Evan Lysacek's Olympic Program Music | Golden Skate

Evan Lysacek's Olympic Program Music

russell30

Final Flight
Would anyone know if Lori Nichol used the New York Philharmonic CD again for Evan's Scheherazade OL 10 LP like she did for Michelle in 2002?

Also would anyone know the orchestra used for Evan;s Firebird SP?

Hope someone can help:biggrin:

Interesting question! I have no idea where one could find that out, short of contacting Lori herself. I, alas, can be of no help to you. With few exceptions, I can't pick out one recording from another, and I'm not sure they give out that information when handing out program notes for the skaters' music. I always feel lucky if they even tell us what the piece is. Many of them I can recognize, but it wasn't until this year that I learned that the beginning notes of Kwan's "Song of the Black Swan" program actually came from a piece with that name by Brazilian composer Hector Villa-Lobos. (I knew it wasn't from the Dvorak chamber work that formed the rest of the program, but that wasn't much of a help to me!)

Maybe someone else will have an idea of where that information is available. If so, I'd love to learn the answer also!

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Lori didn't do Michelle's Scheherazade. Frank Carroll and Sarah Kawahara did, so it may be the same recording, because Frank was involved in choreographing Michelle's program.

Well, knock me over with a feather. I had forgotten that. Anyone remember why Lori didn't choreograph for their prize student in an Olympic year?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Well, knock me over with a feather. I had forgotten that. Anyone remember why Lori didn't choreograph for their prize student in an Olympic year?

Because Michelle chose not to go to Lori for choreography that year. She wanted to try something new. She tried another thing new when she left Frank right after Nationals.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I like the Scheherazade music cuts which Lori used in Evan´s freeskate, it is always great as the performance builds up towards the end.

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Why am I thinking Evan used Rhapsody in Blue by TT and revised by Lori?
IIRC, Evan used Rhapsody in Blue (which I actually call the Gershwin Medley program since other pieces were used in addition to Rhapsody) choreographed by TT for the 2008-2009 season. It was either after a Grand Prix event or Nationals (where Evan came in 3rd) that Lori was brought in to revamp the program. If it was after Nationals, it was successful since he won Worlds :)

janetfan

Match Penalty
Interesting question! I have no idea where one could find that out, short of contacting Lori herself. I, alas, can be of no help to you. With few exceptions, I can't pick out one recording from another, and I'm not sure they give out that information when handing out program notes for the skaters' music. I always feel lucky if they even tell us what the piece is. Many of them I can recognize, but it wasn't until this year that I learned that the beginning notes of Kwan's "Song of the Black Swan" program actually came from a piece with that name by Brazilian composer Hector Villa-Lobos. (I knew it wasn't from the Dvorak chamber work that formed the rest of the program, but that wasn't much of a help to me!)

Maybe someone else will have an idea of where that information is available. If so, I'd love to learn the answer also!

Olympia I know you love music and here is something for a rainy day.

http://stokowski.org/1934_More_Electrical_Recordings_Stokowski.htm

Scroll down and you will find links with historic recordings of "Scheherazade" (and other gems) by Stokowski and the Philadelphia Orchestra from 1934.

"Scheherazade" has been a longtime specialty of the Philadelphia Orchestra, first under Stokowski and then Ormandy.

The 1961 recording of Scheherazade under Ormandy is my favorite and it is not hard to hear differences in tempo and coloring from later recorded versions.

NEW York, especially under Bernstein, always played it too fast. (Lenny was fond of his "bennies." ;))

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Thanks for Curry!
Watching that clip reminded me of how he skated with Peggy and Janet. Then it made me wish he was with us today, maybe skating with Shizuka or Alissa.
Or Mao, Yuna, Laura, Caro.

Wouldn't that be something?

Last edited:
Thanks for Curry!
Watching that clip reminded me of how he skated with Peggy and Janet. Then it made me wish he was with us today, maybe skating with Shizuka or Alissa.
Or Mao, Yuna, Laura, Caro.

Wouldn't that be something?

Yes, indeed.

Snoopy

Rinkside
I don't know but I sure wish somebody would compile a CD with skaters' cuts of music, so that I could listen while choreographing in my head and pretending I'm in the Olympics! (side note: yes, I am a geek).