Skating as art | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Skating as art

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
BTW, on the earlier topic, here are Kurt's own words about Dick Button from when I interviewed him in 2006:
"Dick has made me really angry, many times in the past <laughs>. But I think that I was just overly sensitive and his sense of humor, I just didn't get it. And now, I kind of worship him a little bit. And I like getting in fights with him on the air, or disagreeing with him, all that stuff. I think it's great, and I think that we trust each other, actually. I would get mad at what he said on the couch, often. And now that I'm sitting beside him, I don't hear it that way. It's interesting. I think he's better. I think he's changed. I honestly do. And I think he's a little softer, a little gentler, and I think with me he's different."

He is different with Kurt - because Kurt doesn't back down. Perhaps that's what Button truly wants, someone with a backbone, who knows.

Of course, Kurt could also be saying all that because he didn't want to be fired from ABC... but then they dropped skating anyway so it didn't matter ;)

Teenes

On the Ice
Of course, Kurt could also be saying all that because he didn't want to be fired from ABC... but then they dropped skating anyway so it didn't matter ;)

Ha. Kurt is very good at being diplomatic, but there's a difference between diplomatic and waxing effusive ;). There was genuine respect there. I get the impression it's mutual...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Ha. Kurt is very good at being diplomatic, but there's a difference between diplomatic and waxing effusive ;). There was genuine respect there. I get the impression it's mutual...

I'm sure you're right, but you never know ;) :laugh:

No idea why I'm fangirling as bad as I am tonight :laugh:

I'm sure you're right, but you never know ;) :laugh:

No idea why I'm fangirling as bad as I am tonight :laugh:

You and me both, Tonichelle! And why not? I think this guy deserves devoted fans. As for whether he'd be different had he won in '92 and/or '94, I hope he knows how much his non-winning (I can't call it a loss, somehow) gives him extra dimension. To me, he's been such an amazing pro skater that he's almost made the OGM irrelevant, at least in his case. Could he have been any better as a pro if he'd won the gold? I doubt it.

I wonder what's the story behind that comment about not having found his wife if he'd won.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
You and me both, Tonichelle! And why not? I think this guy deserves devoted fans. As for whether he'd be different had he won in '92 and/or '94, I hope he knows how much his non-winning (I can't call it a loss, somehow) gives him extra dimension. To me, he's been such an amazing pro skater that he's almost made the OGM irrelevant, at least in his case. Could he have been any better as a pro if he'd won the gold? I doubt it.

I wonder what's the story behind that comment about not having found his wife if he'd won.

My assumption is he was referring to his 1992 experience (me too, can't call it a loss lol), I think he met Sonia shortly after that? (Teenes might know better as to when they met, I have absolutely no clue) Maybe he meant that had he won in 1992 he'd have retired then, not tried for 94 - so he wouldn't have found himself into the ballet scene (he started working with dance trainers after 1992, right? ack my Browning history knowledge is all floofy)? That's the only thing I can think of because he was with Sonia in 1994 (I always get all bummed when I watch his K&C during the 94 SP when he looks into the Canada cameras and says "I love you, Sonia, I miss you so much. I need a hug." And then the next breath is "I guess the Olympics just aren't my thing." :cry: )

Considering how many Olympians (and champions) since then consider Kurt one of their idols/heros/inspirations I think he's more than "made up for" the lack of Olympic "Glory".

Teenes

On the Ice
I don't track Kurt's personal life like I do his professional life, but I believe he met Sonia in Edmonton when the National Ballet were visiting, but didn't start dating her until after he moved to Toronto. I'm assuming he means 1992 as well, b/c he's often spoken about how he was fully intending to retire after the '92 Olympics and go pro. When the '92 Olympics didn't work out, that's one of the major things that precipitated his decision to move to Toronto, I believe. So if he had won the 1992 Olympics he may have turned pro and never made the move to Toronto (or made it later), and therefore would not have started dating Sonia, etc.

Without discussing personalities, but moreso on the other point of interest that Hernando brought up: Carol Heiss' comment that the average fan didn't have a clue as to what she was doing (or something like that). I have to agree with her back in 1960, but for those viewers who took an interest beyond the presentation, I'm with Button for making that somewhat less clueless.

However, the dramatic change in scoring in recent years, namely the CoP. IMO, the average Fan is clueless with the point system. I think that the originators believed that the regular fans of 6.0 system would have the impetus to study up on the workings of the CoP. A few did but the decline in interest in Figue Skating has taken its toll both at LIVE and on TV. When one skater gets an arena ovation but is beaten by a skater with more points doesn't exactly resonate well with a fan who believes in perfect skating at the Senior level.

However, there still exists a social aspect of figure skating and those costumes are keeping this group happy. :think: :)

janetfan

Match Penalty
But is it sport or is it entertainment?

Does it matter as much if no one is watching? If a broad enough fan base doesn't get it how does that help skating?

