Practice Reports | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Practice Reports

reynycpr

On the Ice
^^I think some reports on twitter said that Alissa would be coming into Moscow today (Weds). Haven't heard anything else. Curious about all the other ladies as well.

jaylee

Medalist
^^I think some reports on twitter said that Alissa would be coming into Moscow today (Weds). Haven't heard anything else. Curious about all the other ladies as well.

Hmm, @USFigureSkating tweeted this picture yesterday, announcing that the whole US team has arrived in Moscow, and Alissa was there: http://plixi.com/p/96159300

that said, I don't think Universal Sports or Lynn Rutherford have tweeted about Alissa and Rachael's practices, which is surprising.

reynycpr

On the Ice
^^ Yup, just found it on IceNetwork, can't post the link but here are some tidbits:

"Alissa Czisny hit the practice rink in Moscow for the first time this morning, looking relaxed and landing the majority of her
jump attempts with ease."

"The U.S. champion used a two-part travel strategy, arriving in Berlin on April 22 to spend a few days training at the Sport Forum, where Dungjen is taking part in an ISU pairs' seminar.
He joins Sato and Czisny in Moscow tomorrow."

Sato quote on Czisny's jumps today compared to the start of the season:
"Her jumps are much better than even earlier in the season," "They are turning with more speed, and are more accurate."

Can't wait! I just want her to skate her best...but bringing home a little hardware wouldn't hurt either :)

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
^^ Yup, just found it on IceNetwork, can't post the link but here are some tidbits:

"Alissa Czisny hit the practice rink in Moscow for the first time this morning, looking relaxed and landing the majority of her
jump attempts with ease."

"The U.S. champion used a two-part travel strategy, arriving in Berlin on April 22 to spend a few days training at the Sport Forum, where Dungjen is taking part in an ISU pairs' seminar.
He joins Sato and Czisny in Moscow tomorrow."

Sato quote on Czisny's jumps today compared to the start of the season:
"Her jumps are much better than even earlier in the season," "They are turning with more speed, and are more accurate."

Can't wait! I just want her to skate her best...but bringing home a little hardware wouldn't hurt either :)

ITA! Please, please!

MarkusNJ

Rinkside
Thanks for posting, MarkusNJ. Welcome! :)

awww....thanks! Always so shy to post here....but thanks!
should I tell the story about how I met Miki Ando at Starbucks 3 weeks ago and she talked to me for a while? SOOOOOO sweet!!!

MarkusNJ

Rinkside
^ Any and all sweet Miki stories are always welcome! :love:

LOL
So I was at the Starbucks right near my home, in Hackensack, where she trains. It was about 7:40 in the morning...so I turn around and there she was, adorable!
So I say "Miki! Hi"
And she look at me, has a huge smile, and says "hello....I am sorry I dont remember you..."
SO I explained I was a huge fan and that she didn't know me....
She smiled and kept saying thank you..
I then said "so, are you going to win worlds???"
and she giggled and said "uhm....I think so??? Just like that, so cute!
So then I went up to go and wait for my coffee after I ordered, and right behind me again was Miki.
She then started talking to me, asking where I lived, etc...
She said all of her family in Japan was OK, but her and the other Japanese skaters were not too happy about worlds, but they had to go....she mentioned some of the Japanese team where not so lucky with their families, but did not mention names.
She was incredibly sweet, engaging, and so so so so pretty. Everyone who worked at the Starbucks knew her, and apparently she always orders Earl Gray tea!
Made me a bigger fan....

chloepoco

Medalist
LOL
So I was at the Starbucks right near my home, in Hackensack, where she trains. It was about 7:40 in the morning...so I turn around and there she was, adorable!
So I say "Miki! Hi"
And she look at me, has a huge smile, and says "hello....I am sorry I dont remember you..."
So then I went up to go and wait for my coffee after I ordered, and right behind me again was Miki.
She said all of her family in Japan was OK, but her and the other Japanese skaters were not too happy about worlds, but they had to go....she mentioned some of the Japanese team where not so lucky with their families, but did not mention names.
She was incredibly sweet, engaging, and so so so so pretty. Everyone who worked at the Starbucks knew her, and apparently she always orders Earl Gray tea!
Made me a bigger fan....

Aww, that is a sweet story! How lucky for you to meet her like that :) I can imagine how the Japanese skaters must feel about not really wanting to go to worlds, but knowing that they have to. Nevertheless, I'm sure they will give it their all!

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
LOL
So I say "Miki! Hi"
Made me a bigger fan....

Miki is such a sweetie! :love: Thanks for sharing your story! :)

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
LOL
Made me a bigger fan....

I've been wondering about this since the earthquake... The plot thickens and I am officially rooting for the Japanese skaters...

janetfan

Match Penalty
LOL
So I say "Miki! Hi"
Made me a bigger fan....

Good story and thanks for sharing. :)

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
To be honest, as good as her 2A combos were, I'm 100% for the ISU change of rules on 2A. It was a shame that one could do three 2As and got ridiculous high GOE and beat skaters who did more triples. IMO it should have been changed long time ago. I'm not against Yuna and she was my number one fav going into the olympics, so save it if you want to argue with me. I'm just say it as a matter of fact. No Yuna hater here. It's not a loss to figure skating world, instead a change for a better world.

Absolutely. The crazy amount of 2A was more than a shame - it was a disgrace. We can be fans, even ubers, but this was rule change that was too late in coming.

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
Very nice story, Marcus! Love Miki and she sounds very down to earth and sweet. No wonder I like her! I hope you have more encounters with her and don't forget to share! Hehe.

skfan

Final Flight
thank you for the sweet story about miki. i like miki more every time i see her--miki herself even more than miki's skating. it makes me feel torn, that worlds was held when miki and the other japanese skaters felt that their hearts weren't in it. i wonder if they really can be at their best. i hope they've made peace with the decision, and are being buoyed by the crowds and the energy of the event.

i actually tuned in looking for dress rehearsal photos of YNK's costumes, but your miki story was an even better find.

jatale

On the Ice
I thought that Miki had followed her coach to somewhere in Europe, leaving NJ behind. Did she come back? Nice story about meeting her, I'm impressed by her fluency in English in the interviews I've seen.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
RE: Yu-Na having to drop her 2Axel-3Toe combo...she wouldn't have to if the Free Skate actually allowed skaters to pick the elements they want to perform. Imagine if the minimum requirement for the Ladies Free Skate was:

*6 jumping passes, two in combination with a second jump
*3 spins
*1 footwork or spiral sequence

And after that 3 elements of the skater's choice (with certain restrictions) could be added to the program. She could do this jump layout:

3Lutz+3Toe
2Axel
3Flip
2Axel+3Toe
3Lutz
3Sal

She would then choose non-jump elements to fill all of her 3 additional flexible slots.