Skating as art | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Skating as art

janetfan

Match Penalty
It has always been my experience that New Yorkers are polite to Intl tourists/travelers as opposed to each other or especially American tourists.

I spent years entertaining foreign business travelers in NYC and typically their reactions were similar to senioritas.

Not as much when the "Bob and Betty" from the Mid-West came to New York. I used to hear complaint after complaint, my favorite being "we just made it down to the platform and do you think the damned subway train waited for us? :rolleye:

When Bob would complain and say that would never happen in Ames, Iowa I would politely respond with "I didn't know they had a subway in Ames."

He would say, "well you know what I mean."

He was right and I did know what he meant but since he was a client he was spared my famous sarcasm ;)

Think of it this way, "you can take the boy out of Iowa but you can never take the Iowa out of the boy."

Last edited:
I still think of myself as a New Yorker although I now live across the Hudson. I think New Yorkers are so used to struggling with the complexities of mass transit (especially bad subway signage) and fast-moving crowds that we have compassion for visitors who are trying to deal with the city for the first time. Many if not most New Yorkers were born somewhere else and remember how hard it was at first. Anyway, we love to give directions to lost-looking strangers! Welcome, Seniorita! Have a great visit!

This may seem like bias and it probably is but legal wealthy immigrants are complaining about the Americans before their first class jet even lands.

I think that the denser the population, the more rude you have to be. In a dense population you must be prepared to hold your own and push back, or you will be pushed aside.

Out in the countryside, where your nearest neighbor is five miles away, you are actually pleased, rather than annoyed, to encounter other people.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Welcome to the USA seniorita! Are you staying in NYC the whole time, or are you planning to travel around? If so, where?

I think that the denser the population, the more rude you have to be. In a dense population you must be prepared to hold your own and push back, or you will be pushed aside.

Out in the countryside, where your nearest neighbor is five miles away, you are actually pleased, rather than annoyed, to encounter other people.

Sometimes, though, living close together forces people to be polite. The Japanese are famously courteous because of their population density. Politeness assures that a spat won't end up causing much worse, and it gives an extra layer of privacy besides. The Brits used to be well-known for their reserve for the same reason. Whereas in isolated areas, people might forget how to censor themselves and might speak their minds no matter what. Just a thought.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Hey, I dont know many people in Europe who would see you with a map and offer help without you asking it, it is amazing!
It took me a while to learn the tipping rules and do the maths, but now it is ok!
And Taxis are very cheap contrary to European big capitals!
Welcome to the USA seniorita! Are you staying in NYC the whole time, or are you planning to travel around? If so, where?
Only NY this time, next time I ll be braver and travel the other side. :) I dont think in 10 days you can see a lot, but we walk average 11-12 hours a day and we dont use metro much, we use the buses! I have a good internal navigation system! :biggrin: I have seen most sightseeing and museums and climbed all the high buildings I m allowed to!Two more days here, i don't want to leave, neither my friends, two of them changed their return date ticket already. Joe you might have 2 more polite illegal immigrants in the city for a while:)
I have only good things to say for Ny, only drawback, I cant adjust to time difference and sleep. :sheesh:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Hey I m on the same time zone now as you! NY is like Legoland :D Please if someone from USA wants to adopt me :) I dont wanna go back, I think it suits me here. Plus people are so polite all day, I now think we are so rude in Europe!

Hey, seniorita, welcome to North America! Hope you are having wonderful time in NY! If anyone wants to meet polite people among strangers, you must go to Canada. Canadians are so nice wherever you go.:) I've had different experiences when I was in NY.

I've actually had a fond memory for London. Twice when our party were standing at the bus stop and the side of a subway, having trouble figuring out which route we should take, strangers came up and offered help. Gave us a lot of tips on how to find the places we want to see and the knowledge of the transportation. Once a guy even gave us a coffee shop coupon he had for where we were planning to visit (Obviously the coupon was kept for himself. But he gave it to us).

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
next time you come to the US, Seniorita, come to Alaska! ;) We'll climb tall mountains and call up some Moose and go out on the ocean and rivers... and play with sled dog puppies!

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
next time you come to the US, Seniorita, come to Alaska! ;) We'll climb tall mountains and call up some Moose and go out on the ocean and rivers... and play with sled dog puppies!

Also come to California, Senorita! We have sand, sun...and ice =P

Seniorita, I foresee many more enjoyable trips to the U.S. for you. I hope you get to see the entire country, and Canada as well. Despite my patriotic love of my country, I must concede that the Canadian side has the better part of Niagara Falls. The American part of the falls is marvelous, but the Canadian part is unimaginably impressive. And of course Canada has Kurt Browning!

seniorita

Record Breaker
oh thats dreamy description, ok it s a deal :) I ve seen many pics of Alaska and I have a travel agency next to me that has posters and offers of Alaska trip every week! Whats a Moose?
I hope someone invents a way (MAthman?) to come faster though cause it must be a 15 hours trip?:jaw:I m having hard time being in an airplane so many hours, I cant stay still for so long! :S I think I m having my first jet lag ever! I came back this morning and with so many turbulences and time difference I m in twilight zone! Tomorrow I ll go in KOI (if I wake up in time) and I need to be fresh!
But it was a great experience to see US, I ll start gathering in my money box for the next trip there!

gkelly

Record Breaker
oh thats dreamy description, ok it s a deal :) I ve seen many pics of Alaska and I have a travel agency next to me that has posters and offers of Alaska trip every week! Whats a Moose?

moose

I hope someone invents a way (MAthman?) to come faster though cause it must be a 15 hours trip?:jaw:I m having hard time being in an airplane so many hours, I cant stay still for so long!

Maybe you need to plan a longer trip with a stopover for a few days somewhere in between.