Station: 600MW
Backup supply from Sakuma Conversion Station: 300MW
Backup supply from Higashi Shimizu Conversion Station: 100MW
Backup supply from Kitahon Interconnection Facility: 600MW

Considering the critical balance of our power supply capacity and
expected power demand forward, in order to avoid unexpected blackout,
TEPCO has implemented rolling blackout (planned blackout alternates
from one area to another) since yesterday. We will make our utmost to
secure the stable power supply as early as possible.
For customers who will be subject to rolling blackout, please be
prepared for the announced blackout periods. Also for customers who
are not subject to blackouts, TEPCO appreciates your continuous
cooperation in reducing electricity usage by avoiding using unnecessary
lighting and electrical equipment.

[Others]
Please do NOT touch cut-off electric wires.
In order to prevent fire, please make sure to switch off the electric
appliances such as hair drier and to shut down the breaker of distribution
board when you leave your house.
For the customer who has in-house power generation, please secure fuel for
generator.

and more details about the fire at Unit 4:

At approximately 5:45 am, a TEPCO employee discovered a fire at
the northwest corner of the Nuclear Reactor Building while transporting
a battery to the central control room of Unit 4 of Fukushima Daiichi
Nuclear Power Station.
TEPCO immediately reported this incident to the fire department and
the local government. In addition, TEPCO also contacted related parties
about this incident and began immediate preparations to extinguish
the fire. (previously announced)

However, during an inspection at approximately 6:15 am, TEPCO staff found
no signs of fire. The area will be kept under strict surveillance.

And an older yet release on the incident that occurred at Unit 4, followed by the rise in radiation, followed by the evacuation of all but 50 workers:

At approximately 6:00 today, an abnormal noise began emanating from nearby
the pressure suppression chamber of Fukushima Dai-ichi Power Station.
Given that the pressure within this chamber had decreased, it was believed
that this was an indication that an abnormality had arisen. From this
point on, while water injection operations are still underway, the
temporary transfer to a safe place of TEPCO employees and workers from
other companies not directly involved with this work has begun. Currently,
at Fukushima Dai-ichi Power Station, the remaining workers are doing their
best to secure the safety and security of the site.

The parameters for Unit 2's nuclear containment vessel and the containment
vessel show no significant change.

We are aware of and sincerely apologize for the great distress and
inconvenience this incident has caused to not just those inhabitants
residing in the immediate vicinity but also society at large.

I missed this on youtube from yesterday:

IAEA Director General's Briefing from March 15th, discussing the fire in the spent fuel pool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZB8Br3T2Sk

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
All 6 reactors were designed by General Electric in the first place. They should clean this mess up.

So you are saying if I sell you a car and several years later you crash it into a house that I should come clean up your mess ?

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukushima_I_Nuclear_Power_Plant

Fukushina Daiichi Units 1, 2 and 6 were supplied by GE.

Units 3 and 5 were supplied by Toshiba.

Unit 4 was supplied by Hitachi.

On site construction was done by Kajima for all units.

All the plants are managed by Tokyo Electric.

Daiichi Reactor 1 was built in 1967, and brought on line in 1971. Design by Ebasco.
Daiichi Reactor 2 was built in 1969, and brought on line in 1974. Design by Ebasco.
Daiichi Reactor 3 was built in 1970, and brought on line in 1976. Design by Toshiba.
Daiichi Reactor 4 was built in 1972, and brought on line in 1978. Design by Hitachi.
Daiichi Reactor 5 was built in 1973, and brought on line in 1978. Design by Toshiba.
Daiichi Reactor 6 was built in 1972, and brought on line in 1979. Design by Ebasco.

They were all relatively old, and had not been brought up to date as much as one would like, so the TV said.

I read that the reactors were a kind called Mark 1, which has been criticized in recent years because in order to make a smaller and less expensive reactor, they used a smaller containment structure. The article I read (can't remember where) said that in all fairness, one can't know whether even a more massive containment structure could have withstood what happened on Friday. But there has been criticism of this style of reactor, and in the U.S., such reactors have received certain modifications and retro-fittings that may not have been performed on the ones in Japan.

Doris, please correct me if I've said anything inaccurate.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well, strictly speaking, the reactors, although not of current design and quite old, and not up to date in the way that US older reactors have been updated since Three Mile Island in 1979, did withstand the Level 9 earthquake and tsunami, including the containment structures.

