Bad.
1. Not Flexible
2. He could be felt INCONSIDERATE to skaters
3. Too CONFIDENT that everything is well under his control

Good
1. Very good SPEAKER for skaters
2. Excellent ABILITY to coach
3. Very STRAIGHT and REASONABLE

In any relationship, if you felt being neglected or mistreated...You LEAVE...NO MATTER WHAT.

really? so you've worked with Orser and have seen this? or is this judging by the fact that he had a huge split with YuNa and he's been raked over the coals by "fans" because of his look in the K&C?

janetfan

Match Penalty
really? so you've worked with Orser and have seen this? or is this judging by the fact that he had a huge split with YuNa and he's been raked over the coals by "fans" because of his look in the K&C?

:)

I never played for the Green Bay Packers but remember the coaching legacy of Vince Lombardi pretty well.

A former Packer once said this about his coaching style, "he treats all of his players the same, like dogs."

Lucky for us he coached the sport of football and not figure skating. ;)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
:)

I never played for the Green Bay Packers but remember the coaching legacy of Vince Lombardi pretty well.

A former Packer once said this about his coaching style, "he treats all of his players the same, like dogs."

Lucky for us he coached the sport of football and not figure skating. ;)

Coaches are by nature the "bad guy" it motivates the team/athlete. But I don't see Brian as being the monster he's been described as ever since last summer's biggest divorce since Kwan vs Carroll.

SkatingAnalyst

On the Ice
Coaches are by nature the "bad guy" it motivates the team/athlete. But I don't see Brian as being the monster he's been described as ever since last summer's biggest divorce since Kwan vs Carroll.

If a person is confident and inflexible but looks a little inconsiderate to others...then the person is a monster?
It is rather typical characteristics of righteous men.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
And I know that neutral fans will push and ask "why does that old breakup have to be brought up again?" but to suggest the opposite (i.e. do you think that any issues with YuNa and Brian would be completely different in every aspect when it comes down to Adam and Brian?) is even more preposterous. There were certain things that Brian did that made me a little uncomfortable in some of his interactions/dealings with YuNa, and then the Kiss N Cry thing with Adam...well, they both found some reason to leave, it's not totally out of line to wonder if some of the issues for both skaters wouldn't overlap.

Ultimately, it comes down to the question of why speculate? In the end, speculation means you end up on one side or another (it's Orser's fault, he's a monster! It's Adam's fault, he can't commit!) and all that does is lower your opinion of one of two talented people.

prettykeys

Medalist
Figure skating fans were complaining about Frank Carroll's "berating" of Mirai Nagasu in the Kiss N Cry earlier this year when he told her she "gave it away" at US Nats. Nothing new.

However, maybe some skaters, like Adam, don't need a "bad guy". I LOL at how sad it sounds that Adam could not talk to Orser for support at US Nats and called Ghislain instead. I guess a phone call to Ghislain is cheaper than walking over and talking to his current head coach. :sheesh:

Ultimately, it comes down to the question of why speculate? In the end, speculation means you end up on one side or another (it's Orser's fault, he's a monster! It's Adam's fault, he can't commit!) and all that does is lower your opinion of one of two talented people.
False dichotomy. One can speculate without having extreme and negative judgments on either.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Figure skating fans were complaining about Frank Carroll's "berating" of Mirai Nagasu in the Kiss N Cry earlier this year when he told her she "gave it away" at US Nats. Nothing new.

I was more upset with his comments to the press. Just felt it unprofessional. You'd think he'd learn from the others he flubbed with (Bowman and Goebel, but he was techinically right about them they weren't going to get any better in teh sport)

However, maybe some skaters, like Adam, don't need a "bad guy". I LOL at how sad it sounds that Adam could not talk to Orser for support at US Nats and called Ghislain instead. I guess a phone call to Ghislain is cheaper than walking over and talking to his current head coach. :sheesh:

Do we know if he called the coach or if teh coach called him, or if it was Adam's decision or a team decision? No, we don't. But either way, yeah I wouldn't want to go to Dad either if I screwed up. US Nationals meant for a lot of grumpy coaches this year :laugh:

If a person is confident and inflexible but looks a little inconsiderate to others...then the person is a monster?
It is rather typical characteristics of righteous men.

An interesting characterization. Often one's own righteousness is the very thing that he feels most confident and inflexible about.

prettykeys

Medalist
Do we know if he called the coach or if teh coach called him, or if it was Adam's decision or a team decision? No, we don't. But either way, yeah I wouldn't want to go to Dad either if I screwed up. US Nationals meant for a lot of grumpy coaches this year :laugh:
Adam called Ghislain. He said so in the link in jaylee's Post #56.

*shrug*

SkatingAnalyst

On the Ice
An interesting characterization. Often one's own righteousness is the very thing that he feels most confident and inflexible about.

1 + 1 = 2 is absolute RIGHT.

But, No human behavior or thinking is absolute right.
It depends how you think.

