Bradley wants to 'bring home some hardware' | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Bradley wants to 'bring home some hardware'

janetfan

Match Penalty
Really? College basketball & golf = graveyard ratings? I have nothing more to add.

College basketball......are you kidding me? There are so many hundreds of hours of college BB on TV it is incredible that you would compare one weekend against anything.

pssss, ever notice they show college BB from the beginningof the game to end. Did you notice the entire NCAA tournament was broadcast Live, Every second of it. :sheesh:

You sound hard like you are trying to convince yourself and others here of what simply is not true.

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw1L44jVVUE&feature=related

Wanna take a guess where this was? I hear a lot of clapping during the performance and cheering.

Thank you, wallylutz! It was a fun number. Russians like Chan. They certainly know what was a good quality skating, and appreciated that.

I'm not so sure if Bradley's "lossing on tech, adding more entertainment" approach would work anywhere outside of US. If he skates well, I'm all for him to win a medal at the world - though I don't like his LP since last year. But it doesn't matter. He is a nice guy. After all, he is the one US counts on to get the highest position for the country.

The delay for the Worlds does helpe Bradley, but undermine everyone else's body and mental strengthes, especially for the Japanese skaters, I imagine.

By the way, Hernando, I don't think CoP is a "crap" like you hated so much. That figure skating is deminishing in US has much deeper and wider reasons than a scoring system.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
By the way, Hernando, I don't think CoP is not a "crap" like you hated so much. That figure skating is deminishing in US has much deeper and wider reasons than a scoring system.

Please fill us in then with your all American perspective. I can't wait to hear your thoughts :yes:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Um, okay - Ryan Bradley gives a perfectly reasonable interview, if a bit ambitious, and in no time at all the thread becomes an OT discussion of the greatness/awfulness of Patrick Chan, who is either hated by everyone or beloved the world over, depending on who you choose to believe. I remember when Michelle Kwan used to pop up in every thread, but clearly she has been replaced! I miss the days of the MK tangents. So, Chan fans, instead of bringing him into completely unrelated discussions, how about you start a dedicated Chan thread like the great Plushy thread of 2009, where you can discuss him to your heart's content, ponder which X-Men/Harry Potter character he is, and debate whether or not he's better than Yagudin? Maybe you can make it to 2603 posts (mods willing), thus proving who's the GOAT.

FWIW, I've seen Ryan skate live, and he's going to need a lot of help achieve his goal. But hey - 1. KvdP has hardware from Worlds (2008 small medal) and 2. A man's reach should exceed his grasp, etc. - right? Nothing wrong with being ambitious, and Ryan seems like a good guy. At the very least, I hope he'll have a better showing than last year.

[Edited to add: This post is in response to the argument above between Hernando and Walltlutz, not to Buttercup's observations from the Lone Star State. :) ]

Gosh, is this what I was sounding like when I was ranting on about how virtuous I am after I started a foolish and cantankerous fight with SkateFiguring yesterday? :eek:: (O wad some Power the giftie gie us. To see oursels as ithers see us! -- It wad frae monie a blunder free us. :))

Can I plead that I was sick with a fever? (True. I feel better now, thanks. :) )

Anyway, here's the thing. In figure skating, as in other sports, whoever scores the most points wins. Ice is slippery, anything can happen, yadda,yadda, yadda. But Patrick is a lean, mean CoP-point-scoring machine. To use a baseball analogy, he can hit for power, he can hit for average, he can beat you with his glove, he can beat you with his arm, he can beat you with his feet. (In Patrick's case, especially, he can beat you with his feet. )

Some people might want to change the rules or turn back the clock, but it is what it is. (JMO. ;) )

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Blame it on "Chan Fan Paranoia" or whatever some might want to call it.
I appreciate "Buttercup's post which was well thought out and made some good observations in a very fair and rational manner.

That was not the case on a couple of threads the past few days.
It might be poor form on my part to feel some resentment towards the "Chan Gang" but if they feel free to blow so much Cop smoke at Ryan they should expect to hear it back.

Patrick is not the world champion, he is not an Olympic medalist and not every skating fan is enamored with his style of skating.
For me he is nowhere near Yagudin (but who is)?