Surely skating needs to be about more than pleasing a few CoP geeks if it is to have a healthy future and remain viable in USA :think:

It seems out of the question to have a US Natls in NYC at Madison Square Garden these days..
Why do we see tthe Westminster Dog Show from Madison Square Garden in NYC and broadcast Live on TV but not skating?

Easy enough to conclude that Americans find dogs more entertaining than skating.

Perhaps it helps that no one has tried to make the Westminster Dog Show more like "speed skating," ;)

Last edited:
^ I thought Joe made a really interesting point a while back, based on your quote from Carol Heiss.

Back in the day, the public perception of figure skating was Sonia Henie movies and the Ice Follies. Along about 1968, with Peggy Fleming, the television networks started giving figure skating some exposure as a sport, with programs like Wide World of Sports and a few snippets of actual competition. This continued up through the early nineties and made stars of skaters like Janet Lynn, Dorothy Hamill and (maybe a little less) Kristi Yamaguchi.

Then, after the unnatural spike in interest following the Nancy-Tonia escapade, network television and the skating establishment killed the golden goose by running an endless stream of corny cheesefests. This dropped the public perception of skating as a serious athletic endeavor back to square one (despite Michelle Kwan's one-woman heroics to try to save the day. ;) )

I think the Westminster dog show is a telling comparison. Indeed, lots of viewers tune in, root for the dog they think is cutest, shout wuzrobbed at the television screen when their favorite loses, and have no interest in learning anything about what points the judges are looking for when they pass out the ribbons. Sport or Pageant?

I think it is a sport only to the participants and a pageant to everyone else. Maybe figure skating is like that after all.

Last edited:
Does it matter as much if no one is watching? If a broad enough fan base doesn't get it how does that help skating?

Surely skating needs to be about more than pleasing a few CoP geeks if it is to have a healthy future and remain viable in USA :think:

It seems out of the question to have a US Natls in NYC at Madison Square Garden these days..
Why do we see tthe Westminster Dog Show from Madison Square Garden in NYC and broadcast Live on TV but not skating?

Easy enough to conclude that Americans find dogs more entertaining than skating.

Perhaps it helps that no one has tried to make the Westminster Dog Show more like "speed skating," ;)

I second your thoughts! Much as I loved watching the dogs, it's interesting to contemplate why we can't ever show Nationals (or--gasp--Worlds) in Madison Square Garden.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
^^^^Magnificent, yes. But can he skate?

Outrunning Usain Bolt, OTOH, is no challenge for the magnificent Hickory.

Isn't that for sure, SF! What a glorious dog Hickory is. Like something out of a myth.

Wonder if he has an ear for music, though.

seniorita

Record Breaker
(And I had a major crush on Terry too, still do!)
This is our first common fs thing or what?:laugh:

Did you know that Terry Gannon was a national champion in collegiate basketball (1983)?

No i didnt but now I updated my questions, how tall is he(too tall?), how old is he and is he married?:biggrin:

Mathman i wish you visit the real Holland and eat the gigasize applepie! The tulip blossom is from now till May in holland and the theme this year is germany: Land of Poets and Philosophers, i went on weekend and the first hint I found was this :):):)

That apple pie sounds divine, Seniorita! And the tulips, too. Just the thought of fields of tulips lifts my spirits. Someday I hope to get to Holland. They even have good *chocolate*!

janetfan

Match Penalty
Isn't that for sure, SF! What a glorious dog Hickory is. Like something out of a myth.

Wonder if he has an ear for music, though.

Ever notice there have been some pretty good movies about dogs but none so far that I can recall about skating. :think:

Are Lassie, Old Yeller, Benjie, Hootch, Skip and other dogs that have starred in films really so much more lovable than Michelle? :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Hernando - yes. :laugh: *shines halo*

and the pug is ALWAYS cheated out of a better ranking at those dumb pagaents. I'm sure there's some form of discrimination going on!

janetfan

Match Penalty
Hernando - yes. :laugh: *shines halo*

and the pug is ALWAYS cheated out of a better ranking at those dumb pagaents. I'm sure there's some form of discrimination going on!

Wasn't there a nasty little pug in "Men in Black"? ;)

Maybe not the most glamorous role but I thought the pug hit all his marks and turned in a good if not great performance. :yes:

There used to be a clip of Mao skating with a dog in a commercial but I think it got banned along with the fur on Weir's skating costume :laugh:

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yes Frank was an alien posing as a pug... there's also a wonderful movie called Milo and Otis that is the reason I fell in love with the breed (however they filmed the movie in China where animal rights were non existant and there were some pretty bad stories about what happened to the animals in the movie)... but while they are true stars of the silver screen they don't get recognised nearly enough by the dog shows. JMO though lol

Ever notice there have been some pretty good movies about dogs but none so far that I can recall about skating. :think:

Are Lassie, Old Yeller, Benjie, Hootch, Skip and other dogs that have starred in films really so much more lovable than Michelle? :)

I never thought of that, Hernando. What a depressing thought.