Skaters' reactions and strategies for delayed Worlds 2011 | Golden Skate

Skaters' reactions and strategies for delayed Worlds 2011

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Last edited:
Thanks for the links.

It seems strange that Phil Hersh feels that canceling worlds would have "showed respect for the Japoanese people," but that he himself intends to cover it, business as usual. I guess it is other people who should stop doing their jobs to show respect.

I hope Jason Dungjen is able to find a way to jet back and forth to be with Alissa. Watching them interact at the boards, it is clear what a settling influence he is for her.

All those speaking about the change of venue, have that right to do so. The change has taken place. They are first and foremost competitive skaters.. This is a competition. They don't have to compete if they do not want to. That is their prerogative, but if they do, and with that attitude, I believe they will be less competitive.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Today is the anniversary of Daisuke Takahashi's historic win in figure skating world championships, becoming the first Japanese man to win the title.

I hope mot, genki, and other Japanese members of this board will give us some update of how the Japanese skaters are doing these days and how they are preparing for the rescheduled Worlds.

Takahashi's public practice a few hours before the quake.. Quads?

Also belated Happy Birthday to Dai who turned 25 on March 16.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Thanks for the video link. I was looking for it. Kurt went down to CS for the interviews and I think the one with Patrick will be aired during Worlds. Of course all these were done before the Japan disasters and Krall's most recent comment was posted up thread.

I always knew his training with Krall and Nichol was much more holistic than with Laws even though Krall is a specialty coach. Very interesting to hear about the regiment, including the mental aspects of the preparation as well as the application of scientific principles. Krall is a very scientific technical coach and I would very much like to hear Nichol's comment on her imput on the performance side. Also this is the one year Patrick is devoted to his training and soon he will be in University so I wonder how that will be incorporated.

I LOL at Kurt's last comment. Patrick has said missing an Olympic medal has made him a better skater. He still has Sochi to look forward to and I hope he gets a medal there and we don't need to know he would be a bitter but better person.

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mark Ladwig:
the additional time can only help all competitors polish up their programs, so I have high hopes for a lot of great performances at Worlds in Moscow.

I really hope Mark Ladwig proves to be right! :yes:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
At least one of the skaters has a different way of dealing with the Worlds' re-schedule:

Oda puts nuptials on hold to skate at rescheduled worlds

I assume this is the formal wedding after the civil registration last year.

I hope people like Nadine and Hirsh wouldn't think less of him for not cancelling his graduation and the wedding. Kozuka, too, just graduated from university.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I would be happy if Oda skated two terrific programs and won the WC this season. I think he has been a better skater than what his medal count shows and although I have no idea how long he intends to compete winning in Moscow would be a nice way to windup his career.

Not sure who will win but it feels like Chan and any of the three Japanese Men can make the podium.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
CBC of Canada had scheduled to broadcast Worlds live today so it aired a skating program anyway about Worlds 2011, including programs from Torino last year. There were interviews with Don Jackson Michael Slipchuk, Christy Krall, Patrick Chan, and Ryan Bradley. The videos are up on CBC site.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
We are sorry, this video cannot be streamed to you if you live outside of Canada
...:cry:

I hope someone will put the interviews up on youtube.

I was surprised that Kurt Browning interviewed Ryan Bradley.

Last edited:
Most TV fans in the US do not support Figure Skating financially. They want their art as a Freebee. After all PBS doesn't charge for its complete Operas and Ballets, but boy, do they hit you constantly for donations.

In this connection, and thinking more about sport than art, I don't believe Universal Sport will show all of the contestants at Worlds. I'm basing that statement on watching 4CC on unisport. For example, I can expect to see the 3 Japanese boys and girls, Alissa and Rachael, Yuna, Bradley, not sure about the newbees unless they look really super, Joubert, Amodio, oh, you get the drift of where I'm going.

4CC had an hour for the Ladies and an hour for the Men. Given their penchant for other sports than figure skating, I don't expect more than an hour for each of those at Worlds. Pray for your favorites to make the last Group to Skate.

Ice Dance has a top American team in the mix and it will show them and their top competitors. How much more? Pechalat and Borzat not a chance.

Pairs, may get a tumble if Y/C do well in the Short, but not the whole competion.

And SPs, that Artsy segment may be very limited.

The above is my prediction for seeing Worlds 2011 on TV for Americans. I don't know have any predictions for showing Worlds from other countries.

mot

On the Ice
I hope mot, genki, and other Japanese members of this board will give us some update of how the Japanese skaters are doing these days and how they are preparing for the rescheduled Worlds.

Hello

I've posted this on the different board a few days ago, so some of you may have read this already... but here we go.

http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/11...2333002-n1.htm

Translated by me;

Hearing the news that the alternative location for the Worlds has been decided, Japanese skaters and coaches show their eagerness to compete.

Murakami, who has shown great improvement this season and will compete at the World Championships for the first time, said, 'it's my first time to be in Russia so I cannot imagine how it is like to be there. However, I am very excited. We've got enough time to prepare for it well.' She seemed to be looking forward to the big event.

