Men's Short Program | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Men's Short Program

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I sent a cosmic request for Patrick to break 90 and he surpassed that!

Too bad about Koz though. I'm somewhat shocked he's below Amodio. Well, one brought it and one under-performed. Bring it tomorrow, Taka!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
My problem with using World records is the fact that scoring changes. That Patrick's sp score is the season's best thus far for anyone is enough of an achievement. We don't need to muddy the waters anymore.

kiz_4Ever

On the Ice
I like Kevin, but after Patrick and Taka he seemed so painfully slow... :(
sad for his quad, he did so much of them in practice!

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Kevin van der Perren

Skating to Romeo & Juliet, Kevin van der Perren reminds me more and more of Timothy Goebel - a strong jumper but lackluster in presentation. A fall on the attempted 4T, but solid 3A and 3F+3T. Improved spins and footwork. Despite his lack of overall artistry, I still respect him as one of those workhorses in skating who fights for everything... though he always seems hard on himself when he misses one thing.

SP: 68.34

stickle

Rinkside
Go Patrick Go!!!
It's so sweet that he beats the world record holder on his home turf and he's right there watching the record got shattered!

When Patrick is on, he makes everything looks so EASY!
Exactly. The skaters after him look slow and almost gawky. What an amazing performance from Patrick. I'm so glad I stayed up to watch it.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Kevin VAN DER PERREN (BEL)

Music: Art of War (based on Romeo and Juliet by Sergei Prokofiev) performed by Vanessa Mae
SB: 73.61

4T - fall, maybe UR
3A
3F+3T
CCoSp
CCSp
SlSt
FSSp

Score: 68.34 and into 10th

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
My problem with using World records is the fact that scoring changes. That Patrick's sp score is the season's best thus far for anyone is enough of an achievement. We don't need to muddy the waters anymore.

Huh? What waters are being muddled? I think it speaks to an impressive perfromance. If he brought had brought that to the Olympics...man!

Krislite

Medalist
So the judges basically just gave Chan +2 across the board on every element, with some +3's thrown in for good measure, didn't they. :rolleye:

If there was any Russian politicking against him, it didn't work. :laugh:

GOE inflation seems rampant this season. The new GOE factoring is probably making judges feel less stingy with it, and the new guidelines for higher GOE is definitely having an effect.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Richard Dornbush is guaranteed to be in the second to last group! Acutally he's in place to be in the final group, but we all know that's pretty unlikely at this point with Oda and Daisuke coming up. Bradley and Miner are close, obviously. If that pair beats two skaters in the final group (possible) then they will also be in the second to final group as well.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Huh? What waters are being muddled? I think it speaks to an impressive perfromance. If he brought had brought that to the Olympics...man!

Base values and program content change from season to season. Thus it's easier, through no specific achievement of one's own, to get a world record some seasons but not another. I spoke about it during the GPF. People got really irritated that Patrick was close to Takahashi's record, but Patrick was operating with what amounted to a five point bonus over Takahashi.

I agree - Patrick was impressive and if he had brought that to the Olympics, it would've been mighty terrific.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick's record SP scores were made without a second step sequence like there was before.

If you double his SP scores, it's pretty much equal to his Nationals' LP.

The judges are saving the PCS for Dai?

janetfan

Match Penalty
Patrick's record SP scores were made without a second step sequence like there was before.

If you double his SP scores, it's pretty much equal to his Nationals' LP.

The judges are saving the PCS for Dai?

They don't save room in CoP. That was 6.0 ;)

Great skate from Patrick though and it was easily the best SP so far and deserves a substancial lead.