Sasha's Journal | Golden Skate

Sasha's Journal

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Stumbled onto this. I found a few things interesting. (1) that she considers Michelle to be one of her strongest competitors. I'd love to see the two of them, on top of their game, go at it. Talk about a fabulous competition, IMO. (2) She makes many references to food - and much of it high calorie, not good for you food. I'm sure she burns many calories with the amount of training she does, but I find it odd that she eats as much crap as she seems to indicate. Many an empty calorie do not a strong athlete make.

skatepixie

On the Ice
Im not going to say what I want to say. Actually, I am. Ill just say it nicer than I want to. Hope that works for u. :)

No one, at least no one who isnt majorly messed up (ie orthorexia) or very ill and therefore required to eat that way, ever has no treats. Perhaps she feels she needs to defend herself against people who assume that all small skaters have issues. Perhaps she doesnt eat much of it.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
skatepixie -

Honestly, I'm not sure if I'm reading your post right, but are you insinuating that I'm implying that Sasha has an eating disorder? I hope I'm wrong, because that was not my intent at all. Let me explain where I'm coming from. I'm a triathlete. I hang out with triathletes. Triathletes are a notoriously anal group of people who are, for the most part, very careful about what they put into their bodies. This is all despite the fact that a 20 mile run will burn around 2,000 calories. I, myself, eat very few sweets because I eat to fuel my body, and because not every calorie is the same. Of course, I eat some crap, but not much.

Hope I'm not jumping to conclusions with regards to your post, but regardless, I hope you understand why Sasha's journal entries surprised me.

tharrtell

skatepixie

On the Ice
no. Im saying that she might be reassuring people that she doesnt have one, because its certainly something people say whenever they see a small girl. (Trust me on this one...on of my firends is very tiny and was always called the "school anorexic", even though she was perfectly fine.)

I doubt that Sasha eats a large quantity of the foods shes eating and she most likely has a *very* high metabilism.

I doubt that it will affect her skating at all...

skatepixie

On the Ice
no. Im saying that she might be reassuring people that she doesnt have one, because its certainly something people say whenever they see a small girl. (Trust me on this one...on of my firends is very tiny and was always called the "school anorexic", even though she was perfectly fine.)

I doubt that Sasha eats a large quantity of the foods shes eating and she most likely has a *very* high metabilism.

I doubt that it will affect her skating at all...

Smiley0884

Rinkside
I agree with skatepixie. Just because Sasha makes all that delicious food, doesn't mean she eats it all! I'm sure her family is more than willing to help her eat those cookies. Besides as a dancer, I sometimes splurge and eat some fatty foods once a month (or sometimes two or three times a month ;) ) But I don't think Sasha has anything more than a small sample. AFAIK I read somewhere that Sasha drink only water most of the time. If she's having about 10 glasses a day those calories are going out of her system quickly, espcially if you factor in her training regimine.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Okay, I get it. Smiley, I might be wrong about this, but I don't believe drinking water increases the metabolic process, does it?

Smiley0884

Rinkside
Drinking water dilutes all the fats and calories and makes it go out of your system faster. That's why I ALWAYS drink water. Sometimes if I sneak I twinkie, I'll counter it with an apple and 2 glasses of water ;)

mpal2

Final Flight
I haven't heard anything about water diluting the fat and calories, but I do know that drinking a lot of water makes me feel more full so I'm less likely to snack. I don't know for sure, but it's either mental due to the fact that I'm swallowing something or I have just stuffed every digestive system so full of water that nothing else will fit. ;)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I don't think Sasha has weight problems - not an ounce of fat on the girl - she is also young and active. If she eats a few "goodies" now and then it's not going to hurt her. I am sure she sticks to a regimen for her training. Most skaters do. This sounds like a hobby for her.

ballerinagrl

Rinkside
Just thought it might be worth adding that when I was Sasha's age, I was with the British Royal Ballet and I ate SO badly, SO much junk, I can barely believe it now :confused:

We had nutritionists going on at us the whole time, but I must have felt their wisdom was meant for other people, not me! I practically lived on chocolate and ice cream.

Some 12 years on, I look back and feel I was an idiot for treating my body that way, but I guess I was young.

Now, as an 'adult' ballerina, I have treats maybe once a week, and eat mega sensibly - not to keep my figure, for I've been lucky in never having a weight issue - but simply because all the education about what different nutrients do for you finally sunk in when I was about 25.

Better late than never, I guess :laugh:

I get the feeling Sasha is already eating a million times better than I was at her age ...

Best, Lilia

ballerinagrl

Rinkside
Just thought it might be worth adding that when I was Sasha's age, I was with the British Royal Ballet and I ate SO badly, SO much junk, I can barely believe it now :confused:

We had nutritionists going on at us the whole time, but I must have felt their wisdom was meant for other people, not me! I practically lived on chocolate and ice cream.

Some 12 years on, I look back and feel I was an idiot for treating my body that way, but I guess I was young.

Now, as an 'adult' ballerina, I have treats maybe once a week, and eat mega sensibly - not to keep my figure, for I've been lucky in never having a weight issue - but simply because all the education about what different nutrients do for you finally sunk in when I was about 25.

Better late than never, I guess :laugh:

Best, Lilia