Nobuo Sato, a coach of both Asada and Kozuka, said with optimism, 'one month is just about enough for peaking again. Moscow is not too far and thus it is slightly easier (than any other candidate locations).'

ETA: Here's another article - Kanako's making the most of the postponement. :)

http://sankei.jp.msn.com/sports/news/110326/oth11032618300011-n1.htm

(I skip the bit explaining the Worlds been relocated & rescheduled, etc)

Upon announcement of new dates and location, Mao Asada expressed her determination (to win), 'I have now the set goal to work hard to give all I've got.' Nobuo Sato, who coaches both Asada and Takahiko Kozuka, said, 'One month is just about enough to peak again. We'll be busy from now on.'

Kanako Murakami, who is going to the Worlds for the first time, changed her boots which were wearing out, as soon as the postponement of the even was announced. She said this has removed a concern.

(...)
---

BTW, some members of Kansai University Skating Club stood in front of Takatsuki Station in Osaka with a donation box, appealing for the passers-by to donate money for the victims of the earthquake and tsunami yesterday - including Nobunari Oda, Satsuki Muramoto, Takeshi Honda (coach), Yamato Tamura (coach).
Nana Takeda also did the same in Tokyo with those belong to the same management agency as hers.

Last edited:

mot

On the Ice
Some overlaps - but here are official statements by Miki, Mao and Takahiko published in IMG Japan's site (their agent), traslated by me.

https://www.imgjapan.com/news/?page=news_detail&nws_code=405

Miki Ando

I regret that the Worlds are not going to be held in Japan, but I'd like to thank Russian federation for holding the event instead, with such a short notice. I will keep concentrating on my every day practice.

I will prepare for the Worlds in order to show the people in the world my best performance of the season there.

I am determined to work hard every day until the Worlds, encouraged by the positive attitude and smiles of many Japanese people (even though they are having difficulties times).

Mao Asada

Things are still unsettled and difficult in Japan right now. But, as the Worlds have been confirmed to be held, I have now the set goal to work hard to give all I've got, as someone representing Japan. I pray for the reconstruction of the areas badly damaged by the disasters, and I am determined to give a performance that will give hope and power to Japan.

Kozuka Takahiko

I have been thinking what I can do (to help the situation Japan and its people are facing now). It is now decided that the Worlds are to be held in Russia, I will prepare for it and work hard in the remaining one month.

skfan

Final Flight
thank you, mot, for the helpful translations.

i am sure many hearts will be rooting extra hard for the japanese team in light of recent events. i myself am torn between feeling irked and feeling appreciative of cinquanta's 'special treatment' remark, with regards to the japanese delegate. i am not quoting him word for word, but i'm sure people have seen that remark in print.

if mao wins, or miki wins, i want it to be crystal clear that zero special treatment entered into the equation, and if yeonah wins i hope that's very clear cut also. i am sure speedy meant well and is only recognizing how difficult it has been for JSF and everyone from japan, including the skaters and their coaches, but it just rubs me the wrong way.

on the other hand, clear cut results usually mean there's a big drop off between first place and 2nd place, 2nd place and 3rd place, and i would like to see everyone do well. this year i love many skaters' long programs--carolina kostner's, for instance.

oh the heck with it. i just want a great competition--i want to see at least mao, miki, and yeonah skate their absolute best--especially because i like yeonah AND mao. and since yeonah is skating giselle and probably bulletproof in shows, there might not be another performance of arirang to look forward to. and if there's controversy about the scoring, well, that's par for the course, even in years without earthquake and tsunami having caused Worlds to be moved.

genki

On the Ice
Hi Mot:

Thanks a lot for translation. I read it in Japanese, but I hardly have time to translate it.
I did not come to this forum too much, because I have been so busy following the development in a Japanese Nuclear Plant.
I am trying to give as accurate info as possible to my family/relatives/friends from American side.

I also like the message from Dai. He gave message to the effect that we can get over this calamity with cooperation and solidarity among all Japanese people.
I agree. Seeing it from US, I am so much impressed with Japanese people's patience, team work and fighting spirit.

Can you believe that when they had only one rice ball a day to eat in a shelter, they meticulously divide scant food equality to everybody there!!
In a week, some shelters were already organized by groups, group leaders and the leader who oversees all operation of the shelter.
Good for them!! I feel very proud of my people and I believe strongly that they we will make a spectacular recovery just like we successfully became the world economic power from the ashes of World War II.

Please send your prayer to Japan.

Thanks.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
genki, I hope you will contribute to the Japanese Nuclear thread in the Le Cafe folder, if you have time-I post updates several times a day, but I don't read Japanese, and so I can only access sources that exist in English translations.

I hope a more adequate food supply is getting to those in shelters these days?

genki

On the Ice
Hi Dorispulaski

Yes, food supply has increased. Thank good, but not the situation of a plant.

I will be a long hard battle.
I will go to La cafe now.

Thanks