Armin wants help picking out LP music | Golden Skate

Armin wants help picking out LP music

Arianne

On the Ice
Armin M. just tweeted that he would like any suggestions for his program music this season! Anybody have any suggestions that we could send him? I'm thinking...

I don't know the Hummel (though I know he was roughly a contemporary of Beethoven, so that should be interesting and unusual), but the Kalinikov is a piece I like, and it has the virtue of not being commonplace. Very interesting choices!

Hmmm. I've always wanted to see someone skate to the nocturne from Sibelius's incidental music for the play King Christian II.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Armin M. just tweeted that he would like any suggestions for his program music this season! Anybody have any suggestions that we could send him? I'm thinking...

We should send him Mao

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think the movie "Timeline" has excellent music for skating choreography.

russell30

Final Flight
Armin I say:

you have a great look to do pieces from "The Mummy Soundtrack", with a gorgeous black and gold outfit, great eye liner - like the egyptians wear.

Also a "Song for India" program, pieces from Taj Mahal, you have a eastern look.

Or something totally different "Pan's Labyrinth" soundtrack great pieces there, full of light and shade.

I would be happy to do the choreography

Silver, I believe that's the Schindler's List main theme from the Spielberg film, composed by John Williams. There have been at least two beautiful programs skated to that music, one by Paul Wylie, and one by Katarina Witt. I believe an Israeli pair recently used it as well.

(Happy Passover to you as well.)

I thought of two lovely Sibelius pieces, which would have to be cut but which have much possibility for jumps and also artistry: the tone poem En Saga and the Nocturne from his incidental music for the play King Christian II (which I mentioned above but didn't link to). I always wanted to see Wylie skate to the latter.

En Saga
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo7z469Y7bg

King Christian II Nocturne
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4eAsOZtkIk

That was fast! What a community! Thanks, Olympia. (I'm not Jewish but thank you for the Passover wishes, too.) No wonder the music is so familiar. It would be amazing if Armin, who is Iranian-American, chose to skate to a music associated with Jews.

Listening to Sibelius now.... the Nocturne is lovely.

ETA: Paul Wylie's Schindler's List program - WOW. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I'd like to see him skate to something upbeat & happy. He is a "nice" skater, very reliable & consistent, pleasant to watch but not exciting or with interesting choreography.

I'd like to see him skate to something upbeat & happy. He is a "nice" skater, very reliable & consistent, pleasant to watch but not exciting or with interesting choreography.

Spoken like a true fan of the nicest of all possible skaters, Todd Eldredge. :love:

MasterB

Final Flight
Armin,

I have watched you skate since you were a Novice. I knew then that you would be one of America's top skater. I have always enjoyed your style and the ease with which you are able to deliver the jumps. I don't know you on a personal level other than you are an excellent piano player as well. If I had to give you advice is to take lots of dance classes and I don't mean ballet. Try different varieties of dance it will help your performance level. Dance wouldn't be difficult for you as you already posses a great sense of movement. Good luck in your music search.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I tweeted to him to consider the Beethoven Symphony #3 (used in "The King's Speech"). Yes, I know that's a serious piece. Now that I think of it some more, I would love to see him skate to Mr. Holland's symphony from Mr. Holland's Opus (the movie also had Beethoven's #3 in it in a very poignant scene).

BTW, we saw Armin skate at the Wilmington (DE) Skating Club last weekend. Now he skated to 2 exhibition programs with lyrics, and was delightful in both - "A Foggy Day in London" (Michael Buble version) and "Summertime" (not sure whose version).