Special Ice? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Special Ice?

Krislite

Medalist
Yuna Kim confirmed in an interview after her SP practice that the ice was softer than usual. She said she felt nervous at first but quickly adjusted and did a clean run-through of her program.

Lilith11

On the Ice
Yuna Kim confirmed in an interview after her SP practice that the ice was softer than usual. She said she felt nervous at first but quickly adjusted and did a clean run-through of her program.

I don't think it affected her negatively too much... and may have actually helped because according to reports, she two-footed her first 3F attempt, but did it perfectly her 2nd and 3rd try and according to a tweeter, her 3rd try was massive, flew like a quad! :D

Certain skaters like Oda land with a smooth pliet(sp) and fab run out. Fans seem only interested in the rotations in the air, in fact they accept faults on the landings as partial credit. JMO

mot

On the Ice
I recall a Japanese skater once said that ice in North America tends to be harder and thus has more kick back than ice in Europe in general. He said he preferred European ice. I also heard it had something to do with some North American rinks being shared with ice hockey. There were some concerns about the venue at Vancouver Olys being shared with short track, as the temperature needed to be adjusted depending on which sport.

Also I remember this special ice technician in Japan talking about how to create ice for speed skating - something to do with the temperature control at each time they spray water or something like that - so that good results can be made on it. Allegedly he was famous for creating record-making ice. So much for just a sheet of ice...

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
This sounds like an experiment to help skaters save their knees. Not such a bad idea. For years, skaters have injured themselves doing these amazing feats on the ice. I hope this "special ice" will help protect these skaters from further injury. I am sure it is all legal and approved by the skating federation.