That's why people vote for PEACE.

jaylee

Medalist
So what story would you draw from what you just said?

As I said in the post, the announcement leaves me with questions still. No answers.

Yes. In the video, Adam says, "I went out and called my coach, who was watching on NBC, Ghislain Briand, who is back in Toronto..."

http://www.universalsports.com/video/assetid=bf8f9f39-c03d-411a-a619-6c0a44314d8f.html

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I wonder about this coaching change, since Rippon has been working with the new coach already quite some time and the results have been what they have been (not top three at US Nationals this year).... Or perhaps this is just a temporary solution as Orser is surely more expensive, I´d suppose? The coach is very important, but as important is the skater himself (his determination and work ethic) to become a champion. The future will show if Rippon has those characteristics in him.

Last edited:
It really brings up the question:

If a skater has a bad showing at his/her last competition, is it the fault of the Coach or the Skater him/her self.

My take on it, a skater has had all the coaching he can possibly have from one Coach, and if that is not up to his demands, he should leave that coach way before a competition. When he is actually on the ice to be judged, it is just him being scored for the championship.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Perhaps Adam realized after Nationals that he meshed better temperamentally with Briand than Orser and was more comfortable. People have noted that Briand was the one with Adam last year at 4CC when he skated his best. There was talk that Bebe Liang used to skate better when Ken Congemi was at the boards, more so than when Caroll was at the boards with her. Sometimes, skaters just mesh better from a personality standpoint with one of the coaches on their team and have a better connection. This coach is the one that they have the easiest time getting into their "zone" with because there is something in the way they relate to one another that gets the skater at the right balance of calm/excitement. Often it has nothing to do with "mean" coach or "bad" coach, versus "good" coach or "nice" coach, it is just the relationship. If one coaching team fit all, everyone would be at the same rink taking from the same coaching team from around the world.

Sinclare

Rinkside
As I said in the post, the announcement leaves me with questions still. No answers.

Yes. In the video, Adam says, "I went out and called my coach, who was watching on NBC, Ghislain Briand, who is back in Toronto..."

http://www.universalsports.com/video/assetid=bf8f9f39-c03d-411a-a619-6c0a44314d8f.html

I have thought about this too. If Rippon was working with Briand all this season why would he need to switch coaches if he was a behind the scenes coach already? Why not just continue to work with him? Was 4cc 2010 the only competition Briand went to with Rippon? I think there has to be more to it than that. I saw all the practices at Skate Canada this year including the collision between Adam and Patrick :eek: (It was horrible thought they were both really hurt) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F80ouAg4l5Q
Nothing stood out to me as unusual. The arena was somewhat empty during the practices and you could hear the exchanges between the coaches and skaters. Brian looked very frustrated during some of the practices, I remember some of us getting mad that he was overreacting but I wouldn't say mean. At one point Adam came to the boards for a tissue he was coughing quite a bit (if I remember correctly he had a cold) and when he skated away Brian knocked away the tissue box to the floor and kicked it. It was weird. My guess is that something happened either at or after this competition.

sigrid

On the Ice
At one point Adam came to the boards for a tissue he was coughing quite a bit (if I remember correctly he had a cold)
Yes, according one canadian newspaper, in an article published right after the competition:

American Adam Rippon, who trains under legendary Canadian skater Brian Orser in Toronto, finished third, despite battling a nasty cold and asthma all week.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I think the fact that he called his assistant coach is very telling and it can be as simple as Briand being able to put Adam in a good state of mind before he skates.
I don't deal well with authority figures and do well with bosses who are more nurturing and supportive. Maybe Brian is just too intense for Adam.

I don't think anyone is the bad guy, just some relationships work better than others. If this past season wasn't the 'make or break' season for Adam this next season most definitely is. His timing for this is good, he has all spring and summer to work his butt off with his new coach.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Re, Adam at Skate Canada, he blogged about the collision with Patrick. I quoted the relevent part on Adam Rippon's Blog or how his crash with Patrick saved his Skate Canada competition! thread. (Well there is a link there too. I was a little confused because of the posting problem related to GS policy.) He had a very bad cold and was in a deep self-pity mood until he was shaken up by the collision. Interesting glimpse into his head.

Though Adam's fall was more spectacular and some haters were blaming Patrick, I was quite concerned for Patrick being slow to get up because he had just recently hurt his back very badly and the pain came back though he tried to hush it.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I think the fact that he called his assistant coach is very telling and it can be as simple as Briand being able to put Adam in a good state of mind before he skates.
I don't deal well with authority figures and do well with bosses who are more nurturing and supportive. Maybe Brian is just too intense for Adam.

I don't think anyone is the bad guy, just some relationships work better than others. If this past season wasn't the 'make or break' season for Adam this next season most definitely is. His timing for this is good, he has all spring and summer to work his butt off with his new coach.

I said something similar about connection and relationship on the last page.