Shawn Sawyer - Out or In? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Shawn Sawyer - Out or In?

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I almost wish I lived in Canada just so I could see Shawn! Love his skating.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
It was a very smart decision from Sawyer! He knew that he did his best at Canadian Nationals and it's difficult to top that. He peaked and that was it. It's a great time to retire and go on pro.

Now, if USFSA wants Jeremy Abbott to go to this worlds, just have Scott Hamilton offer Bradley the SOI for this year, it'll do the trick.:laugh:

For some reason I don't think Bradley would make the same decision. He's also reworked some of his program for worlds and he seems to be REALLY into competing now. I saw an interview with him and Kurt Browning.

figuristka

Medalist
Thanks. I got to see Shawn skate in a show, and also this year at Nationals and my gosh he was wonderful. Such a breathtaking performance and such a creative program. I Think he should be in high demand for shows, as he has alot to offer and iam glad he was signed this year to SOI.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
For some reason I don't think Bradley would make the same decision. He's also reworked some of his program for worlds and he seems to be REALLY into competing now. I saw an interview with him and Kurt Browning.

any chance there's a link to that?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
bummer, being nonCanadian I can't watch it, it's only for Canucks. Oh well.

janetfan

Match Penalty
It was a very smart decision from Sawyer! He knew that he did his best at Canadian Nationals and it's difficult to top that. He peaked and that was it. It's a great time to retire and go on pro.

Now, if USFSA wants Jeremy Abbott to go to this worlds, just have Scott Hamilton offer Bradley the SOI for this year, it'll do the trick.:laugh:

I see no evidence that US Skating wants to get rid of Bradley :think:

I am sure US Skating as well as many skating fans wish Jeremy was more consistent. :yes:

As to Bradley, his winning the 2011 US Men's Championship was a highlight of the season for many skating fans right up there with Sarah Meier winning the European championship and Alissa winning the GPF.

All things considered for a post Olympic season 2011 was quite memorable.

Yuna's return to the 2011 WC feels like the icing on the cake for a season that was full of surprises.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The heck with US Skating's wishes, I hope Ryan has a long career in whatever way he wants to take it. He amuses the heck out of me. :love:

janetfan

Match Penalty
The heck with US Skating's wishes, I hope Ryan has a long career in whatever way he wants to take it. He amuses the heck out of me. :love:

It was the poster I quoted (obvioulsy a Canadian ;) :)) who suggested US Skating has a problem with Ryan Bradley.

Like I said, I see no evidence, zero, zip, zilche, nada, etc that US Skating has a problem with Bradley. To the contrary, I think many were happy to see his perserverance pay off.

It is nice and a special moment in sport when we see good things happene to good people.

I hope Sawyer is just as happy as Bradley.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
bummer, being nonCanadian I can't watch it, it's only for Canucks. Oh well.

Some quotes

Kurt: “One of the things that I think you have that the other guys don’t have is the sheer raw excitement of the jumps.”
Ryan: “That’s cause you never know what’s gonna happen!”

Browning clearly has a lot of respect for Bradley, coming from the tone of the interview.

Ryan loves the quad, does more than he should.

He choreographed his short program as a bit of a joke. He wasn’t skating well, not landing the jumps, etc, so the program was more of an audience treat.

It’s also interesting to see just how much he clearly likes Chan as a person (people keep trying to spread rumours about how skaters hate Chan, so it’s nice to see such a firm rebuke).

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

right *amuse* is the word for it. ;) he's freaking adorable. :love:

Pogue - Kurt was in Bradley's corner in 06, too, but was pretty harsh when he had a less than stellar nationals... then he came back next season and beat the pants off of one of the favorites and Kurt put him in his show. yeah, Kurt likes the kid. Scotty does too. (still no idea why he wasn't asked to be in SOI... maybe because Kurt said yes? here's hoping his national title gets him a ticket into next year's cast).

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Wow! Amazed at somebody's extradinary ability to read between the lines!:bow:

Did I say USFSA has problem with Bradley or wanted to get rid of him?:sheesh: Needless to say they don't.

The reason that Bradley was dragged into here was because I believe that Sawyer and Bradley are on similar boat this year. They both have been competing for ages. Both were considered close to retiring from competitions. Both have been having prolonged consistancy problems. Both have skated very well at their own Nationals. Sawyer skated lights out, and got silver. Bradley also skated well enough with ambitious three quads and got his longtime dreamed National title. Both looked like have peaked at that moment - my opinion - I have to state it clearly.:p Both were extremely happy with their own National results with some sort of disbelieve indicating that the results have exceeded their own expectations.

I do think Bradley might have a second thought if he is offered SOI of this year. He might choose Sawyer's route. Again, it's my opinion. Then again, it won't happen because he is not offered SOI this year at least so far. Abbott skated too bad in LP at the Nationals. It's difficult to defend him with such a skate. Maybe my thought has jumped too fast and too far.:p It was tongue in cheek, but it's offended some people. My apology.

BTW, what does it have anything to do with Canadian or not Canadian?!:unsure:

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Wow! Amazed at somebody's extradinary ability to read between the lines!:bow:

Did I say USFSA has problem with Bradley or wanted to get rid of him?

Both looked like have peaked at that moment - my opinion - I have to state it clearly.:p :

Thankyou, and yes you did make a comment about it and "tongue in cheek" comments are fine.

Then you said Bradley and Sawyer "peaked" at their respective nationals. :unsure:

Was that more "tongue in cheek" :think:

That is an odd comment at best as Bradley had not competed for close to a year and was off the ice recovering from a broken foot for quite a while as he contemplated his future.

"Tongue in cheek" perhaps, but why do I think more of the old "foot in mouth." ;)

By his own admission Ryan was nowhere near "peak condition" at Natls.

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Thankyou, and yes you did make a comment about it and "tongue in cheek" comments are fine.

Then you said Bradley and Sawyer "peaked" at their respective nationals.

Was that more "tongue in cheek" :think:

That is an odd comment at best as Bradley had not competed for close to a year and was off the ice recovering from a broken foot for quite a while as he contemplated his future.

"Tongue in cheek" perhaps, but why do I think more of the old "foot in mouth." ;)

By his own admission Ryan was nowhere near "peak condition" at Natls.

I didn't mean in any way that USFSA has problem with Bradley. I can see that like everyone else.:rolleye: If you insist, that's your problem, not my. I just thought that Bradley might be going the same route as Sawyer has. Somebody just have creative, imaginary way of interpreting other's meaning. What can you do about that?:sheesh:

"foot in mouth"? Sure;). You might be able to have a chance to say that after this worlds. But now, isn't it too early?

Last edited: