Thoughts on the Japanese tragedy and the World Figure Skating Championships | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Thoughts on the Japanese tragedy and the World Figure Skating Championships

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Besides being supremely talented and hard working, the elite skaters we know and love are most of all young people with hearts not quite so jaded. Theirs is a close community, their rivals sometimes being thier closest friends. To most of them, fans' support and appreciation is a prime motivation greatly appreciated in turn. Japan is currently one of the most significant skating nations, providing us with both some of the best skaters of today and the most enthusiastic fans in the world. The current tragedies in Japan must have really shaken up all competitive skaters. They have to deal with all kinds of emotions, concerned about their friends, fans and disaster victims as well as the uncertainties about their training and the last and most important competition of the year. They are skaters. They need to skate. Skating is their life and what they do. I say let them skate, in Worlds and in any fundraising event. That is how they can express themselves, how they can try to lift the spirits of their loving fans many of whom are going through extremely difficult time, and how they can give themselves and contribute to the recovery effort in Japan with their hearts and talents.

I have hoped and continue to hope the World Championships 2011 will proceed with a reasonable delay so these young caring talented people can go out to do their best with added intensity and purpose. Worlds 2011 will be a very special and emotional event in figure skating history. The practical and financially focused older generation running the ISU should not deprive the real hearts and souls of the sport and their fans.

ITA and I signed the petition - yet even so, I think for the Japanese skaters to compete at Worlds right now could be overwhelming. I hope it all turns out exactly the way you put it with all of them rising to the occasion, like Rochette at the Olympics.

mot

On the Ice
Nobu's interview at his graduation

Nobunari Oda graduated from Kansai University today and gave a short interview to the college newspaper. http://www.boom-sports.com/archives/51969179.html

(My translation below)

- congratulations on your graduation.

N: Thank you. I am happy that I have graduated, but over all I've got a mixed feeling (as it took place) at a time like this.

- Were you teary (during the ceremony)?

N: No, I was OK.

- Were you originally planning to attend the graduation ceremony today?

N: The Worlds was going to be held around this time, but I was told it has been postponed and it would not be held in April either. So my family, coach and wife are all at home now.

- What was the most memorable thing happened while you were at uni?

N: The Olympics. I spent 6 years, a very long time at the university. I learned there are a lot to learn. I am sure whatever I learned during my university days will be useful, and I would like to make the most of them in my life.

- What made you decide to do post-grad?

N: I am not sure what I am going to do in the future (after retiring from competitive skating). So, for now, I would like to continue skating and study at the graduate school, and then figure out what to do. I am thinking of studying something related to figure skating.

- About the Worlds in March being cancelled...

N: I continue practising in Japan, while being in close contact with my coach in Canada. The Worlds has been postponed, but I do what I can do for now. I think it was inevitable it was cancelled.

- Are you thinking about doing something for those who are affected by the disasters, such as being involved in charity events?

N: Of course. All skaters feel like doing something. What we want to do is to thread those feelings together to make things happen.

- I am sure the Worlds in Tokyo meant something special for you...

N: It did. But I understand it is difficult to hold it in Tokyo right now.

- No concrete decision's been made whether there is going to be the Worlds...

N: I am keeping a good form. I will be OK no matter when the Worlds is rescheduled to.

- If it is to be held in October, that will affect the next season's programmes...

N: Even so, I will work together with my coach, and prepare myself to give my best performance then.

---

Joesits, please refer to http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...ht=#post556556 for other Japanese skater's comments.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Oda on his Graduation. Nice to hear some good news as life goes on amidst the turmoil in Japan.

Thank you mot for the translation, much appreciated.

mot

On the Ice
Team Japan would like to hold a charity show

According to Japanese broadsheet Asahi, Team Japan are considering holding a charity show.

http://www.asahi.com/sports/update/0319/NGY201103190004.html

(Translated by me)

Figure skater Takahiko Kozuka confirmed that he and other Japanese skaters due to participate in the World Figure Skating Championships, which was to be held in Tokyo but cancelled due to the earthquake, have been considering holding a charity ice show and organising a campaign to collect donations. He attended the graduation ceremony at Chukyo University in Nagoya today.

After the earthquake, he contacted Mao Asada, Daisuke Takahashi and others in Team Japan to discuss, as a figure skater, what they can do to help and uplift the spirits of those who are affected, and they confirmed that they'd like to be involved. Details are to be firmed up.

As for the rescheduling of the World Championships, which is under consideration, he stated that he could not comment until the official decision is announced, but he would continue practising and preparing for it.

Last edited:
When will SPEEDY'S REIGN BE OVER? Thanks in advance for the answer.

Cinquanta was re-elected without opposition in 2010 to his fifth four-year term. So he will serve until 2014, at which time he will be 74. As far as I know the ISU does not have any term limits or age provisions. Mr. C. has not said anything about retiring.

Cinquanta also serves on the International Olympic Committee. Members of that organization age out at 80.

Nice to hear about the Japanese Men. Interesting what Taka had to say about rescheduling Worlds. I am sure that is what all the skaters are feeling. Armchair critics just have to wait for something official.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Nice to hear about the Japanese Men. Interesting what Taka had to say about rescheduling Worlds. I am sure that is what all the skaters are feeling. Armchair critics just have to wait for something official.

They all say similar words because that's what they can say, which does not necessarily reflect all their feelings. The fact that they all keep themselves ready for Worlds tells me they wish for it to happen, and not in October, cynicism about which is not only obvious and logical to deduce but has also been expressed by some skaters, however resersedly and diplomatically.