What didn't withstand it was the diesel backup system, because it was planned for a tsunami height of 20 feet and experienced a wave height of 30 feet (peak to trough-I don't have the exact height for sure of the wave as it hit Daiichi-if anyone knows, I would like to know too).

In fact, this is an issue in some ways that the US has been dealing with since Sept. 11th-there used to be a great deal of checking, planning, regulation and so forth for the reactor part of nuclear plants, but not as much for the explicitly non-nuclear parts of the site (turbines, diesel generators, cooling structures, and such). Rules there were the same as they were for normal power plants. Since Sept. 11, these areas in the US have been upgraded, and subjected to much greater scrutiny, but perhaps not in Japan?

In any case, I wish the same scrutiny and regulation were done at normal power plants as well.

This letter was written today (not by me-a good friend forwarded it to me) Among other things it describes what went on in the US:

> Daniel E. O'Neill, Esq.
> Boeggeman George & Corde, P.C.
>
> 1 Water Street, Suite 425
>
> White Plains, New York 10601
>
>
>
> [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
>
> (914) 761-2252
>
> Fax (914) 761-5211
>
>
> ----------------------------Confidentiality
> Notice---------------------------
> This message is intended only for the individual or entity to which it
> is addressed and may contain information that is privileged,
> confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you
> are not the intended recipient, or the agent responsible for delivering
> the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
> dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly
> prohibited, and you are requested to please notify us by telephone,
> e-mail or fax, and return the original message to us at Boeggeman,
> George & Corde, P.C., with the above address. Although this message
> and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or defect that
> might affect any computer system into which it is received and opened,
> it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that is virus free,
> and no responsibility is accepted by this firm for any loss or damage
> arising in any way.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> From: Arthur J. Kremer [mailto:[email protected]]
> Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:22 PM
> To: NY A.R.E.A.
> Subject: Japan and New York's Nuclear Power Plants
>
>
>
> Dear New York AREA Member:
>
>
>
> As dramatic and relentless efforts continue to overcome the challenges
> facing three nuclear power plants in Japan, well-funded anti-nuclear
> activists are predictably using the disaster to again call for the
> closure of New York's nuclear energy facilities, notably Indian Point.
> This ill-advised action would be a serious mistake to New York's
> economy, environment, and even public health.
>
>
>
> The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission has already thoroughly evaluated
> seismic issues at all U.S. nuclear power plants. In fact, every U.S.
> nuclear plant is designed to withstand the maximum projected earthquake
> in the geographic area of each site location.
>
>
>
> We should keep in mind that the Japanese earthquake, the fifth strongest
> in recorded history, is not what damaged the plant. Rather, it was the
> resulting tsunami, which swept away diesel fuel supplies for the back-up
> power generators and damaged water intake structures that were needed
> for the automatic plant shutdown relative to cooling systems. The
> Fukishima Daiichi plants were designed for a tidal wave up to a maximum
> of 22 feet high and not the 33 foot high wave that hit on Friday. The
> areas of New York where nuclear plants are situated do not, and in all
> likelihood cannot, experience similar tsunamis.
>
>
>
> In 2008, a panel of highly renowned, independent experts evaluated 64
> safety issues at Indian Point, including seismic design, and found the
> plant to be very safe. Under intense scrutiny, Indian Point continues to
> earn the highest safety ratings from the NRC.
>
>
>
> Furthermore, since 9-11, nuclear plants including Indian Point have been
> upgraded to factor for many scenarios, including a loss of back-up
> power. New practices, protocols and equipment have been employed since
> then to factor for the loss of back-up power at nuclear plants.
>
>
>
> To close New York's nuclear power plants, which provide 30 percent of
> the state's electricity, for even a few weeks would lead to serious
> degradation of electric system reliability and in fact create new
> dangers for the public. The resulting electricity price hikes, at a time
> when oil and gasoline prices are soaring, would be a one-two financial
> punch for hard working New Yorkers - including thousands of employees
> who work in the region. It would also lead to greater reliance on fossil
> fuels and higher pollution.
>
>
>
> Like you, our thoughts and prayers are with the people of Japan at this
> time of tragedy. There will be much to do to ensure the country recovers
> and that we learn many lessons from this disaster to better prepare and
> protect.
>
>
>
> As nuclear power issues will certainly now be prominently in the news
> for some time, we respectfully ask that you consider the facts and not
> be unduly influenced by rhetoric and the political opportunism of some
> anti-nuclear activists in the weeks and months ahead.
>
>
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Arthur J. Kremer
>
> Chairman
>
> New York AREA