This bit about crowning him the "best of all time" is rubbish.
Evan beat Chan at '09 Worlds and at the big show in Vancouver. Plushy beat Chan on one good leg. Is Evan the greatest of alltime just for beating Chan :laugh:

Let's see the CoP "chosen one" win a few titles before we even compare him to past champions.

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Please fill us in then with your all American perspective. I can't wait to hear your thoughts :yes:

Please go back to my original post and read. I made a mistake on writing and have changed it. I meant what I said after the changing.

Buttercup, the interview itself made Chan into the picture. That was the reason that Chan's name has been in the thread. If you go back to the first page of this thread, you can see that the greatness/awfulness of Chan started from Mathman's post when he was sick and had fever. Mathman, you are one of the posters on GS who is highly respected by many. You still are. Though, occasionally, I'm puzzled and upset by your posts.:biggrin:

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
[Edited to add: This post is in response to the argument above between Hernando and Walltlutz, not to Buttercup's observations from the Lone Star State. :) ]
The Lone Star State? Me? :scratch: The last time I was in Texas, Reagan was president and Scott Hamilton was the the reigning OGM.

Buttercup, the interview itself made Chan into the picture. That was the reason that Chan's name has been in the thread.
I read the interview. It was a standard "training with skater X has inspired me so much" that we see in many interviews (e.g. whenever a dance team makes the move to Canton), and was a minor part of the interview. Yet it somehow led people to criticize Ryan for not cramming his programs with transitions and working to up his PCS. I'm sure training with a someone of Chan's ability is indeed a positive experience for Ryan, but that doesn't mean he should strive to be like Patrick, just to be the best skater he can be - based on his own talents and abilities. He's not a kid anymore and he's not going to suddenly become a completely different skater.

Sadly they are still alive and well on many threads. Blah. ;)
I take full credit/responsibility for this one and will atone for it by signing off. ;)

Sadly they are still alive and well on many threads. Blah.

When I first started posting on figure skating boards back in 2001 I thought the reason for their existence was to see who could post the most flowery praise of Michelle Kwan. (I did my best. :) )

Imagine my surprise when i discovered that there are differences of opinion in the skating world!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Imagine my surprise when i discovered that there are differences of opinion in the skating world!

yeah, you misguided folk thinking MK is so grand are really slow in figuring out how wrong you are... delusions, I tell you! :laugh:

wallylutz

Medalist
When I first started posting on figure skating boards back in 2001 I thought the reason for their existence was to see who could post the most flowery praise of Michelle Kwan. (I did my best. :) )

You must have missed the Tara - Michelle Fight Board which was created right after the 1998 Olympics. For example, try spelling Tara's name backward (aka. tar a) - it was a common phrase back then. And IBB technology didn't have the Ignore Function at that time - it was a true battleground back then. Nowadays, with the Ignore User Function, things are so much simpler and +1 from today as well. I don't mind difference of opinion, otherwise, I wouldn't post here. Though some people are probably reincarnated from being banned previously and I don't like conversations that are purely waste of time.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Hello, Mathman, welcome back from the dark side. :)

As for ranting, being virtuous, and starting foolish and cantankerous fights, you are such an amateur. There are pros you can learn from.

Exhibit A: Poster X, a proliferative provocateur very pleased with himself when he throws out random irrelevant insults at anybody who replies to him, like a child who discovers how to get attention with rude loud nonsensical utterances so he gets to fling some stinky stuff he is extremely proud of producing himself.

Such a child shouldn't receive more attention or feeding to produce more of the crap.

I haven't read anything official from NBC as increasing the ratings for figure skating on TV. However, I could believe it happened because of the GPs.

They are the first skating competitions of the new season after a 6 month layover. Even the departed casual fans might want to check it out. What are the ratings for the Nats and 4CCs?

I happend to like the GPs, and I wish they could be extended for repeating them further. It's like Major League Baseball where individual Teams play each other several times leading up to the Pennant. I'd like to believe that the GPF could be on a Sunday afternoon as a serious competition. (Yes, I am dreaming :eek:hwell:)

For example, try spelling Tara's name backward (aka. tar a) - it was a common phrase back then.

OK, I can't help myself.

Tara saw I was a rat.

Math problem: Find a nine-digit palindrome whose square root is also a palindrome.

Answer: 123454321. :)

^ :bow:

But I think we should get back to the topic of this thread, "Will I win a medal?"

Nay, Ryan. :)