Fans, that's us, don't have to be so reserved and diplomatic in speaking up and having their collective back. We can lend a voice and credence to their genuine wishes. Charlie White has applauded Scott Russell's article and some actual participants in the sport have signed the petition while none of the skaters explicitly supports the idea of Worlds in October. They say they await and prepare for ISU's decision because that's all they can say and do.

Kudos to skaters for taking the initiative to do what they can and want to do - skating and helping. They don't need Speedy's decision and approval to act on their true desires to do their part in this tragic and distressed time by doing what they do best.

chloepoco

Medalist
They all say similar words because that's what they can say, which does not necessarily reflect all their feelings. The fact that they all keep themselves ready for Worlds tells me they wish for it to happen, and not in October, cynicism about which is not only obvious and logical to deduce but has also been expressed by some skaters, however resersedly and diplomatically.

Fans, that's us, don't have to be so reserved and diplomatic in speaking up and having their collective back. We can lend a voice and credence to their genuine wishes. Charlie White has applauded Scott Russell's article and some actual participants in the sport have signed the petition while none of the skaters explicitly supports the idea of Worlds in October. They say they await and prepare for ISU's decision because that's all they can say and do.

Kudos to skaters for taking the initiative to do what they can and want to do - skating and helping. They don't need Speedy's decision and approval to act on their true desires to do their part in this tragic and distressed time by doing what they do best.

Or maybe Kozuka really doesn't want to say anything?

I agree with SkateFiguring. First, the suggestion that fans should just sit quietly and wait for the ISU to tell us "officially" what we ought to think -- nuts to that. :)

Second, I have not read even a single skater say that he or she wants Worlds to be postponed until October. A few (Charlie White, Alissa Czisny) have come right out and said that they don't like this option, while the majority have said diplomatically only that they will continue to prepare for any eventuality.

I hope mot and other Japanese fans will keep us posted on the Japanese skaters' benefit and how we can help. This is an example of the kind of pressure I mean. They are trying to stay in shape for a possible Worlds somewhere and also to help their country in more material ways. God bless them. I guess it would be harder NOT to do something in this situation.

mot

On the Ice
We don't know whether silence of some or many skaters regarding the Worlds in October is either diplomacy or evidence of trust they have in their federations and / or the ISU. Perhaps they think there are other issues involved in the health of the sport which is beyond their own immediate interests or even comprehension? Or they may be just very careful not to upset someone they should not upset. Both interpretations are possible. We simply don't know and we cannot speak for the silent skaters.

Nonetheless, it doesn't mean that we fans cannot voice our opinions and preferences.

My attitude is - as I acknowledge my own ignorance on the complexity of how to organise and hold the Worlds and what are at the stake, I decide to trust the JSF and ISU and leave the decision to them. If they decide to relocate the event somewhere in Europe, I will dig deep and try to go and see it. If it's to be held elsewhere, I will cheer in front of TV. If it's to be cancelled all together, I will weep for a few days then start looking forward to the next season.

Last edited:
My attitude is - as I acknowledge my own ignorance on the complexity of how to organise and hold the Worlds and what are at the stake, I decide to trust the JSF and ISU and leave the decision to them. If they decide to relocate the event somewhere in Europe, I will dig deep and try to go and see it. If it's to be held elsewhere, I will cheer in front of TV. If it's to be cancelled all together, I will weep for a few days then start looking forward to the next season.

Actually, I agree with that, too. As much as we might wish for the ISU to roll up its sleeves make like little engine that could, they know their own limitations.

If Cinquanta says that under the circumstances the ISU is not capable of getting a championship together in a reasonable time frame, then we have no choice but to believe that indeed it is not.

Mot, that's a very good way of putting it. In many ways, this is a no-win situation. Nothing will be as good as Worlds on the 20th in Tokyo would have been, with people in Sendai and Miyagi sitting in their tidy living rooms watching on TV or computer, and the quiet ocean murmuring outside. Every other possibility is a loss. But we have only the other possibilities. Whatever happens will have to be the step forward that we hope for. Somehow skating will recover. Baseball and football have had strikes and recovered, despite all the asterisks in the record books. What really matters is that Japan recover sooner rather than later.

Now, if we fans want to complain about the situation or support one solution or another, there's nothing wrong with that. As we've said before, this is something we can wrap our minds around. Have at it, fellow fans! Dissent is healthy. We know we'll support the skaters no matter what happens next.

I agree with SkateFiguring. First, the suggestion that fans should just sit quietly and wait for the ISU to tell us "officially" what we ought to think -- nuts to that. :)

Second, I have not read even a single skater say that he or she wants Worlds to be postponed until October. A few (Charlie White, Alissa Czisny) have come right out and said that they don't like this option, while the majority have said diplomatically only that they will continue to prepare for any eventuality.
Can you back this up with evidence or is it just hearsay? Did Czisny and White suggest what they really wanted?

Do you really think that the Heads-of-Federations are not sayingg anything directly to the ISU on what he should decide?

What is it about a rush decision which is so important? Are we sure that there will be TV involved?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Can you back this up with evidence or is it just hearsay? Did Czisny and White suggest what they really wanted?

um, Joe, yes they did. There are many links in this and the other threads with their comments. I believe Alissa's was in her website's journal, and Charlie White's was on twitter and in the press.