Practice Reports | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Practice Reports

evangeline

Record Breaker
From what the clip shows Yuna's lp is not that great, I like Mao's better. Maybe the best part was missing. We'll see.

Well, to be fair, Yu-Na clearly left out some choreography during her practice run-through. I'm really loving the music though, especially during the ending with the spirals.

seniorita

Record Breaker
^evangeline, it was Easter, do lambs instead of goats count? I did my share in sacrificing for Dai, I ate too much Lamb, I hope it helped! :)

babayaga

On the Ice
Where are the practice reports/videos of the US ladies?

I read somewhere that Alissa will only arrive to Moscow on Wednesday. This is probably true since she wasn't at her practice today. People who post comments from practices never mentioned Rachael either.

Krislite

Medalist
I read somewhere that Alissa will only arrive to Moscow on Wednesday. This is probably true since she wasn't at her practice today. People who post comments from practices never mentioned Rachael either.

Wow, so she's only getting one day of practice at the rink? :eek:

Layfan

Record Breaker
Oh, wah. It says I can't get those clips of Yuna and Mao in this country. But so glad to hear that both are looking strong. Impressive from Yuna. I wonder how free she'll be when she actually performs. One thing that was so impressive about her Olympic skates is that she didn't really look tight despite all the pressure. But she had been competing all season. Strange that we'll only get to see her programs once this season. Maybe all her touring will help with her performance level.
Impressive to hear about Miki's triple triples too! I would definitely call her the front-runner for gold at this point although not an overwhelming favorite.
Thanks for the reports everyone!

Wow, so she's only getting one day of practice at the rink?

yeah, I had the same thought. She used that strategy at nationals and it worked. But this time there is jetlag to consider. Is Rachael already there?

lavender

Record Breaker
I think i like the long better than the short. Right now I can't see masterpiece like Brian spoke of but you can't really say until the actual competition. I thought it was a nice skate from Yu na. Her jumps when completed look so easy. I'm glad she's not doing Michelle's inside out spiral. This spiral looks much better and stretched. She did stop so it's more missing choreo missing. She will amp it up when it's showtime so I can't wait.

Iscariot

On the Ice
I am a little dissapointed about Yuna's long, of course its beatiful and all stuffs but its the same for me, quite weird but i remember last year program to have more and better transitions beofre the elements, and also her layout its quite bizarre her 2-3toe is high and nice and she can get +2 on it, why the change to a 3sal, but well I am now rotting more for Mao's programme, since she made some changes at 4CC her liebestraum is amazing, but of course i hope both of them skate to their fully potential

Lilith11

On the Ice
I am a little dissapointed about Yuna's long, of course its beatiful and all stuffs but its the same for me, quite weird but i remember last year program to have more and better transitions beofre the elements, and also her layout its quite bizarre her 2-3toe is high and nice and she can get +2 on it, why the change to a 3sal, but well I am now rotting more for Mao's programme, since she made some changes at 4CC her liebestraum is amazing, but of course i hope both of them skate to their fully potential

She can't do her 2A+3T due to the rule changes that restrict her to only 2 2A's (last year, she had 3 2A's); well that and it's only a practice skate... and she said in an interview afterwards she was nervous, first time unveiling it to the public. Though honestly, I'm am worried about her tech case and if it'll be strong enough to compete w/the frontrunners, Miki and Mao >.<

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Yuna had to drop her majestic 2A+3T and replace it with 3S+2T due to the ISU rule changes (which in my opinion was designed to close the gap between Yuna and other skaters). It's a loss to the figure skating world that we don't get to see the world's best 2A+3T combo, but you can thank the ISU for that. But at the same time, I *really* love 3S+2T in this new program. It's very subtle and smooth, and fits nicely with the choreography.

Krislite

Medalist

Limits on the number of double axels to two in the long program means she had to give up one of her double axel combos. Her team chose to omit the 2A+3T combo. Better to repeat a higher valued triple---the triple salchow.

Now if she fixed her triple loop it wouldn't be a problem. I think the rule change was meant to encourage this, but in Yuna's case she didn't think it was worth it.

Last edited:

Ravensque

On the Ice
BrendaIrvingCBC Brenda Irving:
Just spoke with Tessa Virtue/Scott Moir-said their Free Dance is their most demanding+creative ever. Saw it today in practise-scary good!
12 hours ago

Great to hear this very encouraging comment. I can't wait (like all their other fans) to see this "scary good" FD. I want to see them "rock it" all the way to the top of the podium.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Yuna had to drop her majestic 2A+3T and replace it with 3S+2T due to the ISU rule changes (which in my opinion was designed to close the gap between Yuna and other skaters). It's a loss to the figure skating world that we don't get to see the world's best 2A+3T combo, but you can thank the ISU for that. But at the same time, I *really* love 3S+2T in this new program. It's very subtle and smooth, and fits nicely with the choreography.

To be honest, as good as her 2A combos were, I'm 100% for the ISU change of rules on 2A. It was a shame that one could do three 2As and got ridiculous high GOE and beat skaters who did more triples. IMO it should have been changed long time ago. I'm not against Yuna and she was my number one fav going into the olympics, so save it if you want to argue with me. I'm just say it as a matter of fact. No Yuna hater here. It's not a loss to figure skating world, instead a change for a better world.

Last edited:

jatale

On the Ice
I don't understand why the rules limit the number of certain types of jumps used in a program. Why not let the skaters do as many jumps as they want or any other elements for that matter also. Total up all the points and whoever has the most points wins. It should be as simple as that. If a skater can do 9 quad jumps in his/her long program, let them go for it. What is the problem here? Jumps should be ranked by difficulty, yes, but let the skaters create whatever mishmash of jumps and other elements they want, it all about getting points isn't it? Forget about artistry, let the best jumper win. That is what the new rules really are all about it seems to me anyway, so why not just admit it and make the competition a free-for-all?

I'm just pissed about the constant playing around with the rules, it looks like politics in disguise to me. Some skaters will do better under certain rules than others, so each camp tries to make changes that will benefit their skater. The whole thing is kind of slimy if you ask me.

Last edited:

Lilith11

On the Ice
Limits on the number of double axels to two in the long program means she had to give up one of her double axel combos. Her team chose to omit the 2A+3T combo. Better to repeat a higher valued triple---the triple salchow.

Now if she fixed her triple loop it wouldn't be a problem. I think the rule change was meant to encourage this, but in Yuna's case she didn't think it was worth it.

I do wish she would put her 3L back in her program... once again, like her other jumps, textbook and beautiful. Plus, she could have substituted one of her 2A's for that and thus increased her tech base.

Krislite

Medalist
I don't understand why the rules limit the number of certain types of jumps used in a program. Why not let the skaters do as many jumps as they want or any other elements for that matter also. Total up all the points and whoever has the most points wins. It should be as simple as that. If a skater can do 9 quad jumps in his/her long program, let them go for it. What is the problem here? Jumps should be ranked by difficulty, yes, but let the skaters create whatever mishmash of jumps and other elements they want, it all about getting points isn't it? Forget about artistry, let the best jumper win. That is what the new rules really are all about it seems to me anyway, so why not just admit it and make the competition a free-for-all?

You're not serious are you? Triples and quads are limited by the Zayak rule. Last year the ISU effectively extended a part of the Zayak rule to double axels (no more than two in the long program). The purpose of this is to force skaters to do as many variety of jumps as they can if they want to garner more points.